Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

European airspace closure 2010 (volcano ash) - general posts and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: FLYING KILLS THE PLANET

Original thread title: UK Airspace closed today - no info from AA

The current volcano ash related closures thread here is the best for checking resources for current information. This thread has been rededicated to general discussions, personal travel updates and impacts, etc. Thanks for your cooperation during challenging travel times. / Moderator

================================================== ========

Original post:

The entire British airspace is closed because of the volcanic ash from Iceland, yet there is nothing on aa.com, americanairlines.co.uk or the @AAirwaves twitter feed about rebooking, rescheduling, when the flights are expected to resume etc.

I know it's an American company and these changes won't affect 90% of AA customers (and yes, it's the middle of the night at DFW or wherever the website is managed) but surely this is exactly what Twitter and the web is for - for up-to-date information for passengers affected by this. I'd rather read about this on the @AAirwaves twitter feed than read yet another retweet from someone praising AA.

(Sorry to rant - concerned about making AA87 to ORD on Saturday)

Last edited by JDiver; May 16, 2010 at 10:46 am Reason: restoration and mod note
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:25 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
I've just been trying to find out info too... my SO is on AA98 from ORD-LHR which is just showing as delayed by 57mins but no idea if it's going to actually arrive or get diverted!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Here is some info from ba.com

Due to a plume of volcanic ash drifting over the UK, there is severe disruption to our operation today.

Please do not go to the airport if your flight is cancelled.

After 11.30am UK time there will be no departures from any British Airways UK airport. Many flights before that time have also been affected.

The decision to cancel has been made for safety reasons and on the direction from Air Traffic Control Service (NATS).

ALL airlines will be affected.

You are advised to check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by sukn
Here is some info from ba.com
Yes there's plenty of info from virtually every UK-based airline, but nothing from AA. General info is not very helpful when you need info on a specific flight, especially when it took off and clearly has to land somewhere!!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by androobe
Yes there's plenty of info from virtually every UK-based airline, but nothing from AA. !
Even Ryanair has info on their flights. Given that AA has 42 flights to/from the UK every day I really would expect some information
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:03 am

Just called AA and they tell me AA98 is going to land at 1212 - spoke to LHR operations. Watching BBC news live at LHR and nothing landing or taking off as of now.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
ouch i need to get home tomorrow (LHR>BOS). Has anyone seen any info on if this is supposed to "blow out" any time soon?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:19 am
Original Poster

No idea on when it will blow over but at the moment French airports are fine -- Eurostar to Paris and then CDG->BOS?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by phish1209
ouch i need to get home tomorrow (LHR>BOS). Has anyone seen any info on if this is supposed to "blow out" any time soon?
OK so AA98 landed at 1203.... close call.

Current news says UK airspace closed until at least 1800 today, likely to be longer. Hopefully should be clear for tomorrow mornings arrivals to be able to land. If anything there will probably be too many aircraft in the UK because they can't depart this afternoon/evening, not sure how AA will handle this.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Current news says UK airspace closed until at least 1800 today, likely to be longer. Hopefully should be clear for tomorrow mornings arrivals to be able to land. If anything there will probably be too many aircraft in the UK because they can't depart this afternoon/evening, not sure how AA will handle this.
Looks like many flights US-LHR tonight are already canceled.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:29 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
OK so AA98 landed at 1203.... close call.

AA will not be able to fly into LHR before getting those planes back first.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
maybe they'll upgrade the CDG flights today to the 777's that would be sitting around due to cancelled LHR flights.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Only a guess as to why this wasn't on aa.com sooner...., but the news of the ash cloud only came out this morning here in the UK, which would have been the middle of the night in the US, after many of the overnights heading towards LHR would have left, when AA's offices in Dallas would have been closed, etc. etc.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
AAgents won't rebook me on canceled flight through LHR

I'm supposed to fly ARN-LHR-RDU tomorrow and the ARN-LHR segment is already canceled. I called AA in Sweden and they have twice told me to call back later because they are not allowed to rebook until they get guidance from AA, which they don't have because they're "not awake yet". I can't believe it... they won't rebook me even though I'm on a canceled flight. If I don't get rebooked soon there will be little hope. FWIW I don't have any kind of status, but I think that the agents should be able to rebook folks on canceled flights.

Anyone have some advice for re-routing?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Rebooked for tomorrow

I received a text message alert at 5:19am that the JFK-LHR portion of my MIA-JFK-LHR flight had been cancelled and "rebook in progress. will update you shortly." Saw it when I woke up and immediately called AA. Longest hold time ever (+15 minutes). Was told all flights to UK cancelled today due to volcanic ash.

My final destination is DUB, but I had booked the LHR-DUB portion with Aer Lingus. Tried to get a flight to DUB today, but was told the 1 flight from ORD-DUB was full. Was able to get my partner and I booked on MIA-ORD-DUB for tomorrow. Gets me into DUB at 8:30am Saturday, instead of 1:15pm Friday.

Now I just need to cancel my LHR-DUB flight on Aer Lingus for tomorrow. But their US call center doesn't open till 8:30am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.