Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't check in online (OLCI) for int'l., mixed carrier etc. itinerary (merged)

Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Check in online (OLCI) for an international and/or a mixed carrier itinerary

OLCI may be inhibited for flights over 24 hours out.

OLCI may be inhibited for final destinations you must have a visa for.

OLCI may be inhibited by some other destinations, even when a visa is not necessary, e.g. Hong Kong.

OLCI may be inhibited when you have a mixed carrier itinerary or codeshare.

OLCI is not available at all airports.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle

Got the usual email about check-in online, but when I access the itinerary there is no button to check-in online. Flight is domestic connecting into international with an evip applied to the international leg. I was trying to check-in at t-24 from the domestic to get some chance of the evip clearing but it seems like I am stuck. The reservation does say "ready for check" with all the security data ticket, but apparently I can't!

I did a search and found threads back from 2007 but nothing more recent. Any advice?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wait until T-24 from the international leg then it should work just fine.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
You may have to check in in person on dom leg - I recently did LGA-ORD-PVG with waitlisted evip and could not check in online. They checked all my travel docs and visa on check in at LGA and issued int'l BP as well. Needless to say, did not get the evip upgrade.

Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
My int is also on ORD-PVG.
Do those originating in ORD get ahead of everyone else? Would they let me check in at my originating airport?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
My int is also on ORD-PVG.
Do those originating in ORD get ahead of everyone else? Would they let me check in at my originating airport?
You should be able to check-in for the international leg at your originating airport, but if you fly anywhere with specific visa requirements then you won't be able to use the online check-in unfortuantely.

Often connecting passengers have a higher priority on wait lists so it could work in your favor, especially as you are likely to be checking in earlier than those originating in ORD.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:30 am
Original Poster

I'll try checking in at t-24 of int leg first, else I'll go to origin airport tonight. Will report back for future reference. Thanks for all the advice!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
There is also a check in bug related to Secure Flight and reservations from Galileo. If your upgrade clears before before you check in, your Secure Flight data gets corrupted and you must check in with an agent at the airport; OLCI and the airport kiosk do not work.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:37 am
Original Poster

T-24 now and no checkin online.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
There is also a check in bug related to Secure Flight and reservations from Galileo. If your upgrade clears before before you check in, your Secure Flight data gets corrupted and you must check in with an agent at the airport; OLCI and the airport kiosk do not work.
I think the issue is just related to Secure Flight. Shouldn't there be a button for OLCI even before 24 hours. None of my reservations have one, included one (ticketed) for February 1. (no upgrades).

I'm boned because Sunday I need to go on the airport list for my SWU and checkin time counts for SWUs.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:13 am

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
I flew a bunch last week and could not check in on-line or with my iPhone. All of which worked fine before the recent secure flight upgrade. The gate agent had to fix it for me but I'm still not sure it is fixed in the system such that it will work next week. They said that the names had to match perfectly and in my AA account it had my first and middle name under the first name and no middle name listed. I'd check on this if you still have trouble. Also, there is some info in AA.com that explains how to edit your info here...
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/secureFlight.jsp
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood
Problems Checking In Online

This is a first for me: Unable to check in online now 22 hours prior to flight tomorrow ZRH-JFK. Any ideas? Should I pop over to the airport and try there? I'm on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by neptuno3
This is a first for me: Unable to check in online now 22 hours prior to flight tomorrow ZRH-JFK. Any ideas? Should I pop over to the airport and try there? I'm on the upgrade list.

Probably a SecureFlight issue. Did you check your PNR on AA.com to make sure all your passport data are entered correctly? Does your country of citizenship require any sort of special documentation for travel to the United States? If so, OLCI might be blocked so that the agents can examine your documents at the airport.

Yes, pop over to the airport and ask them to check you in. You might get some resistance from TAs who think that they cannot check you in until the day of departure, but if you ask very politely that they "please try," you might get lucky.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by neptuno3
This is a first for me: Unable to check in online now 22 hours prior to flight tomorrow ZRH-JFK. Any ideas?
check out this thread from yesterday. You are not alone
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My secure flight info is correct, but still no checkin button
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA EXP, et. al.
I started experiencing INT'L OLCI problems right after the Secure Flight Data changes took place in AA.com. Currently, I am able to do domestic OLCI, but not INTL; the check-in button is displayed, but once I select it, it states that my name does not match with Secure Flight data.

This may be due to recent Nov 1st Secure Flight requirements which do not require a suffix for Domestic flights, but do require them for INTL. I hope AA.com fixes this soon, or I may just go back to British Airways for INTL travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.