What would you do with 150,000 AA miles?

Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, and Mileage Plus
What would you do with 150,000 AA miles?

If you had 150,000 AA miles how would you use them? Would it be better to use them for several domestic flights, one or two international flights, or a distance based oneworld award travel trip?

Also, is there any good links for tutorials on booking oneworld distance based award flights because there seems to be limited documentation on this option. I'd greatly appreciate any and all feedback as I'd like to use these miles wisely, thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
get 10,000 more either by mileage run or buying them (current 30% bonus), then a 160k round the world ticket!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by ssoonngg123
get 10,000 more either by mileage run or buying them (current 30% bonus), then a 160k round the world ticket!

^
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Is 160,000 for around the world in coach? How much is business and first?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:06 pm

How many stops do you get with that?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:07 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Business class, OW150C.

YMMV.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Is 160,000 for around the world in coach?
You actually think anyone on FT would have the gall to suggest a RTW coach trip? Come on!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Fully2k
If you had 150,000 AA miles how would you use them? Would it be better to use them for several domestic flights, one or two international flights, or a distance based oneworld award travel trip?

Also, is there any good links for tutorials on booking oneworld distance based award flights because there seems to be limited documentation on this option. I'd greatly appreciate any and all feedback as I'd like to use these miles wisely, thanks.
Welcome to FT!

Depending on where you are based, and how willing you are to travel to/from other AA cities near you, you might be able to get three separate vacations out of a 150,000-mile Business Class Explorer award. I was able to combine a trip to Hawaii (with stops in Texas and California), a trip to and around Europe, and a trip to the Caribbean on one such award.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Is 160,000 for around the world in coach? How much is business and first?
rtw in coach is one of the seven levels of Dante's hell.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jakesideas
How many stops do you get with that?

Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by envgeo
Actually by careful arrangements, not necessarily.

Take use of the 6 stops & try to make each segment as short as possible. For example, between europe and us, fly from london to New york instead
of madrid to miami or so.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:32 pm

I would give the miles to me. You can do the same too
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by envgeo
Actually by careful arrangements, not necessarily.

Take use of the 6 stops & try to make each segment as short as possible. For example, between europe and us, fly from london to New york instead
of madrid to miami or so.
I can confirm by multiple RTW experiences that Dante's hell can be reached in 3 stops in coach.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Fully2k

Welcome to FT!

Give the points to whoever has the lucky number 14 post in this thread. That way there would be an element of arbitrary fairness to it, with the recipient no doubt deserving it due to FT karma.

Or...

Can't comment on the merits of one versus multiple trips, except that absent very specific circumstances (such as you're wanting to pay repeated visits to a friend, relative or significant other) I wouldn't blow them on multiple coach trips.

If you do use them to take just one trip, and if Asia is at all of interest to you, I'd strongly suggest that it be on AA partner airline Cathay Pacific in First Class. Really a unique, wonderful experience. A great destination would be Thailand, where dollar for dollar the value of hotels, food, beaches, etc. there is among the best in the world. Or if you want more of an interesting urban experience where English is widely spoken, check out Hong Kong, one of the great cities in the world. I believe to Thailand the round-trip would be 135K miles and to Hong Kong 125K. The best time to go to both places is roughly December through February, except try to avoid the Xmas and New Year's rush.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:03 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
I would take an F award to Asia (BKK or SIN) on CX....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.