Search

AA Testing Cell Phone Usage In Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
AA Testing Cell Phone Usage In Flight

Howdy,

Looks like AA is working to get cells up and running in flight. CNN Article - Cell Phone Testing in Aircraft

I think it's interesting; but it's sure going to cut into any quiet time I had left in my day. Unfortunatly - I'm sure I'll be the one on the phone all the time.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Oh geez.... the last thing I want to do is listen to my seatmates yakking away at pointless conversations on their cellphones for the duration of my flights.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Oh geez.... the last thing I want to do is listen to my seatmates yakking away at pointless conversations on their cellphones for the duration of my flights.
Actually, crashing and burning is quite a bit farther down MY list.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:26 pm
travelalot5

Maybe a large scale nuclear war will happen before this becomes a reality.

Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I find the idea of in-flight cell phones absolutely repulsive. I don't want to overhear conversations and, seeing as people have so little consideration for others using cell phones on the ground, have no doubt that the same will be true in the air.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Hmmm.... not sure I can envision anything quite as hellish.

In all seriousness, this is a really, really, really bad idea.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
I think 90-95% of the feedback I've heard (this thread and others) regarding this idea are that people are against it. I imagine only a small number of business passengers would want this capability. But I'll go along with the rest of the people and say please, please, please don't do this
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA1MM EXP,HH SIL,Hertz 5 stars,ACmember
I think this is a bad idea too. I can't imagine hearing many phone ringing during a redeye flight !!!!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:27 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
but what about internet access?

Currently there are 3370 responses to this article's poll. I am one of the 2280 - 68% that are opposed. Not only do I not want to hear the phone conversations of others, I don't want people calling me. The airplane is one of the few times I am excused from not being "a phone call away"

What I do want/need is internet access while onboard. I would like to be able to send/receive e-mail at least once on a flight. I often read/respond to e-mail when I fly, but I have to go online once I land to send the already composed e-mails. Checking the score of the Texas OU game Saturday would be nice, too. It starts after takeoff and ends before landing Saturday.

If the technology for cell phones is planned, why not apply it in a more useful way? In fact, instant messaging (or text messaging or e-mail) might be a happy medium for those that simply must use the cell phone.

Sam
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I find the idea of in-flight cell phones absolutely repulsive. I don't want to overhear conversations and, seeing as people have so little consideration for others using cell phones on the ground, have no doubt that the same will be true in the air.
I couldn't agree more! If this were fully implemented, I would seriously consider flying less. The last row of F would also become prime real estate! Even Bose II can't block people screaming into their cell phones...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Hi, LINDA? GUESS WHAT, we're flying over Keokuk!!!" OMG, no, not that, the death by 1,000 yaps...

OTOH, gimme Internet! That I can use - and if I need, really need, to make a voice call, I will use the airline's satphone...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
"Hi, LINDA? GUESS WHAT, we're flying over Keokuk!!!" OMG, no, not that, the death by 1,000 yaps...

OTOH, gimme Internet! That I can use - and if I need, really need, to make a voice call, I will use the airline's satphone...
Sure. Give me high speed Internet and I'll just use my Vonage softphone. Forget the cell phone.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'll chime with my support a cell phone free airplane and offering WiFi access instead. Passengers already have to deal with listening to other people's conversations sitting rows behind them becasue people can't control their voice levels and/or conversation topics.

Everyone is already louder on a cell phone and then everyone would have to speak louder over everyone else and so forth. A vicious circle! Bose QC 2's would become a requirement for somewhat tolerable flying regardless of cost.

Furthermore, Airlines and the Gov't are so paranoid about everything and anyone post-9/11, you wonder how they can justify completely unregulated cell phone usage by anyone in an airplane as "safe." Schizophrenic.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:58 pm

Another vote for a cell phone-free plane. Who at AA can we write to to voice our opinions? Certainly one would hope that a large number of frequent fliers (ie a BIG portion of their revenue) who rally against this would be heard.

If cell phone use is a must, what about limiting it to 10-15 minutes an hour (anyone can talk between xx:15 and xx:30, but otherwise please be quiet).
Old Oct 4, 2004, 4:26 pm

I'm going to jump right ina dn be the lone dissenter on this - this isn't such a bad idea. There have been plenty of times rushing to a connection and onto the plane last minute that I've need to make one last call and haven't been able to. I'd appreciate the opportunity to be able to do so if need be. And every now and then not having phone access on the flight is an issue, if I'm waiting on an important call. I'm pretty oblivious to other people's conversations once I'm up on the flight (Bose QC2's and gigs upon gigs of MP3s on my laptop), so I'm not too worried about other people talking around me, though I can see how this might create problems during red eyes....

But if you gave me the choice of cell phone or WIFI, I'd definitely prefer the wifi....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.