Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW Terminal D international arrivals: Q&A (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, OnePass
DFW Terminal D international arrivals: Q&A (merged)

Last week I came home from LHR via DFW. This was my first experience with international arrivals at DFW since Terminal D was opened.

Prior to the construction of Terminal D, I had transited a few times through the old arrivals area (Terminal A?) which was overcrowded. I specifically remember there were only six lanes for US citizens, and six for non-citizens, which seemed rather small vs. Chicago with 50+ lanes, and Newark Terminal C with 30+ lanes (not all staffed, but physically present). I had never waited more than 15 minutes at either ORD or EWR, and often the wait was <5 minutes. The wait at the old DFW arrivals area close to 45 minutes, and a two hour connection time was barely sufficient---remember the old miniature connection train between the terminals? I wrote it off to an outmoded facility---built before AA added so many international flights in/out of DFW-- and assumed things would improve once the new Terminal D opened. Surely it would be built large enough to accommodate present-day international traffic arriving at DFW.

Not so. Upon arrival at D, I did note an increased number of agent booths (lanes), but on the US citizen side there were >600 people in line (roped off switchback waiting lines, ten lines deep, with over 50 per line segment) for eight agents. Half of the booths were empty/not staffed. The non-US line was shorter, but there were only six agents and most likely the agents spent a bit more time on each passenger.

My line moved very slowly, and with only 90 minutes connection time, I sensed I would miss my connecting flight to SNA. I phoned AA while in line, explained the situation, and they offered to rebook me on the next flight, about 75 minutes later. She couldn't keep me out of a middle seat (there were only three seats left) but she was able to preserve my priority boarding status, which I had purchased for $12 on check in at Paddington Station, which now has AA check in kiosks.

I did not clear immigration until 65 minutes after arriving in the hall. The bags were on the belt all right (duh---AA had sixty minutes to do this!). Customs again was a wait, about 15-20 minutes in line. At EWR and ORD, you simply hand your customs card to an inspector and he/she spends about 10 seconds with you. At DFW, each agent had a desk, you had to wait until you were called, like the old days. When I cleared customs, I noted that my original connecting flight was in final boarding (five minutes until departure) from Terminal C, so I never would have made the flight. The AA service desk at baggage recheck got me a new boarding pass and bag tag, I dropped it at recheck, went through security again, and as it turned out my new connecting flight left from D, so no train.

For those of you who transit DFW frequently---is this typical, or did I just arrive on a bad day? It was a Sunday btw. AA's service in finding me alternate arrangements was excellent, and I realize that AA does not operate immigration/customs, but the arrivals experience at DFW--if representative--would be an inducement to fly via ORD or EWR or JFK in the future. The only other time I had to wait that long in immigration was at the old International Arrivals Building at JFK in 1975---but I wasn't catching a connecting flight on that journey.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Than again you might have done what others have.
Tightest I-D aa connection DFW ever - 20 Minutes!
Old May 31, 2011, 10:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by PassatDoc
is this typical, or did I just arrive on a bad day? It was a Sunday btw.
I've come into Terminal D many times, including on Sunday, and never seen it as slammed as you suggest--in fact, frequently it's just our plane, or maybe that and one other. When I arrive, usually from BZE or LHR, it's typically around 7:30 or 8 PM local time, so that may play a part.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
You probably had a bad day. I just flew in to ORD from AUH on AA 6008 (EY 151) and immigration there was much worse than my usual AA 51 arrival from LHR. I also havent noticed customs to be any different at DFW versus other stations. On the whole, my international arrivals experiences tend to be best at DFW (I usually fly in to DFW, ORD, IAH or BOS). On an unrelated note, IAH does have one benefit: a separate lane for pax with no checked bags. Other airports should probably implement this.

