Wiki Posts
Search

Minor AA "plug" on No Reservations TV show

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Minor AA "plug" on No Reservations TV show

On top of being addicted to flying, I'm also a foodie. On tonight's episode of No Reservations on the Travel Channel, Anthony Bourdain is in Madrid and in one scene, he is, well, making a joke on a dish that is a white powdery substance, with what is clearly a Platinum card showing the back side (Tivo slow-mo confirmed it for me). I called my wife over to show her, she wasn't as thrilled as I was.

Probably not the best plug, but hey!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given these kinds of "stealth ads" are usually paid placement, I wonder what AA may have paid...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Considering it showed the back of the card and he was making it look like he was cutting coke, I doubt it. My guess is a spur of the moment "hey, this would be funny, let me grab a card from my wallet that doesn't have anything identifying on the back".

If AA did pay, I give them props for being edgy!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Azulcactus
(Tivo slow-mo confirmed it for me). I called my wife over to show her, she wasn't as thrilled as I was.
Sounds like my house, only I would have been the one slow-motioning the DVR and it would have been my husband rolling his eyes.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by Azulcactus
Considering it showed the back of the card and he was making it look like he was cutting coke, I doubt it.
Perhaps Tony was subliminally inferring that AAdvantage miles were as addictive as coke.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by JDiver
Given these kinds of "stealth ads" are usually paid placement, I wonder what AA may have paid...
Perhaps Tony gets Lifetime Admirals Club access and lifetime CK status as trade for doing such a stealth ad.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Gambas y coca!!!!

Was pretty funny. Didn't notice that it was a PLT card. I could imagine that he's got status on most alliances with all the locations that he hits every year.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Max M
Perhaps Tony gets Lifetime Admirals Club access and lifetime CK status as trade for doing such a stealth ad.
Re: CK status. Does the CK stand for CoKe?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by mvoight
Re: CK status. Does the CK stand for CoKe?
IMHO, AB is the hippest guy alive. Other than sports and BBC News, No Reservations is the only thing I watch regularly on television. Given the
rumor of him overcoming heroin addiction, I doubt he'd simulate doing drugs on his show, even with a PLT card.

He does still seem to love to get his drink on, though.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Just saw this yesterday watching reruns. I was really excited. My wife could care less
Old May 16, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Bourdain is strictly against this type of thing so I doubt it was a plug (paid or not). This is the kind of thing that made him cut ties with Travel Channel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.