Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA flights not bookable on Orbitz - Courts order reinstatement (2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

Looks like the two sides could not reach an agreement. Stay classy!

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/orbitz.j...ryId=undefined

Effective December 21, 2010, schedules and fares for flights on American Airlines and American Eagle are no longer available on Orbitz.com or websites powered by Orbitz.com.

Tickets for travel already purchased through Orbitz remain valid but changes must be made through American Airlines Reservations by calling 1-800-433-7300.

Customers can choose from a wide range of online and traditional travel agencies to search for and purchase tickets including AA.com, which features our Lowest Fare Guarantee and No Online Booking Fees.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For related threads, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-1-2011-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ug-2011-a.html

Update regarding AA Flight Availability listings on ExpertFlyer

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...18-2011-a.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:14 am
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by demkr
Looks like the two sides could not reach an agreement. Stay classy!
Wow: this seems like quite an aggressive move on AA's part. What kind of reduction in commission did they demand from Orbitz, that Orbitz wouldn't agree to?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Wow: this seems like quite an aggressive move on AA's part. What kind of reduction in commission did they demand from Orbitz, that Orbitz wouldn't agree to?
It is not a dispute about commissions. It has to do with AA trying to connect Orbitz directly to its reservation system instead of using a GDS to book AA flights.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:32 pm

What's the benefit to AA in having Orbitz connect directly?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k *G, AA Plat, Marriott Silver
Anyone think this may have anything to do with new AA-BA-IB and or Oneworld reservation systems costing the 3 less than Orbitz fees?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by rearview
What's the benefit to AA in having Orbitz connect directly?
It is suppose to be lower cost
AA pays for the GDS access

What is the down side of NOT being able to book AA on Orbitz?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: MileagePlus (Gold)
Originally Posted by zman

What is the down side of NOT being able to book AA on Orbitz?
It's easier to book through Orbitz if your home or destination is serviced by a smaller airport and need to take another carrier to get to an airport serviced by AA. Also, it's just nice if you do all your other bookings through Orbitz to keep it consistent, especially if you are booking hotel or car for the same trip.

Also, through eBates you can get 1-3% cash back on Orbitz purchases. That can add up quick if you do a lot of traveling!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by RunningMan77
Also, through eBates you can get 1-3% cash back on Orbitz purchases. That can add up quick if you do a lot of traveling!
Well, it was nice while it lasted wasn't it!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:38 pm

You can book itineraries through Orbitz that AA won't allow you to book. For instance, I wanted to book a RT from SBA to BOS, and I deliberately picked the longest route AA.com offered me: SBA-LAX-MIA-BOS. But AA.com wouldn't actually let me buy the fare it quoted me--instead, it repriced the ticket $150 higher when I tried to enter my credit card data.

I went to Orbitz and booked it there at the originally quoted price.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Guess I'm going elsewhere

My company requires all of our bookings to be done through OrbitzForBusiness. So, guess until the two parties kiss and make-up, I have to go to an alternate carrier. Who has the best status match program?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just received an email from AA with details about this, including a 20% off certificate for AA.com.

If I have booked an AA flight via Orbitz it was >> 12 months ago, so I'm not sure exactly who it's going out to.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mdsimants
Who has the best status match program?
United will bring you in at midtier providing you fly a set amount of miles in a fixed period (mine was 15,000 miles or 20 segments in 90 days). No fees involved. There's a lot of unhappy FTers with the change in some benefits there, though, so make sure you know what you're getting into.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is part of a bigger spat with Travelport, a GDS holding company, who owns 48% of Orbitz. AA wants agencies to direct connect to it (under a model where each agency would have to maintain direct connections to each single airline, and each availability query would have to go to all of them), which Travelport and the other GDS, who charge AA quite a lot of money per segment booked, are fighting. AA has already launched booking fees for Travelport-powered travel agencies (see here), sparing the US and Caribbean where their corporate contracts and too much would be jeopardized, and now is progressing with hurting Orbitz.

This will be an interesting battle, and customers seem already to be the early losers.

It's also interesting that while more airlines (including B6 and VX) added GDS connectivity to their standalone reservation model, AA is going exactly the opposite way.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
So much for using Orbitz coupons or discounts for air and hotel bookings with AA in the mix.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demkr
Tickets for travel already purchased through Orbitz remain valid but changes must be made through American Airlines Reservations by calling 1-800-433-7300.
I don't see any mention of AA waiving its $15 External Reservation Handling fee for something that it is their making (Orbitz can't change the tickets because AA no longer gives it the ability to do so).

Stay classy, indeed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.