You're SomeOne Special Program (SOS) - Discontinued [merged]

Old Nov 2, 2002, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

You're SomeOne Special Program (SOS) - Discontinued [merged]

anyone who hasn't got any SOS slips to hand out recently, that's why. the current program is the end, evidently.

Old Nov 2, 2002, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I called AA Customer Service about ten days ago to request some SOS's. The do not send them out in the mail to elite members in their monthly statements as they did in the past. I received them in the mail a few days ago. They have a different look to them, too.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 3:54 pm
askworldtraveler

they sent me a batch a few weeks ago...... after I requested them.

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++Hilton Gold,Hyatt Diamond(thanks to EXP)

Old Nov 2, 2002, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I just requested a batch a few weeks ago and they sent them right away.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Just received a whole bunch with my new Plat card. Even my 11 year-old got them with his new Gold card. They're a new style - surprised they'd bother if discontinuing the program?
Old Nov 2, 2002, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
Just received a whole bunch with my new Plat card. Even my 11 year-old got them with his new Gold card. They're a new style - surprised they'd bother if discontinuing the program?</font>
Regardless of bother, evidently the program is dust, as the flight attendant union announced this week. check out apfa.org

[This message has been edited by martin33 (edited 11-02-2002).]
Old Nov 2, 2002, 4:59 pm

I couldn't find anything on that website. Do you have a more specific link than the front page? Is there an effective date for the program to go away, or is it immediate?

Old Nov 2, 2002, 5:26 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
pass 'em out while you've got 'em:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The company will soon discontinue the "Someone Special" and "AAchievers" Programs. Final dates for redemption of points and cards have not yet been determined.</font>
Old Nov 2, 2002, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seat1A:
pass 'em out while you've got 'em </font>
[/QUOTE]

Gah! I've got 25 of these things and only one AA flight scheduled before May '03.

If anyone can use some, drop me a line. I'll hand some out on my Eagle flight next week, bit I don't think I can use all 25. ( I suppose I could *really* surprise some random FA )

birdstrike
Old Nov 2, 2002, 6:20 pm

YGM.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 7:34 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
These things are valid forever, and they are well liked. I wonder if anybody is selling them on e-bay?
Old Nov 2, 2002, 7:36 pm
Suspended

While I thought this was a good program to reward employees I always thought it a bit strange. To me, it is sort of like walking into a restaurant, asking the owner to give you a piece of paper to use as a tip.

Perhaps the biggest harm is done to the new FAs that don't get non-rev travel that used these to fly.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 8:12 pm
LLZ

I've asked many FA's (around 10) this year how they liked these SOS's...did they really make a difference, etc.

They were all HUGE fans of them. First and foremost they all told me, it was noticed in their employee file, secondly it gave them the opportunity to win free travel and other prizes. Not one rolled their eyes or was even the least bit apathetic when I questioned them, and these weren't ones I had given them to...just other FA's waiting in the gate area.

I like the program and think it's great to have them to reward exceptional service.

We all know that some do the bare minimum and others go out of their way to make it like it used to be with the limited materials they now have. I think rewarding the latter with something extra is good for them and the passengers.

Don't forget the gate and reservation agents either! They rarely get them because most of us are focused on the in-flight service. But many of them go above and beyond too!
Old Nov 2, 2002, 10:21 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
from www.apfa.org (hotline selection)

Hello. Today is Friday, November 1, 2002. This is George Price, APFA National Communications Coordinator with the APFA HotLine.

The APFA National Officers met with American Airlines CEO Don Carty and other members of Senior Management on Tuesday, October 29th. Mr. Carty personally briefed the Officers on the Company's current financial condition and future prospects. Rumor Control: The Company has not asked the APFA for concessions. Management did ask for open dialogue between the Union and Company officials and employee participation in identifying ways to save money.

The current state of the airline industry has resulted in much rumor and speculation. If it has not been reported on the APFA HotLines and/or web site, the company's information sources, or through credible news services, it should be considered rumor. If you hear information that you cannot substantiate, please feel free to contact the APFA Communications Department at [email protected] or by calling 800-395-2732, extension 8308.

The Company has notified the APFA of several changes being made in flight service procedures. They include:

-Beginning November 1, American will begin charging for liquor on flights to and from the United States and Europe and the United States and Japan. Latin American, Mexican, and Caribbean destinations where liquor is currently complimentary will be included at a later date.

-November 1, Flight Attendants will begin charging passengers $2.00 for purchase of headsets for all flights with in-flight entertainment.

-The responsibilities of the Flight Attendant Training Support Desk will soon be limited to travel arrangements, proffers, and triggers only. They will no longer schedule Flight Attendants for training. Scheduling EPTs will be the responsibility of the Flight Attendant.

-The Company will soon discontinue the "Someone Special" and "AAchievers" Programs. Final dates for redemption of points and cards have not yet been determined.

-American has also decided to make changes to the Attendance Control Policy effective November 1. The changes include:

[This message has been edited by das (edited 11-02-2002).]
Old Nov 3, 2002, 12:06 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by das:
from www.apfa.org (hotline selection)

-November 1, Flight Attendants will begin charging passengers $2.00 for purchase of headsets for all flights with in-flight entertainment.

[This message has been edited by das (edited 11-02-2002).]
</font>
Huh? They announced (AA not he afpa) that headseats would be complimetary effective Nov 1st.

Heard two FA's validate this to other pax on two separate flights this month also...

It was well-reported here also so, I don't believe it. As for the rest...I've no idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.