Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer AA miles to BA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Transfer AA miles to BA?

Can I transfer American Airlines miles to British Airways?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not aware of any way to transfer AA miles to BA.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Question moved to AA forum because it pertains to the use of AAdvantage miles.

You can redeem AA miles, through the AAdvantage program, for travel on flights operated by BA, but you cannot transfer them in any sensible fashion.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what do you want to do?

like, i need 2 tickets xxx-yyy return, have x aa & y ba....
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Can't be done. If you have American Express Membership Rewards points, those can be converted to Avios - but not AAdvantage miles, at least not without taking a huge "foreign exchange" hit - using other accounts (Diners is your best bet) to launder the miles through for conversion. See the WebFlyer Mileeage Converter here.

Perhaps, if you share your intent, we can be of help...

Originally Posted by flyertalkrocks
Can I transfer American Airlines miles to British Airways?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

I'm just trying to consolidate my miles. I'd actually like them to end up in Iberia. I'm planning to get a BA credit card and earn miles which I'll transfer into Iberia too. I think I'll be flying Iberia and Vueling a lot over the next year or so.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I think I'll be flying Iberia and Vueling a lot over the next year or so.
my condolences.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm just trying to consolidate my miles.
There is no consolidation of miles. Airline loyalty programs are like roach motels- your miles go in, but they don't come out, you either spend them or lose them.

Is there a reason why you can't spend whatever AA miles you have on Iberia?

Also, keep in mind that the Avios mileage chart is great for short-distance coach redemptions in the US or Europe, but if you want aspirational travel (say, first class from the US to Bali, or hopping around the world in business class with lots of stopovers), it's a really, really bad place to put your miles compared to AA. Just so you know...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other threads with similar topic's started a few days ago:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...age-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...geability.html

It is not clear if flyertalkrocks know's about AA freq flyer partners. Time to read the AA web site. You can fly one airline land collect / burn miles of another airline ffp (subject to the terms & conditions)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:51 am
Original Poster

There is no consolidation of miles. Airline loyalty programs are like roach motels- your miles go in, but they don't come out, you either spend them or lose them.
Not always true. BA miles transfer to Iberia for example.

Is there a reason why you can't spend whatever AA miles you have on Iberia?
I can do that, but if they're in Iberia I can use them on Vueling also.

Also, keep in mind that the Avios mileage chart is great for short-distance coach redemptions in the US or Europe, but if you want aspirational travel (say, first class from the US to Bali, or hopping around the world in business class with lots of stopovers), it's a really, really bad place to put your miles compared to AA. Just so you know...
Hmmm, I have a United card I use for the Star Alliance and I just applied for a BA card for Iberia/Vueling flights. I figured I could also use the miles accumulated via the BA card for long-haul travel if the Star Alliance didn't happen to fit the bill, but it sounds like that's not efficient.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not always true. BA miles transfer to Iberia for example.
BA and Iberia have the same ownership (IAG). There are restrictions and conditions on transferring avios between BA Avios, avios.com & Iberia avios accounts. BA and IB have high cash surcharges on award flights in addition to the real taxes. Vueling are a low cost carrier- just pay for flights with cash

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 10, 2013 at 3:26 am
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Also, keep in mind that the Avios mileage chart is great for short-distance coach redemptions in the US or Europe, but if you want aspirational travel (say, first class from the US to Bali, or hopping around the world in business class with lots of stopovers), it's a really, really bad place to put your miles compared to AA.
I was thinking. How can this be true if I can use miles/avios in any OneWorld account on any other airline? Are there different redemption charts depending on which account the miles are in?

BA and IB have high cash surcharges on award flights in addition to the real taxes.
That's no fun. How can I find out more about that?

Does Iberia have a business class?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to look on BA forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tive-club-446/ and the BA, Iberia & avios.com web sites. A lot of posts about cash surcharges.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-flights.html

Each freq flyer programe is different and has different earn & redempition charts.
Look at the links in post 2 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
I'd like to be able transfer my BA miles to AA - the availability of redemptions across the Atlantic is abysmal on BA at present but at least AA has the AAdvantage of AAnytime awards.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Are there different redemption charts depending on which account the miles are in?"

Yes, of course.

For example, a one-way Coach redemption from LGA/JFK to YYZ would cost 12,500 AA miles as a MileSAAver redemption. The very same redemption would cost only 4,500 BAEC Avios!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.