737 & 757 Caribbean First Class, SJU Admirals Club, and AT7

Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
737 & 757 Caribbean First Class, SJU Admirals Club, and AT7

A few ?'s about an upcoming trip to the caribbean--

The family is taking a vacation to a caribbean destination in January. We wil be flying the 737 (in first) from DFW-SJU. Any extra amenities being a Caribbean route or is it standard domestic first? It is a bit of a longer flight. On the flight back the plane is a 757. Any difference in comfort or general comments on what to expect?

Also, does anyone have any recent experiences with SJU admirals club? I heard it may have been remodeled recently but am not too sure. Decent enough for a 2 hour layover on the return leg?

Finally, on the way there, we only have a 40 min layover in SJU. Is this enough time? We are connecting to another AA flight and I assume the gates will be quite near eachother in SJU. Any ideas if we have to change terminals? Coming in on a 737 but connecting to an AT7. Also, does anybody know if the AT7 boards from the back?

I apologize for this multifaceted question...

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:43 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

The front cabin on flights to and from SJU are business class. No special amenities.

The SJU club is descent for a few hours. Definitely not remodeled.

All the AA gates are close. The longest walk for AA to Eagle would be 10 minutes. All the same terminal.

The ATR boards from the rear.

Seat comfort...there are many threads on the topic. A search will reveal the many various opinions.

Last edited by HNL; Nov 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by nw6338
A few ?'s about an upcoming trip to the caribbean--

The family is taking a vacation to a caribbean destination in January. We wil be flying the 737 (in first) from DFW-SJU. Any extra amenities being a Caribbean route or is it standard domestic first? It is a bit of a longer flight. On the flight back the plane is a 757. Any difference in comfort or general comments on what to expect?

Also, does anyone have any recent experiences with SJU admirals club? I heard it may have been remodeled recently but am not too sure. Decent enough for a 2 hour layover on the return leg?

Finally, on the way there, we only have a 40 min layover in SJU. Is this enough time? We are connecting to another AA flight and I assume the gates will be quite near eachother in SJU. Any ideas if we have to change terminals? Coming in on a 737 but connecting to an AT7. Also, does anybody know if the AT7 boards from the back?

I apologize for this multifaceted question...

Thanks
Based on recent experience, your 737 and 757 flights will most likely feature standard domestic F cabins and service which AA calls business class. In other words, nothing special.

As for the Admirals Club, we have not used this one; however, I'm sure it will be just fine. Personally, I would be glad that AA still has an AC located at SJU! We used to frequent the old CO Presidents Club at SJU but it's ancient history now....

A 40 minute connection at SJU from mainline to Eagle sounds a bit tight but should be just fine as you'll be first off the 737. I would be moving smartly, though.....

And yes, the ATR-72 turboprop boards from the back of the aircraft.

Good luck and hope you have a fine trip!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the thorough answers!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

If we are continuing on to another island that isn't american (i.e. it is an international flight), must we collect our luggage and recheck in security? or do we get off the plane from dfw directly to the flight to the other island?

Thanks again
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
SJU club is nice, I was there in October. Nothing super fancy, and somewhat small, but a very comfortable alternative to the terminal chaos. The AAngels there were superb.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we are continuing on to another island that isn't american (i.e. it is an international flight), must we collect our luggage and recheck in security? or do we get off the plane from dfw directly to the flight to the other island?
No, you'll have to go thru immigration and customs and re-clear security on your way back thru SJU on the way home, but not on your outbound. On the outbound, it's no different from connecting in ORD or MIA or JFK. Go straight to your Eagle connecting flight.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

SJU Layover Time and 757 caribbean flights

Searched the forums and didn't find anything so I apologize in advance if this has been answered before..

We have a 50 min. layover in SJU in the next month or so. We are connecting from a 757 from DFW to an AT7 to a neighboring island. Is this enough time to make the connection? Never have been to SJU before and not sure how close the AA gates are. Also, I assume 2 hrs 20 mins is plenty of time to clear customs once back in SJU and re-clear security for the flight home..? Will be using the premium line since I am flying in first class.

Finally, we are showing a new 737-800 on the outbound from DFW (4 hrs 20 mins flight time) but an OLD 757-800 (5 hrs 30mins) going back to DFW. Are aa seriously flying those old 757s on flights this long?!

Thanks again,
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Searched the forums and didn't find anything so I apologize in advance if this has been answered before..

We have a 50 min. layover in SJU in the next month or so. We are connecting from a 757 from DFW to an AT7 to a neighboring island. Is this enough time to make the connection? Never have been to SJU before and not sure how close the AA gates are. Also, I assume 2 hrs 20 mins is plenty of time to clear customs once back in SJU and re-clear security for the flight home..? Will be using the premium line since I am flying in first class.

Finally, we are showing a new 737-800 on the outbound from DFW (4 hrs 20 mins flight time) but an OLD 757-800 (5 hrs 30mins) going back to DFW. Are aa seriously flying those old 757s on flights this long?!

Thanks again,
Yes on the connections. Considering AA flys 757s on Transatlantic and routes like DFW/ANC, LAX/SJU, LAX/OGG why would SJU/DFW surprise you?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:41 am
Suspended

The incoming connection from SJU to the island should be fine of course as long as your incoming flight arrives on time. My last flight to SJU arrived a few hours late. With fewer flights out of SJU, you might want to check to see when the next connection is just in case. On the way back, the 2:20 layover should be enough time. Baggage claim in SJU is slow at times. Also, you will need to send your bags (including carry on bags) through agricultural inspection before checking them. I'm only mentioning that because I've seen people get in line to check in only to be told they missed that step.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
On a recent flight to SJU from JFK, several people in first missed their connection to a neighboring island - even though we were on a 6 am flight the missed connection was the only flight of the day. They were given a hotel for the night - delay was a crew issue. Good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA has 26 757s that are newer than its oldest 737, with the youngest 757 delivered in 2002. By that time, AA already had 74 737s that are older than that youngest 757. It's possible that the 737 on your outbound flight was delivered to AA prior to the 757 for your inbound flight.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Thankfully, there is one other flight after ours to the island. Worst case is we miss the flight and have to charter a plane for that evening or the next morning. The flight from DFW-SJU has pretty poor on time ratings too..

I was just baffled by the use of the OLD 757- I have flown AA 757s from DFW-OGG before but this was basically international business class minus PTV's. I believe "old" first class on these flights will be exactly the same as old domestic first class... isn't this correct?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just baffled by the use of the OLD 757- I have flown AA 757s from DFW-OGG before but this was basically international business class minus PTV's. I believe "old" first class on these flights will be exactly the same as old domestic first class... isn't this correct?
Sorry to go all airplane nerd on you, but no, you did not fly a 757 from DFW to OGG (at least not nonstop). Perhaps you changed planes at LAX to a 757. If nonstop DFW-OGG, you were on a 767-300 with international biz class seats. Widebody with two aisles . . .

Yes, on a 757 between SJU and DFW, you're very likely to get just plane old domestic first.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:47 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A search or "SJU" revealed this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-club-at7.html which you started on November 20.

Why start a new thread to cover essentially the same topic?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.