Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 777-300ER / 77W Best Main Cabin Extra / MCE, Economy / Main Cabin seat

Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
See New 777-300 / 77W Config with Premium Economy as of Dec 2017 for discussion of Premium Economy seats on the 77W.

Link to thread discussing First and Business Class seating.

All Economy Zodiac 5751 slimline economy class seats offer seatback flat 15.4" touch screen screen AVOD (can be tilted up or down slightly, corded hand controller as well ) with 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games; 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. These are all located in the seatback. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi (not GoGo) is offered for sale.

All Boeing 77W / 777-323ER aircraft are configured as follows:

Main Cabin Extra
28 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 35"
  • Row 20, seats 31ACJL, 32ACJL, 34DEGH, 35DEGH, and 36DEGH
  • The bulkhead partition in front of 20AC and JL is mounted on pedetals allowing extra foot space

Main Cabin / Economy
188 seats configured 3-4-3 with a typical row pitch of 31". Exceptions noted below
  • Seats 21AC and 21JL are twin seats
  • Seats 22C and 22J offer unlimited legroom. Tray table is stowed in the armrest
  • Seats 30AC and 30JL are twin seats
  • Seats 33-34 ABCJKL have a 32" pitch
  • Seats 36-38 DEGH have a 32" pitch
  • Rows 41-43 (aircraft narrows toward tail) have two seats AC & JL
  • Row 44 has DEGH middle seats flanked by lavs. Note the lav doors face the rear of the aircraft

Link to general thread discussing MCE eligibility

Originally Posted by timfucius
Here are some photos of MCE's Row 31.

31 J/L

31 A/B

Galley view

Exit door protrusion. Played footsie with my seatmate the whole trip...

Revised
01 Oct by serfty
24 Oct 2022 by Prospero
Print Wikipost

Old May 30, 2012, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

Looking at a LHR-DFW flight in March noted as a 77W flight. Seat assignment shows the Main Cabin Extra seats available. Are those going to be better than 31A/31L?

Hoping my SWU will clear on the flight booked this far in advance, but just curious on Y seats just in case. (EF shows C0 right now on the flight)

=============MODERATOR NOTE=============

See the Wikipost at the top of the page for seat locations and information in Main Cabin Extra /MCE and Economy / Coach.

boardingarea.com seat chart MCE and Coach

Note couples have few seat pairs (other than the two seat pairs in the center rows).

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 9, 2013 at 11:09 am
Old May 31, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
With the number of J seats on the 77W I'd be very surprised if you didn't clear, but equally I'm not sure quite how the 31 part of the plane is going to look in future.

With the toilets moved to where the old crew rest area was that leaves a clear run for seats straight through the old toilet space.

You'd have to guess that 31 is still the best row to have as there will still need to be a space by the emergency exit there, but I'd love to see a photo of the layout in that zone.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Obvious a seat map isn't as good as pictures or experience, but there's a seat map posted over at BoardingArea.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:05 am

That is certainly more helpful than the ones on EF right now.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You may wish to look at the seat charts provided in the first post of the Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo thread for further reference.

Last edited by JDiver; May 31, 2012 at 10:36 am Reason: fix URL; thanks to imagineertobe
Old May 31, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a lot of unknowns here. Without the lavs ahead of the 4L door, it's possible that row 30 impedes on the space of row 31. Think of row 9 on the 757 and how those seats practically block the 2L and 2R doors.

The 77Ws have two more doors than the 77Es and AA's configuration is nowhere near the maximum certified by the FAA, so I would not be surprised to see row 30 not very far ahead of row 31. Such a boneheaded move would be consistent with the ridiculous change to 3-4-3 in economy to squeeze in a few extra seats.

From the seatmaps, rows 30 and 31 appear to be just two across. Unknown at this point if the two-across rows 30 and 31 are the current AA 777 economy exit seats (that are 18 inches across) or will be the Economy Minus seats (just 17.2 inches across). If they're the narrow E- seats, and the tray is in the armrest, they'll be as narrow as a 738 exit seat. That would be punishing on a long-haul flight, especially if they don't feature the unlimited legroom they do today.

