Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

PED use allowed on AA gate-to-gate in US starting November 2013 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...230552751.html

Title: American Airlines Customers Will Have Gate-to-Gate Use Of Handheld Portable Electronic Devices Beginning This Afternoon

Date(s): 4-Nov-2013 16:33 ET

American Obtains FAA Approval to Allow Extended Use of Handheld Portable Electronic Devices

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines customers can read their e-books, finish reviewing work documents, listen to music or watch videos on handheld portable electronic devices (PEDs) gate to gate beginning at 5 p.m. CST today. American has obtained approval from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to allow customers to expand their use of PEDs onboard American's entire mainline fleet as well as regional aircraft operated by American Eagle Airlines. American has worked closely with the FAA on this initiative.

"We're delighted that our customers are now able to use their handheld portable electronic devices gate to gate," said Jon Snook, American's Senior Vice President - Customer Service. "We know that our customers have wanted additional access to their personal devices on their flights, and we've been working with the FAA for some time to make this a reality. We're excited to be able to deliver this to our customers because of the FAA's expeditious approval."

Beginning this afternoon, customers on American's mainline flights and flights operated by American Eagle Airlines will be able to use PEDs from gate to gate - including during taxi, takeoff and landing - within the United States. American is working closely with its other regional partners to bring the same level of electronic device access to customers on all regional flights by the end of the year.

Here's some additional helpful information about PED use on American and American Eagle Airlines:

When the aircraft doors are closed for departure, devices will need to be in airplane mode.
Wi-Fi access on equipped aircraft will be available shortly after takeoff.
Customers need to secure their handheld devices by holding them or placing them in a seatback pocket. Previously, these devices needed to be stowed under a seat or in an overhead bin during taxi, takeoff and landing.
Because the safety of our customers and people is always our top priority, customers should listen to all safety briefings and comply with crewmember instructions. Our crewmembers don't like to interrupt our customers' productivity, but always want them to be safe.
This change doesn't apply to larger items such as laptops. These items will still need to be stowed during taxi, takeoff and landing.
Some American Eagle flights won't allow the expanded use of PEDs until later this year.
The expanded use of PEDs is one of a number of American's recent inflight enhancements. American has 99 percent of its domestic mainline fleet equipped with Wi-Fi, including its entire fleet of Boeing 737s, 767-200s, MD-80s and Airbus A319s. American's Boeing 777-300ER is the first aircraft in American's fleet to offer international Wi-Fi, enabling customers to remain connected throughout the flight, whether over land or over water.

In addition to Wi-Fi, American's Airbus A319s, Boeing 777-300ERs and new Boeing 737s offer customers modern technology onboard, including in-seat entertainment throughout the aircraft. Customers are able to stay connected throughout their travels with universal power outlets and USB ports at every seat.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
With the ARoid/Lance Armstrong stuff never ending, I was confused about why AA was allowing PED use. Then I realized, wrong PED.

Thanks for the update. Good news!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
+1, glad it's been approved. Wasn't allowed this morning but obviously that's because it's due to start this afternoon.

That being said, I was on a DL flight last night DTW - DCA where it was allowed and I have to say it was very strange. Biggest problem I see going forward is around not listening to the safety briefing. Not that I usually listen to it but I was fully tuned out to everything around me with my QC3s on and playing a game on my iPod and didn't hear a word of it. Had there been an emergency on the ground or on take-off I could see where problems would arise. There was also the part of me that felt almost guilty using it and kept waiting for an FA to come reprimand me.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hillrider
Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...230552751.html

Title: American Airlines Customers Will Have Gate-to-Gate Use Of Handheld Portable Electronic Devices Beginning This Afternoon

Date(s): 4-Nov-2013 16:33 ET

American Obtains FAA Approval to Allow Extended Use of Handheld Portable Electronic Devices

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines customers can read their e-books, finish reviewing work documents, listen to music or watch videos on handheld portable electronic devices (PEDs) gate to gate beginning at 5 p.m. CST today. American has obtained approval from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to allow customers to expand their use of PEDs onboard American's entire mainline fleet as well as regional aircraft operated by American Eagle Airlines. American has worked closely with the FAA on this initiative.

"We're delighted that our customers are now able to use their handheld portable electronic devices gate to gate," said Jon Snook, American's Senior Vice President - Customer Service. "We know that our customers have wanted additional access to their personal devices on their flights, and we've been working with the FAA for some time to make this a reality. We're excited to be able to deliver this to our customers because of the FAA's expeditious approval."

