Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

"Grace" for elite status if EQM, EQP or EQS short in 2012? (Status exception)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

Exception Policy See Wiki page

Historically, there has been an unofficial exception policy for members who come close to qualifying, but don't quite make it. Note that you cannot request an exception before the end of the qualifying year and by then it is too late to fly more if the exception is not granted. The Exception Policy can change at any time; please read posts #100 and #104 for anecdotal information historic exceptions may not be granted this year.

The automatic exceptions have been as follows in previous years:
  • 24,500 miles or points for Gold Status
  • 49,000 miles or points for Platinum Status
  • 99,000 miles or points for Executive Platinum Status
For reports in previous years, read posts AFTER Jan 1 in:

"Grace" for elite status if EQM, EQP or EQS short in 2011? (Status exception) (for the 2012-2013 membership year)

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated) (for the 2011-2012 membership year)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Gold SPG, Gold HH, Silver Marriott

Hi, I think I will be 600 miles short of reaching 100K miles to become EXP.
Do you guys know if AA is sometimes flexible?
I am a million miler and I got EXP just once (with some great bonus offers when I was heavily traveling) but I usually can never make it again and I am always stuck at PLT.
Thanks

=================MODERATOR NOTE====================

This question has been answered in the Wiki, here (which is why we recommend checking the FAQ and the Wiki).

Though AA has granted status requalification exceptions previously, this is an undocumented benefit - it is not guaranteed annually. The only way to guaranteed status requalification is to requalify.

The Wiki says (sic):

Exception Policy

There is an unofficial exception policy for members who come close to qualifying, but don't quite make it. Note that you cannot request an exception before the end of the qualifying year and by then it is too late to fly more if the exception is not granted. The automatic exceptions have been as follows in previous years:
  • 24,500 miles or points for Gold Status
  • 49,000 miles or points for Platinum Status
  • 99,000 miles or points for Executive Platinum Status
There have also been older reports of manual exceptions to get Executive Platinum if the member has flown 95,000 miles and has accrued 90,000 points. You will have to call for a manual exception. (N.B.: Reports of this exception all date back to the early days of the points system, when only paid First and Business fares earned more than 1 point/mile. Since then the point/mile ratio has been liberalized, with all fares from B (slightly discounted economy) and up earning 1.5 points/mile. Six more heavily discounted economy fares now earn 1.0 point/mile. A 90/95 ratio of points to miles no longer indicates heavy spending as it once did. As of late 2008, nobody has reported obtaining an exception on this basis for years. There is excellent reason to doubt it still exists.)

The Exception Policy can change at any time.

/AA Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 2013 at 9:45 am Reason: merge and post title restoration / add mod note
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if AA will "round up" to get you over your 600 mile shortfall, but if I were you, I'd fly somewhere in the next 90 days to ensure that you have 100k miles.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
It's not worth taking a chance on not getting it!!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Gold SPG, Gold HH, Silver Marriott
I was wondering with their bankruptcy and the recent mess with delays that they might be more flexible to their loyal customers and many may be leaving...
Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:43 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
In a year with a number of double miles promotions, I wouldn't take the chance. If you were 600 Points short, I'd say yes.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
I'm confused by this question. It's October 3 today, not Dec 31. If you're in MA, you can fly 850 miles one-way on BOS-ORD for 90 bucks. Sounds like a problem you have plenty of time to solve with very little investment.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by mwk190
I'm confused by this question. It's October 3 today, not Dec 31. If you're in MA, you can fly 850 miles one-way on BOS-ORD for 90 bucks. Sounds like a problem you have plenty of time to solve with very little investment.
- or MIA-RDU for $83 ai one-way (700 miles). You upgrade on the way back will be free (but you would have to call EXP desk to get your deducted stickers back). Finally, what is the point of being EXP and not enjoying it!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by davidmiami
Do you guys know if AA is sometimes flexible?
AA has been flexible in the past to some people in some situations. But that's not relevant to you. You need to know if they'll give you EXP without actually earning it. It would be foolish to rely on their possible generosity, when you could easy earn it yourself in the next few months.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
Not sure why you would ask this question with 3 months to go. You don't plan to fly anywhere in the next 3 months, after flying 99,400 already? My answer to your question (and if i were in your shoes) would be no.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
You can fly BOS-JFK-BOS in less than 4 hours from departure from BOS to arrival back at BOS for $120 ai. It gets you 1,000 EQM (since you are PLT and get the 500-mile minimum).
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by wandertheglobe
Not sure why you would ask this question with 3 months to go. You don't plan to fly anywhere in the next 3 months, after flying 99,400 already? My answer to your question (and if i were in your shoes) would be no.
That's not what the OP said:

Originally Posted by davidmiami
Hi, I think I will be 600 miles short of reaching 100K miles to become EXP.
[emphasis mine]
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
AA has been flexible in the past to some people in some situations. But that's not relevant to you. You need to know if they'll give you EXP without actually earning it. It would be foolish to rely on their possible generosity, when you could easy earn it yourself in the next few months.
No quite accurate because AA has consistently applied an unpublished policy in the past. The problem is that just because they did it in the past, doesn't mean they will do it this year -- even though the chances of them abandoning the policy are slim.

For GLDs, you need to be over 24,500 EQM/EQP to be granted status.
For PLTs, you need to be over 49,000 EQM/EQP to be granted status.
Foe EXPs, you need to be over 99,000 EQM/EQP to be granted status.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Why leave it to chance? Find the cheapest ticket where you can get the miles and then enjoy your EXP status.

This is the one situation where I think a mileage run is appropriate.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by sukn
No quite accurate because AA has consistently applied an unpublished policy in the past. The problem is that just because they did it in the past, doesn't mean they will do it this year -- even though the chances of them abandoning the policy are slim.

For GLDs, you need to be over 24,500 EQM/EQP to be granted status.
For PLTs, you need to be over 49,000 EQM/EQP to be granted status.
Foe EXPs, you need to be over 99,000 EQM/EQP to be granted status.
expecting AA to honor some unpublished benefit, just because they've done it in the past is full of unnecessary risk. An unpublished policy is not a policy at all.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
expecting AA to honor some unpublished benefit, just because they've done it in the past is full of unnecessary risk. An unpublished policy is not a policy at all.
As an EXP, you've benefited from plenty of unpublished policies so it is just really silly for you to make that statement.

You made a statement that was not fully accurate. I simply clarified. Move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.