AA, BA and IB Announce Better Deal for Trans-Atlantic Flyers

Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:14 am
Company Representative - American Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
AA, BA and IB Announce Better Deal for Trans-Atlantic Flyers

http://bit.ly/AA-JBA

American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia are cooperating together to make oneworld even better. Think seamless international travel with greater access to lower fares:

AAdvantage members can now earn AAdvantage miles on all American Airlines, BA and Iberia flights. Miles earned for flights on all three airlines count toward elite status qualification.

Combine flights/fares of the 3 airlines with flexibility. For example, book British Airways from LHR to CHI & return on AA codeshare to save time.

First and longhaul first class can now check three bags, and like British Airways, have heavy bag charges waived on AA and Iberia.

Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for sharing. LHR-SAN should do well, I seem to remember BA operated the route in the past. LAX-MAD is long overdue but good nonetheless.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
::Sigh:: I guess I'll be the first one to ask what some of your bullets really mean.

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Combine flights/fares of the 3 airlines with flexibility. For example, book British Airways from LHR to CHI & return on AA codeshare to save time.
Why the word codeshare? If I fly a BA plane operated as BA over, will I then have to book a BA flight number returning?

First and longhaul first class can now check three bags, and like British Airways, have heavy bag charges waived on AA and Iberia.
-Does this mean I get three bags flying F from TPA-ORD?
-What if I am upgraded?
-What if I am on the waitlist and get upgraded at the gate? Do I get a refund?
-What about elite baggage allowances? Does this change?
-And to make sure, you're saying that a passenger in F (even if domestic) is allowed to send up to 70 lbs for free?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Interesting, although all of these revelations have been under discussion here for almost a week. Is there anything substantive or new to this announcement, or thread?

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Interesting, although all of these revelations have been under discussion here for almost a week. Is there anything substantive or new to this announcement, or thread?

Cheers.
While we have an official press release available within the original post, I'm happy to answer any further questions anyone has regarding this announcement.

Stephen @ AA
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:13 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While we have an official press release available within the original post, I'm happy to answer any further questions anyone has regarding this announcement.

Stephen @ AA
How about responding to the questions posed in post 3 by emma dog.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma dog
::Sigh:: I guess I'll be the first one to ask what some of your bullets really mean.

Why the word codeshare? If I fly a BA plane operated as BA over, will I then have to book a BA flight number returning?

-What if I am upgraded?
-And to make sure, you're saying that a passenger in F (even if domestic) is allowed to send up to 70 lbs for free?
Thanks for your questions! Currently getting approved answers, will get back to you shortly
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation Please consider this a serious recommendation and warning...

Moderators are considering dedicating this thread to questions and answers of /by AmericanAirlines. Whether or not that occurs (pending deliberation and consultation by all moderators,) posts that are unwelcoming, hostile, vitriolic, unduly sarcastic, disruptive or otherwise against the FlyerTalk Rules will be summarily deleted - and posters who insist on continuing to post in these veins will be subject to FlyerTalk disciplinary action as detailed in the TOS.

Much of the new information is detailed in the current thread, Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharges (Oct 1, 2010)

The link provided by AmericanAirlines / Stephen does say:

American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia Announce Better Deal for Trans-Atlantic Flyers

LONDON, Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- More access to cheaper fares, bigger choice of flight times and easier connecting journeys will become reality for transatlantic flyers with the launch of the new joint business between American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia.

The CEOs of the three oneworld airlines met in London today for the official start of the new trilateral relationship, which enables oneworld to compete far more effectively with other global alliances on routes between Europe and North America.

American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia announced today four new routes that will start next April as an early benefit of the new joint business. They are: New York JFK-Budapest and Chicago-Helsinki (operated by American), London Heathrow-San Diego (operated by British Airways) and Madrid-Los Angeles (operated by Iberia).

The airlines have also placed codeshares on a significant number of additional routes, greatly increasing the number of destination choices available to customers. American will add its code to 322 British Airways and Iberia flights serving 101 destinations, British Airways will add its code to 2063 American and Iberia flights serving 181 destinations and Iberia will add its code to 354 American and British Airways flights serving 96 destinations. There will be further opportunities to increase codeshares in the future. In total, customers will be able to travel more easily on the airlines' combined route network which will serve more than 400 destinations in 105 countries with around 5,200 daily departures.

