Ovenight connections: baggage and boarding pass (consolidated)

Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Ovenight connections: baggage and boarding pass (consolidated)

With an overnight connection (i.e. landing at 6pm taking off the next morning at 10am) is it possible to check the bags all the way through?

Can I get my boarding pass for the 2nds flight as I get my boarding pass for the 1st day's flight?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:57 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
It used to be that you had to be on a 'connection' which is defined as less than 4 hours (and as an 'X' vs 'O' on the ticket) to get boarding passes.

Now, I understand you can get boarding passes that go for 24 hours from the TIME of your first checkin.

Flight #1 departs at 2pm, you land at 6pm .. stay the night and Flight #2 departs at 10am the next day. This should work.

I have done it all on AA so cannot say about OW carriers (and within 'normal' US time zones so cannot comment on Asia/Europe time zones).

I many times have taken a 6am flight out .. with an 11pm flight back (LAX-ORD-MSP). They can issue the BPs except that the final flight (ORD-MSP) leaves at like 7am the next morning so that is outside the 24 hour window.

OLCI .. hm .. not certain when the 24 starts on that since it is 24 before first flight .. may be only that the first flight will be allowed (or the 24 hour clock starts with that OLCI). I always use PERSON checkin at the airport. That might be the 'trick'.

Bags . again on AA should work (unless there is some wierd countries involved).
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes, you have the option of checking all the way through or just to the overnight destination.

So 2 weeks ago went DFW-MIA overnighted, then MIA-ARU - luggage decided to make it to MIA then the wonderful ramp agents decided not to load up 6 couples worth of luggage the next day - all overnighting in MIA...

AA is 2 for 2 on my luggage into the carribean....

Michael
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by lurcher
AA is 2 for 2 on my luggage into the carribean....
They've thrown your bags into the water twice? I think I'd find another airline.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:34 pm

You can not through check bags if your connection is greater than 12 hours .

Your boarding pass for the flight the next day can be issued at the airport when you check in for your original flight. You can check in up to 24 hours in advance. If the agent will not do it for you, then you can check in online and print your boarding passes.

Also , just to add ..Bags will not be checked through for customers ticketed on:

Last connecting flight arriving on day 1
First flight out on day 2 .
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrhone
You can not through check bags if your connection is greater than 12 hours .

Also , just to add ..Bags will not be checked through for customers ticketed on:

Is this true?

I find this hard to believe.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA

So, the second flight out on day 2 is good? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I haven't done any LIFOs recently, but when I have done SMF-DFW <RON> DFW-CZM, I have been required to retrieve my dive gear bags and re-check them the following day. The RON is over 12 hours.

YMMV, but I would like to see this discussed and documented by others.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I haven't done any LIFOs recently, but when I have done SMF-DFW <RON> DFW-CZM, I have been required to retrieve my dive gear bags and re-check them the following day. The RON is over 12 hours.

YMMV, but I would like to see this discussed and documented by others.
I've had the same experience as JDiver on DEN-DFW-MIA <RON> MIA-MHH. The RON is also +12 hours and I've never been able to check through (6 trips).
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:21 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
JDiver .. its just you and your dive gear they don't like!

The last time I did several RONs was years ago .. ORD-SFO-HKG-BKK with an overnight in SFO and HKG. Bags were checked all the way thru ORD-BKK and they arrived with me several days later. Tho again AA>CX may have made the difference.

On a side not .. all kidding aside. Since we cannot 'lock' our bags (ok ok the TSA locks are probably not really THAT safe from a would-be thief) .. do you REALLLLLY want your bags sitting overnight in the AA Baggage area of [insert airport] where they probably would not be too well guarded?

I think I would WANT to check only to the RON location (with or without BPs issue) and feel secure about my luggage.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
JGR, I suspect you're right. :sigh" :added victim entitlement: ROFL!

I've had much more liberal terms from CX, for example - they have allowed bags to remain checked while we RON in HKG, etc. But DFW, not.

I don't mind leaving my bags in AA custody in some locations, but would not do so at MIA or SJU in the US, and in a number of locations abroad. Mind you, I break my regulators down and carry them plus my dive computers in my carry-on. I may be naive, but I'm not stupid.

The places I have had stuff pilfered - once in MIA on checking the bag from a TSA worker (the employee searched my bag and apparently was pretty good at sleight of hand even while pax watched, and my bag was secured after the inspection - my knife was missing when I opened it at my destination, though the bag was still secured,) and once in UIO where they managed to get into the bag and churn everything up - but apparently found nothing of value they wanted.

Last time through UIO and GYE I used old duffle bags for the clothing, wetsuit, etc. and they passed "inspection" wihtout problems.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
I tried to check all the way through from SJU-LAX (arrived 4:30PM) with a LAX-BOI on Alaska the following morning (~8AM).... AA would not let me check all the way through, despite the fact it was ticketed in exactly that manner.

I wish they would have because our family had to drag about 6-7 bags to the hotel and back again early in the morning!

Notwithstanding the fact there may have been a late AS flight from SJU-BOI (we still had a drive from BOI and wanted to break up the trip!).... I think the inter-airline transfer and the time involved were problems.

Sincerely, - jdburns11
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by sechs
So, the second flight out on day 2 is good? Maybe I'm missing something.
Sorry, I didnt explain that very well did I ?

You cant through check even if it is the last flight in first flight out.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:41 am

AAaLot

Yes its true . sorry !

Maybe if enough EP/P/G flyers asked they could set something up, an Admirals club for bags or something !

I think there is a TSA regulation that the airlines must comply with on this issue as well, I will try and find out.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Sorry, I didnt explain that very well did I ?

You cant through check even if it is the last flight in first flight out.
So can't ever check your bags through?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.