Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Your Elite Status" email from AA: No soft landing 2014 onward (Confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
AA has confirmed that there will be no "soft landings" (whereby elite members will drop a maximum of one elite level regardless of miles flown) for 2014:
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
To clarify, the Soft Landing policy will be going away at the end of the year.

However, this does not change how an AAdvantage member can earn Elite status. If you currently hold Executive Platinum status (through February 28, 2014), but only earn enough Elite qualifying miles to qualify for Gold status by December 31, 2013, then you will receive the status that you meet the criteria for (as opposed to receiving a soft landing exception to Platinum status), which would go into effect March 1, 2014.

Status earned as a result of Double EQM promotions and Elite status challenges will, of course, be honored. Additionally, customers who have earned AAdvantage Gold or Platinum status as a result of the Million Miler program will continue to receive their benefits for the lifetime of those programs
Print Wikipost

"Your Elite Status" email from AA: No soft landing 2014 onward (Confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Exclamation "Your Elite Status" email from AA: No soft landing 2014 onward (Confirmed)

Seems they are insinuating there will be no EQM/EQP bonus offers this year. Interesting.

From the email I received today:

"Can you believe we're almost halfway through 2013? Hopefully you're on track to achieve your goal of elite status qualification for 2014. To check how many elite qualifying points, miles and segments you've earned thus far, simply log in to your account.

Previously, based on your prior year status, you benefited from an exception to receive a higher level of elite status than you actually earned. Next year, regardless of your current status, your elite status for the next membership year will be based on your elite qualifying activity in 2013.

We invite you to achieve the highest level you can to earn the greatest benefits. You can also find details about qualifying for elite status here."
Old May 21, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Did AAdvantage remove Elite Status Soft Landing

I just received an e-mail from AA titled "Your Elite Status"

With the following paragraph in it:
Previously, based on your prior year status, you benefited from an exception to receive a higher level of elite status than you actually earned. Next year, regardless of your current status, your elite status for the next membership year will be based on your elite‑qualifying activity in 2013.
Am I correct in understanding that as an EXP I will become an instant kettle if I don't get beyond 25K miles this year? I was likely going to hit Gold at least, but I was hoping to keep Platinum at a minimum...
Old May 21, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I interpret this as you, the specific person the email went to, got an exemption last year, but won't again.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:46 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I received the same e-mail. I read it as the OP did, meaning soft landing policy abolished.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wonder if US have a soft landing and, if not, this is the beginning of some harmonization.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Odd email: "Your Elite Status"

Just got a strange email from AA.

Can you believe we're almost halfway through 2013? Hopefully you're on track to achieve your goal of elite status qualification for 2014. To check how many elite‑qualifying points, miles and segments you've earned thus far, simply log in to your account.

Previously, based on your prior year status, you benefited from an exception to receive a higher level of elite status than you actually earned. Next year, regardless of your current status, your elite status for the next membership year will be based on your elite‑qualifying activity in 2013.

We invite you to achieve the highest level you can to earn the greatest benefits. You can also find details about qualifying for elite status here.
The reason it's odd is that I qualified for my ExecPlat status based on miles last year; I didn't get any exception. I do almost all my flying around the holidays (and will likely qualify for ExecPlat again this year). My annual mileage is currently 0, which is why I'm thinking I got this, but...

If I'm reading it right, it seems to imply that there will be no "soft landings" or "status buy backs".

Odd email to get, so I thought I'd stick it here so y'all could see it.

Cheers,
-SF
Old May 21, 2013, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

I got the same email, but I did not receive an exemption, soft landing, or buffer zone bump up. I earned 108,000 miles, but did so only with the end of year bonus. I took the email to mean there would be no bonuses this year.

Last edited by Psyclone*Jack; May 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm
Old May 21, 2013, 2:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
I got the same email (started another thread which can be deleted), but I did not receive an exemption, soft landing, or buffer zone bump up. I earned 108,000 miles, but did so only with the end of year bonus. I took the email to mean there would be no bonuses this year.
What is the "end of year bonus?" Do you mean DEQM promotions? If so, this has nothing to do with that. This is about soft landings based on total miles/points/segments obtained. That would include any promotions, if they have them.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Did AAdvantage remove Elite Status Soft Landing

I also got the same email. I earned PLAT last year with 60k EQM and definitely did not get an exemption to EXP!
Old May 21, 2013, 2:54 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Well, AA has been giving out status like crazy this year, so perhaps they feel they will need to think out the ranks a bit for next year.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
What is the "end of year bonus?" Do you mean DEQM promotions? If so, this has nothing to do with that. This is about soft landings based on total miles/points/segments obtained. That would include any promotions, if they have them.

Cheers.
Yes, I was referring to DEQM. Why are you certain this is referring to soft landings? I did not receive the benefit of one in 2012, so why did I get the email?
Old May 21, 2013, 2:55 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Well, AA has been giving out status like crazy this year, so perhaps they feel they will need to think out the ranks a bit for next year.
Good point. I wonder if this is really meant for the recipients of the candy giveaways so that they won't soft-land...but has to apply to all members equally.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
Yes, I was referring to DEQM. Why are you certain this is referring to soft landings? I did not receive the benefit of one in 2012, so why did I get the email?
Because that's what the email says if you read it. Even with DEQM promotions, that is the status earned. So, this is about a bump to more than earned based on prior year status.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Seems to me that the e-mail went out only to ones that actually had some kind of soft landing in previous year(s). Perhaps this will apply to everyone or they may be implementing some kind of soft landing limitations.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I wonder if it's related to those that achieved EXP via challenge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.