Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Eagle: Who qualifies for Free Snacks/Drinks/Pillows?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
American Eagle: Who qualifies for Free Snacks/Drinks/Pillows?

I did a few different searches on FT for this, but couldn't find info. I also searched aa.com and couldn't find the info there either. With that being said, I was on an American Eagle flight (PIT-DFW) this past weekend. After reading the connecting gate information, the flight attendant came over to my seat and the following exchange took place:

FA: "Hi Mr. MeLike2Travel. I wanted to make sure that you got your connecting gate information ok."

Me: "Yep, I sure did." (with puzzled look on my face because I didn't have a clue why he would come specifically to my seat when there was a plane full of other people)

FA: "Also, since you're Executive Platinum (which I'm not....I'm plat, but anyway) would you like a complementary snack box or pillow and blanket?"

Me: "I didn't know they were complementary for elites."

FA: "Most people don't know. Would you like one of them."

I ended up telling him no because I didn't need either of the items. Surprisingly, as I exited the plane he said "are you sure you don't want anything." He really went out of his way to try and give the items to me. I had no idea of this perk, and have never been offered this on any Eagle flights. Is this something new? Have others been offered this? Is it documented somewhere? Again, I did some searches both on aa.com and FT without finding anything related to this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

June 2011 Update: This benefit has apparently been rescinded for PLT / Platinum members:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-6-1-11-a.html

May 2011 Note: While not necessarily definitive, given the level of confusion amongst both FAs and Customer Relations reps about this policy, the following is consistent with the experience of most FT members:

Originally Posted by docr775
back in august I sent an email to AA asking about a clarification on the policy. Here is the answer. I have printed it and I carry a copy with me. I only had to show it once.

August 22, 2008

Dear Mr. docr775:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. We appreciate the opportunity to address
your concerns.

Executive and Platinum member, customers connecting to or from AA and
oneworld Alliance First Class, Business Class, Uniformed Military and AAirpass
customers
may be offered complimentary beer/wine and either a $2 snack or a Snack Box,
when requested on American Eagle. Family members traveling with Premium Customers may
also receive complimentary items. If a flight attendant does not have the appropriate
paperwork to identify these customers, customers may be asked to show their boarding
passes or AAdvantage® membership cards.

We look forward to serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

<employee name redacted by moderator>
Customer Relations
American Airlines

This is an "outgoing only" email address. If you 'reply' to this message by
simply selecting the reply button, we will not receive your additional comments.
Please assist us in providing you with a timely response to any feedback you have
for us by always sending us your email messages via AA.com at
http://www.aa.com/customerrelations.

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the
addressee(s); access to anyone else is unauthorized. If this message has been
sent to you in error, do not review, disseminate, distribute or copy it. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this email from your email system.
dstan
AA Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jun 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm Reason: added update June 2011
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:41 am

Sounds like a new attempt at improving customer service.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
I have not heard or seen anything about those things being free for elite fliers. The f/a just really liked you
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I too was recently offered a free snack box on an AE flight to GRR... very odd but I was hungry so it was perfect. The F/A also gave me a free beer! Thought it was odd, but decided not to protest...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:55 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
I had a flight attendant who was a training (IOE) supervisor offer me a free bag of cashews on a CLE-ORD flight, as a Platinum. I spent a good part of the takeoff, landing and taxiing discussing my segment runs for EXP with her.

I was under the impression the free snacks were only for EXP.. but perhaps they are for PLT as well.

Greg
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD, MRT GLD, HYT PLT, Fairmont PLT, SPG PLT
I remember this discussed awhile back but couldn't find the thread either (odd). Anyway, I remember this being an unnanounced perk for EXPs (apparently for Plat's too). On all the eagle flights I've been on in the last two months (6 or so), I've gotten a free beer or snack box by asking and displaying my EXP card. Some of the FAs seemed puzzled, but didn't question...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.2M, SPG Platinum
I took the DFW-PIT AE flight last week and didn't get offered anything. And if I remember correctly, the EXP across the aisle didn't get offered anything either.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:31 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Well, I know this was in a thread a while back becasue I remember reading about it here on FT--THANK YOU FT---then with several Eagle flights coming up, decided to give it a go and ask about it, and yes, it works. On SEVERAL Eagle flights I have taken, I have asked for and receive a free drink (either a beer or a small bottle of wine) and the cashews. On each of these flights, the FA's basically gave the same reason (summarized):
It's an "unpublished" benefit, free alcaholic beverage and free snacks,either a), for EXP's and Airpass--- IF they/we ask, and/or b) IF they ask and if they can show a boarding pass for their First Class seat on an immediately connecting flight to/from the Eagle flight they're on. They don't publish it in an attempt to be stingy, but realistic---because there's a combination of a LOT of EXP's, Airpass, and connecting F pax on any Eagle flight, and they wouldn't always be able to accomodate all of them. The airline figures that travel savvvy or frequent flyer savvy pax will get the word.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
For the past month or so they've been doing it on Eagle flights from ORD-PNS and back. I'm EXP, but they gave to all elites on the flight. The FA told me that elites get one free item.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:23 pm

I am Palt. On 10/19 I was on a connecting flt. from ord to iad. I had flown first class from slc to ord. Not only did I not get anything free I didn't even get the glass of water I requested! This not my post jmj9905

Last edited by jmj9905; Jan 18, 2007 at 6:11 pm Reason: This is not my post. jmj9905
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:15 pm

Is this still in place for PLTs?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I am Palt. On 10/19 I was on a connecting flt. from ord to iad. I had flown first class from slc to ord. Not only did I not get anything free I didn't even get the glass of water I requested!
Maybe that's because they only offer it to EXPs and Plats.
I don't think that Palts qualify for anything.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by georgehf
Maybe that's because they only offer it to EXPs and Plats.
I don't think that Palts qualify for anything.
Don't they get paltry benefits?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:08 pm

i am just a lowly lifetime plt. but I have to tell you I almost always get my upgrades. In addition I have been able to get all my plan ahead awards. In fact I got 3 first class award ticket to nrt over easter. I am currently waiting for award availabilty from ord as my current tickets are iad to lax to nrt. I hope to hear from expert flyer when that opens up. From my perspective the "lowly platnium" receives a tremedous amount of benefits. I gues if I was Ex. plat. I would be a little more jaded. Thank you AA for my Lifetime Platnium status!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Efrem
Don't they get paltry benefits?
Which sounds like exactly what was received...so we're all good

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.