PS. You are correct that US citizens and residents are processed much quicker than visitors. Back when I needed to use the visitor lines (not all that long ago), I frequently remember that when the US citizen line was over 5-6 times as long as the visitor line, it would still clear in half the time, even with an equal number of agents.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: American Plat, Starwood Plat
I flew in to DFW from LHR in early April, arriving early evening on a Sunday I believe. The line was huge and it took ~30+ min to get through to the agent, if memory serves. I was disappointed at how long it took, fwiw.

I'll be coming back through customs at DFW in 2 weeks (Thursday, dinnertime) and will try to time it more formally.

Conroy
Old May 31, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Global Entry is worth it.

Last time I was through Terminal D customs/immigration with GE, it took longer to get through TSA security than it did to get off the plane, clear customs/immigration & make my way to Terminal C.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
You were probably very unlucky. DFW is my favorite AA airport.

Out of JFK, MIA, ORD and DFW, my favorite airport to arrive at (internationally) is DFW, hands down.
I arrived at DFW from LHR last night and made it in less than 30 minutes to D-29 (no checked bags).

The one I try to avoid is ORD. Yuck!!

Interestingly, fares to Europe from SAN are usually cheaper for flights connecting in ORD and more expensive for flights connecting in DFW.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
I come through DFW from international flights several times a year and have only seen it really bad one time (Good Friday 2008). Most times it is one or two aircraft arriving at the same time. Global Entry has been great for those times it is more than that.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Global Entry is worth it.

Last time I was through Terminal D customs/immigration with GE, it took longer to get through TSA security than it did to get off the plane, clear customs/immigration & make my way to Terminal C.
Ditto. Last time I flew back into DFW it only took me 5 minutes to clear passport control and customs (no line at either station). ^
Old May 31, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LMB01
I come through DFW from international flights several times a year and have only seen it really bad one time (Good Friday 2008). Most times it is one or two aircraft arriving at the same time. Global Entry has been great for those times it is more than that.
I have to agree with the above (except I don't have Global Entry), but I can only recall one time in the past four years that DFW was slammed. There are a number of factors - planes can be early or late, which can cause staffing issues. I have never missed a flight because of immigration wait. As with all things, YMMV. I definitely prefer DFW to ORD.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I echo those who recommend Global Entry - a well spent $100!!
Old May 31, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
You were probably very unlucky.
Unfortunately this isn't the case, the sort of lines the OP describes are becoming very frequent.

It all depends on just when you arrive, but I travel through DFW D at least once a month and I'm seeing what the OP describes (or worse) very often now.

The line to exit through customs is just adding salt to the wound just when you thought the worst was over.

The fact that they have the barriers in place to snake the queue around the hall bears witness to the fact that the queue is getting to be the normal state of affairs, not the exception.

What I am seeing though is staff working the lines asking for those on tight connections so they can move them up the queue so if you do get stuck watch for the staff, they can help you.
Old May 31, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
I agree with the long line at DFW Terminal D immigration. There was quite abit of unmanned booths. It took me 1 hour to clear yesterday afternoon, arriving from Paris. To AA's credit, they have staff moving within the line asking for people with specific connection within the next 75 min and handed out a yellow card that would allow these folks to go to a special line for faster processing.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, OnePass
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Unfortunately this isn't the case, the sort of lines the OP describes are becoming very frequent.

It all depends on just when you arrive, but I travel through DFW D at least once a month and I'm seeing what the OP describes (or worse) very often now.
Scary. I was taken aback because I expected that the long lines were a thing of the past, now that Terminal D had been opened. In the old terminal (A?), it was understandable that they were overwhelmed. That said, minus my 1975 JFK IAB arrival, the two longest times I've ever spent waiting to pass through customs were both at DFW: 45 minutes (2005) and 65-70 minutes (this month).

The line to exit through customs is just adding salt to the wound just when you thought the worst was over.
Agree. At EWR and ORD, you simply hand your card to an officer standing in the doorway. At DFW, each officer has a desk and you wait in line, like a bank or airline check in, until an officer is free. Burned another 15-20 mins waiting for this.