Unfortunately, seatmaps don't answer these questions. Someone will have to board one of these planes and post the info.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
On the 777, the emergency exit door has the built-in raft, so that the door protrudes into the cabin. I can't see any way the exit row can be three seats wide on the window side of the aisle. True, they may decrease pitch (put Row 30 much closer to Row 31), but they can't make it three across.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by canyonleo
On the 777, the emergency exit door has the built-in raft, so that the door protrudes into the cabin. I can't see any way the exit row can be three seats wide on the window side of the aisle. True, they may decrease pitch (put Row 30 much closer to Row 31), but they can't make it three across.
It's visible from the seat map that they are NOT 3-across. The question is whether it's two of the new normally-10-across seats or whether it's two of the old 9-across seats. My bet is on the former, but until they actually start flying it or someone gets a tour, that and the actual exit row pitch at 30 and 31 is unknown.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
41-43

In fact, the back rear seats 41, 42 and 43 AC and JL become the most desirable seats to me !
They are the last ones to be in a 2-seats configuration with normal windows.
This is quite curious they are not elite prefered seat. I'll prefer them to the extra cabin and being 2 seats away. If I had to, but of course i'll choose other flights.

Here are screen shots taken on AA as an aadvantage gold :

77W

Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Really looking forward to the first people to fly in Y on one of these and post their photos and assessments ^
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FabrizioB
In fact, the back rear seats 41, 42 and 43 AC and JL become the most desirable seats to me !
They are the last ones to be in a 2-seats configuration with normal windows.
This is quite curious they are not elite prefered seat. I'll prefer them to the extra cabin and being 2 seats away. If I had to, but of course i'll choose other flights.
Why are 41/42/43 A/C/J/L on the 77W more desirable than 38/39/40/41/42/43 A/B/H/J on the regular 777? Aren't they about the same?

You do realize, don't you, that there's not actually a wide gap in space between A and C and between J and L in that row? They only show that way on the seating diagram because they wanted to line them up in the A and C and J and L columns, because they're "numbered" A/C/J/L (to keep aisle and window letters consistent from row to row).

I presume also that what happens in the row 30/31/32 area is that either the restroom/galley section sticks out more (and thus the aisle scoots over on the real plane), and/or the aisle widens there, but again that 30/31/32 are normally spaced side-to-side, just having no middle seat.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:51 pm

I suspect 33C/J may be the new winners as it looks like there will be no seat directly in front of them, but I'll be the trolleys become a bit of a risk there.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The 77Ws have two more doors than the 77Es and AA's configuration is nowhere near the maximum certified by the FAA, so I would not be surprised to see row 30 not very far ahead of row 31.
Well there has to be room for a full-sized exit door. So while you probably wouldn't get the "unlimited" legroom of row 31 on the 772, I'd be willing to bet there will be meaningful extra leg room. Enough to put a roll-a-board on the floor as a footrest? Perhaps not.

But it also looks like you'd be right next the galley and/or lavatories, which could be a drawback.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I suspect 33C/J may be the new winners as it looks like there will be no seat directly in front of them, but I'll be the trolleys become a bit of a risk there.
I wouldn't bet on 31/32 being pushed all the way out to the sides.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
Originally Posted by nkedel
I wouldn't bet on 31/32 being pushed all the way out to the sides.
On rows 30-32, I'm prety sure seats A are aligned with regular Bs as well as L with regular K. Those doors take a lot of room inside the plane.
Most companies dont put seats there :
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air..._777-300_C.php

I don't think there are real windows there. And it'll be really cold.

So for those like me, that like being on a window seat without to have to disturb 2 to move out, 41-43 are the only option. Reminds me of the old good time on the 747s.

Still I'll avoid any flight with this configuration as long as I'll have the choice, being on the rear is so noisy. Long life to the 767 !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.