Other customer benefits include:
  • Greater access to a wider choice of fares
  • Coordinated schedules on joint routes to provide customers with better flight choice and timings
  • Dedicated support teams for customers transferring at five of the airlines' hubs: New York JFK, London Heathrow, Madrid, Chicago and Miami.
  • Online check in and boarding pass printing with either the airline operating the flight, or the one the ticket was booked through
  • Integrated online flight information on all three airlines' websites
  • Increased opportunity to earn and redeem frequent flyer benefits on trans-Atlantic flights
  • More integrated account management for corporate customers
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
This much is clear on aa.com baggage charges page:

Attention First and Business Class Customers
We are pleased to offer customers in First and Business Class the ability to check three bags at no charge.

A good start, IMO, but lots missing, as it appears to be a quick insert prior to the existing information.

Until they get their act together at AA, I think there will be significant confusion. It leaves lots of confusion about upgraded pax, how far out the upgrade may be (e.g. if upgraded at the gate, is the pax refunded?), elites' baggage allowances, and even the overweight charges for bags between 50 and 70 lbs are not dealt with yet. This JBV will likely offer some more unforeseen changes and specifics they did not predict when they cobbed it together. Fasten your seat belts...

Thanks for your questions! Currently getting approved answers, will get back to you shortly
Originally Posted by emma dog

-What if I am upgraded?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for doing so and for your honesty. I understand that you are in an official presence so you won't be able to deal in rumors

An addendum/related question: currently AA, IB and BA transatlantic fares are separate, different, and often prohibit travel on codeshares (i.e. you cannot book an BA-operated AA transatlantic codeshare on the IRHOL-type AA fares, preventing the mix and match that you cited in your post).

Do you have a date for when unified, identical, mix-match AA/IB/BA transatlantic fares are going to replace today's mish-mash of fares?

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Stephen @ AA
Thanks for the announcement and your presence on FlyerTalk.

If it were possible to more easily upgrade on BA/IB with AA upgrade currency, I am sure many of us would really appreciate it.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
Thank you for doing so and for your honesty. I understand that you are in an official presence so you won't be able to deal in rumors

An addendum/related question: currently AA, IB and BA transatlantic fares are separate, different, and often prohibit travel on codeshares (i.e. you cannot book an BA-operated AA transatlantic codeshare on the IRHOL-type AA fares, preventing the mix and match that you cited in your post).

Do you have a date for when unified, identical, mix-match AA/IB/BA transatlantic fares are going to replace today's mish-mash of fares?

Thanks
Second the question. I'm finding that most of the carrier-specific transatlantic fares published by AA and BA now carry the restriction that they cannot be used on codeshares. "I" and "R" fares are good examples; likewise "DUPs" and "A"s. Seems to contradict the assertion that we can mix/match, although I suppose we can splice different pieces together, if it's worth it (AA to LHR; separate BA fare beyond).

I'd expect the fares to get harmonised -- that's what has generally happened among the *A JV partners. But for the moment, the AA/BA situation is a mess; seems like it would just have been easier and better to accept the existing fares on the publishing carrier's codeshare, despite the difference in prices.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I've seen conflicting information on baggage weight.... initial links on AA.com indicated 70 pounds, then I saw a return to 50 pounds (3 bags) and now there's a mention of waiver of overweight charges....

Can we get some clarity - are we now able to check 3 bags 70 pounds just like United? I think that's where this is going but just want to confirm.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Dear Mr. Stephen (hopefully not Ms. !)

Thank you for your replies. Can you update us on BusinessExtraa? What impact will this have on BusinessExtraa awards? Are they now usable on codeshare flights across the Atlantic?

If we are now metal neutral, what impact does this have on Business Extraa? Can I put my Business Extraa number in my BA res instead of my On Business number?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I appreciate AA for adding JFK-BUD and ORD-HEL. Finally, the Malev and Finair hubs, previously underutilized by AA, will be put to great use in order to connect to more European and Middle Eastern destinations. This is a great alternative to having to always take BA, which tends to be a bit more pricy because of the fuel surcharges.

Hopefully this route will be a winner and we can see more fights to BUD and HEL from the other AA hubs. These are routes I definitely will see myself on because I prefer flying on AA metal as much as possible because of the upgrades.

But why are we Californians not getting any love? It seems like the 2 new services LAX-MAD and SAN-LHR are neither operated by AA metal. So much for my plan doing SFO-LAX to sneak in some extra miles.

Last edited by Xero; Oct 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.