Beginning this afternoon, customers on American's mainline flights and flights operated by American Eagle Airlines will be able to use PEDs from gate to gate - including during taxi, takeoff and landing - within the United States. American is working closely with its other regional partners to bring the same level of electronic device access to customers on all regional flights by the end of the year.

Here's some additional helpful information about PED use on American and American Eagle Airlines:

When the aircraft doors are closed for departure, devices will need to be in airplane mode.
Wi-Fi access on equipped aircraft will be available shortly after takeoff.
Customers need to secure their handheld devices by holding them or placing them in a seatback pocket. Previously, these devices needed to be stowed under a seat or in an overhead bin during taxi, takeoff and landing.
Because the safety of our customers and people is always our top priority, customers should listen to all safety briefings and comply with crewmember instructions. Our crewmembers don't like to interrupt our customers' productivity, but always want them to be safe.
This change doesn't apply to larger items such as laptops. These items will still need to be stowed during taxi, takeoff and landing.
Some American Eagle flights won't allow the expanded use of PEDs until later this year.
The expanded use of PEDs is one of a number of American's recent inflight enhancements. American has 99 percent of its domestic mainline fleet equipped with Wi-Fi, including its entire fleet of Boeing 737s, 767-200s, MD-80s and Airbus A319s. American's Boeing 777-300ER is the first aircraft in American's fleet to offer international Wi-Fi, enabling customers to remain connected throughout the flight, whether over land or over water.

In addition to Wi-Fi, American's Airbus A319s, Boeing 777-300ERs and new Boeing 737s offer customers modern technology onboard, including in-seat entertainment throughout the aircraft. Customers are able to stay connected throughout their travels with universal power outlets and USB ports at every seat.
99% of the domestic fleet has wi-fi???? How on earth do the domestic 757s equate to 1% of the domestic fleet? Some fuzzy math
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Pretty cool... the FA on my flight on Friday mentioned that this was "coming soon". Didn't think it would be this soon. Looking forward to this.

^
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sts603
99% of the domestic fleet has wi-fi???? How on earth do the domestic 757s equate to 1% of the domestic fleet? Some fuzzy math
It's an outright lie.

There is no "international" or "domestic" fleet to begin with--the closest distinction is overwater-equipped aircraft (that are required for domestic flights to Hawaii or San Juan, for example) and not-overwater-equipped ones (that can do international trips to Mexico City or Toronto, for example).
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by hillrider
...Because the safety of our customers and people is always our top priority, customers should listen to all safety briefings and comply with crewmember instructions...
"customers and people" ? are they not the same ?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Interesting. On the flight from DFW to SJU on 11/3, the FA's were all in a frenzy because customers had all heard the news, but AA hadn't approved yet. They were having to get them all turned off despite arguments. They mentioned AA hadn't even started yet for approvals - guess that was a typical FA rumor.

Glad this is here. It's LONG overdue.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Maybe the FAs who aren't on the mic doing the announcement need to pay attention
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
FAs and pilots are employees, so they're not customers, but they are people. Their safety is impacted by what customers do (or don't do).

I think the PR folks got this one right (as opposed to #6 above).
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Effective in 33 minutes. Which flight will be the first? ^
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by keepssmile
Effective in 33 minutes. Which flight will be the first? ^
i don't know but I'm in DFW (just came in fro. PHX) and have a 6pm AE flight so I'm looking forward to it!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Here's a question: are the FAs supposed to police Airplane Mode?

I imagine seeing the entire cabin looking at their devices during taxi/takeoff/landing....how will the FAs know that Airplane Mode is properly engaged without checking each device?

(On most devices, there is no easy way to tell from afar whether the pax are reading an e-book or offline email or actually checking websites or email with a network connection.)
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Now on AA.com

Electronic Equipment / Personal Devices
Good news! You're now able to read your e-books, play games, and watch videos on your portable electronic devices from gate to gate within the U.S. There are a few things to keep in mind during taxi, takeoff and landing:

Devices will need to be in airplane mode and you'll need to secure them by either holding or placing them under your seat.
Wi-Fi access on equipped aircraft will be available shortly after takeoff
This change doesn't apply to larger items such as laptops. Those items will still need to be stowed.
This change won't be implemented on some of American's regional flights (operated as American Eagle) until later this year. Because the safety of our customers and people is always our top priority, you should still listen to all safety briefings and comply with crewmember instructions.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So are the new 737s with AVOD flying yet? This press release makes it appear so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.