The fact that they have the barriers in place to snake the queue around the hall bears witness to the fact that the queue is getting to be the normal state of affairs, not the exception.

What I am seeing though is staff working the lines asking for those on tight connections so they can move them up the queue so if you do get stuck watch for the staff, they can help you.
I saw an immigration person at the foot of the line, but she just stood there making sure you entered the proper line (US vs non-US). No one asked about tight connections. That's why I decided to call AA and rebook. What amazed me was that there appeared to be about 20 or more booths on the US side alone, but staffed with just eight inspectors. This was at about 4 pm, I was on AA 81. This was the first time I've ever missed a connecting flight (from international long haul) when arriving back in the US.

In contrast, I've never had problems at ORD, even with 90 minute connections. ORD has a ton of inspectors, baggage is quick, and customs takes about 30 seconds. I agree that ORD's runway situation (in process of remediation) means there are traffic delays, but the infrastructure at T5 works very well, as does the ATS (airport train) and security. If your flights are on time, you will make your connection at ORD. I'm not so sure about DFW any more.

One other thing I noted as I left the immigration hall: the line was still nearly as long as when I entered it: at least eight of the ten lanes were full (when I entered it, the line extended beyond the end of the rope-off lanes, into the open section of the hall).

Global Entry was closed that day, so everyone was stuck waiting an hour. Below is a photo I took with my phone to document the chaos. The woman in the red cardigan does appear to be an AA employee, but she wasn't asking folks if they had a tight connection. There was an older INS female employee who directed people to the appropriate line. The switchback was ten rows deep, with 50-70 persons in each row.

Old May 31, 2011, 5:54 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PassatDoc
Scary. I was taken aback because I expected that the long lines were a thing of the past, now that Terminal D had been opened. In the old terminal (A?), it was understandable that they were overwhelmed. That said, minus my 1975 JFK IAB arrival, the two longest times I've ever spent waiting to pass through customs were both at DFW: 45 minutes (2005) and 65-70 minutes (this month).

Agree. At EWR and ORD, you simply hand your card to an officer standing in the doorway. At DFW, each officer has a desk and you wait in line, like a bank or airline check in, until an officer is free. Burned another 15-20 mins waiting for this.

I saw an immigration person at the foot of the line, but she just stood there making sure you entered the proper line (US vs non-US). No one asked about tight connections. That's why I decided to call AA and rebook. What amazed me was that there appeared to be about 20 or more booths on the US side alone, but staffed with just eight inspectors. This was at about 4 pm, I was on AA 81. This was the first time I've ever missed a connecting flight (from international long haul) when arriving back in the US.

In contrast, I've never had problems at ORD, even with 90 minute connections. ORD has a ton of inspectors, baggage is quick, and customs takes about 30 seconds. I agree that ORD's runway situation (in process of remediation) means there are traffic delays, but the infrastructure at T5 works very well, as does the ATS (airport train) and security. If your flights are on time, you will make your connection at ORD. I'm not so sure about DFW any more.

One other thing I noted as I left the immigration hall: the line was still nearly as long as when I entered it: at least eight of the ten lanes were full (when I entered it, the line extended beyond the end of the rope-off lanes, into the open section of the hall).

Global Entry was closed that day, so everyone was stuck waiting an hour. Below is a photo I took with my phone to document the chaos. The woman in the red cardigan does appear to be an AA employee, but she wasn't asking folks if they had a tight connection. There was an older INS female employee who directed people to the appropriate line. The switchback was ten rows deep, with 50-70 persons in each row.
(1) At JFK there are large signs stating NO cell phone use in the immigration area (and the agents who direct the queue admonish pax when they attempt to use a cell phone)--you lucked out with making a call and taking the photo.
(2) With GE you are supposed to be allowed to jump the queue and go to the first available agent--that is what I paid $100 for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.