ARCHIVE: Touching my nuts with unclean hands

Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
ARCHIVE: Touching my nuts with unclean hands

I flew home last night in F. I've finally gotten the hang of this warm towel thing, but this time I decided not to have dinner. The FAs served me my drink and my bowl of warm nuts. I ate and drank. Then they came down the aisle with the warm towel. I declined since I wasn't eating dinner, but then it occurred to me: what is the point of the warm towel if you've already been sitting there eating nuts with your fingers?

There isn't much finger food in an F meal. Shouldn't the towel come before the nuts? If the towel really about sanitation, it should come first. Maybe it is just what I always suspected, a pretentious display.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:43 am
Suspended

I carry a hand sanitizer or an alcohol wipe now. One cannot rely on FAs being med-techs anymore.

I must say, I thought the title of the thread had to do with a TSA secondary search!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:03 am

Talking

Maybe this reads totally differently in the US, but I was really expecting something much more salacious - and definitely OT! Best thread title ever!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Personally, I'd rather touch my nuts with unclean hands than have that nut residue on my hands throughout the meal -- I prefer to have the towel afterwards.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Personally, I'd rather touch my nuts with unclean hands than have that nut residue on my hands throughout the meal -- I prefer to have the towel afterwards.

SO... what you're saying is you don't like nut juice.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Dakota
Maybe this reads totally differently in the US, but I was really expecting something much more salacious - and definitely OT! Best thread title ever!
It reads the same in the States too.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
The hot towel is NOT for cleaning purposes. It is to *refresh*. At least on some of the nicer international airlines, hot towel service appears every hour in F. Not to clean, but to refresh and rehydrate your face.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
awesome thread title!!!

I was reading this in the office and we all fell to the floor! thanks for making us all laugh!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:31 am

I was wondering, could you not save touching your nuts until the FA brings the towels round ? Do you really need to start touching them the moment the opportunity arises - surely showing some restraint and waiting for the towel would alleviate your concerns and avoid any possible hygeine issues. I know I always like to know that a towel is available.

S.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:53 am
mgm

Oh dear, here we go again. Where this thread will degenerate seems pretty clear . Kind of reminds me of those old English "Carry On" films - Kenneth Williams comes to mind in particular.

Anyway, back on topic. I actually like getting the towel before the meal is served - at least it's something to wipe your hands on after fingering those hot salty nuts.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
You don't just lick your fingers afterwards?
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
What would be worst is wiping your face after you've fingered your nuts.....

(And "hand sanitizer"?? Is that upmarket for 'tissue'?)
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sowalsky
The hot towel is NOT for cleaning purposes. It is to *refresh*. At least on some of the nicer international airlines, hot towel service appears every hour in F. Not to clean, but to refresh and rehydrate your face.
Yes, maybe on those carriers, but the fact that it is immediately before meals on AA leads me to think it's intended to be more than a refresh.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, MR, AA
If you notice someone has nut residue on their face, is it proper to point it out, or just use your hot towel to wipe it off?
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:12 am

If the nuts are "dry roasted" then there should be no "nut juice" to worry about. If they are an oil based roast, or "sweaty nuts" then by all means bring on the towels and if need be, press that call button for an extra post-nut-juice removal towel.

We'are all going to hell for this! Bet they have a lot of hot towels down there . . .not to mention . . .warm nuts!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.