FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   Hawaiian Airlines partnership changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/475936-hawaiian-airlines-partnership-changes.html)

AZ Travels the World Sep 24, 2005 3:18 pm

Hawaiian Airlines partnership changes

I found this on HP's web site. I'm not sure when it was posted. They announced the end of the trans-pacific code-share some time back. This provides the details of the changes to the Hawaiian frequent flyer partnership.

Key points:
-- No more earning miles on Mainland-to-Hawaii flights
-- No more redeeming miles on Mainland-to-Hawaii flights
-- Earn (elite qualifying) miles for inter-island and South Pacific/Australia only
Assuming US partnership with UA and/or Star Alliance membership continue, options to Hawaii in the new US will be US and UA.

Not surprisingly, bad news. :(

Hawaiian Airlines Partnership Changes

America West recently announced the introduction of our own nonstop service to four Hawaiian Islands. Beginning December 16, FlightFund members will be able to fly America West nonstop from Phoenix to Honolulu, Oahu and Kahului, Maui. In March, we'll add nonstop service between Las Vegas and Maui; between Phoenix and Lihue, Kauai, and between Phoenix and Kona, Big Island. Learn more about our service to Hawaii.

America West FlightFund members will enjoy new benefits as we begin service to Hawaii – including on-line booking bonuses, lower mileage levels for award seats, on-line award travel reservations, and the ability to redeem miles for upgrades. Elite members can also take advantage of our unique elite-upgrade opportunities.

As America West launches our own service to Hawaii the current partnership with Hawaiian Airlines will change. Going forward, America West and Hawaiian Airlines will no longer partner on flights between the continental US and Hawaii; however we will continue to be inter-island and South Pacific partners. America West and Hawaiian Airlines first became partners in 2001, and we are pleased to be able to continue working with Hawaiian Airlines in the future. Hawaiian Airlines has frequently been recognized as the best airline providing service within Hawaii, and we know that our FlightFund members will continue to enjoy Hawaiian’s excellent service between the islands.

FlightFund members should please note the following important dates affecting frequent flyer benefits with Hawaiian Airlines:

Earning Miles

-- FlightFund members can continue to earn miles on all Hawaiian Airlines inter-island flights (flights within the Hawaiian Islands) and Hawaiian Airlines flights to Australia and other points in the South Pacific with no change in mileage earning benefits.

-- Members can continue to earn miles on Hawaiian Airlines transpacific flights (flights between the mainland US and Hawaii) for tickets issued before December 15, 2005 when travel occurs on or before June 14, 2006. Tickets issued after Dec 15 for travel on transpacific routes will no longer be eligible for credit. Travel on transpacific flights occurring after June 14, 2006 will not be eligible for credit regardless of ticketing date.

-- Mileage can only be earned on eligible fares.

Redeeming Miles

-- FlightFund members can continue to request award travel on Hawaiian Islands inter-island & South Pacific flights.

-- The last day to confirm and ticket award travel on Hawaiian Airlines transpacific flights will be December 15, 2005. FlightFund members can already book award reservation for travel on America West flights to Hawaii.

-- All award redemption travel on Hawaiian Airlines transpacific flights must be complete by December 14, 2006.

-- Reservations for travel on Hawaiian Airlines must be made by calling America West at 800-247-5691.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I still earn FlightFund miles when traveling on Hawaiian Airlines?
FlightFund members can continue to earn miles on all inter-island flights and all South Pacific flights operated by Hawaiian Airlines.
FlightFund members can continue to earn miles on Hawaiian Airlines transpacific flights so long as their tickets are issued by December 15, 2005 and travel occurs before June 14, 2006. Transpacific flights ticketed after Dec 15, 2005 will not be eligible for credit. Travel on transpacific flights after June 14, 2006 will not be eligible for credit regardless of ticketing date.

What is an inter-island flight? What is a transpacific flight? What is a South Pacific flight?
An inter-island flight is a flight between the islands of the state of Hawaii. For example, Honolulu to Kahului, Maui.

A transpacific flight is a flight between any point in the continental United States and any island in Hawaii. For example, Phoenix to Honolulu or Los Angeles to Maui.

A South Pacific flight is a flight between Hawaii and Australia, Hawaii and Tahiti, or Hawaii and American Samoa.

I bought my transpacific ticket after I saw this announcement; can I still earn FlightFund miles?
As long as your ticket is issued by December 15, 2005 and your travel occurs by June 14, 2006 you can still earn FlightFund miles when traveling on Hawaiian Airlines. Travel ticketed after Dec 15 will not be eligible for credit. Travel ticketed before Dec 15 but flown after June 14, 2006 will not be eligible for credit.

I want to redeem my miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines; can I still request an award ticket?
You can continue to request award tickets on Hawaiian Airlines inter-island flights without change. Award travel on transpacific flights is subject to the following deadlines: You must confirm, pay all applicable taxes, and ticket your award for transpacific travel no later than December 15, 2005. All travel on your transpacific award ticket must be complete by December 14, 2006.

What options will America West offer instead?
FlightFund members can already redeem their miles for award tickets on America West. Once service begins December 15, 2005 members will be able earn FlightFund miles on all America West flights to Hawaii.

Why is the partnership changing?
The Hawaiian Airlines partnership was initiated at a time when America West did not fly to Hawaii. With the introduction of our own service, changes to our agreement were required.

Will miles earned on Hawaiian Airlines inter-island flights still be elite-qualifying? Yes, all travel on Hawaiian Airlines inter-island flights, as well as flights to the South Pacific, will continue to qualify for elite status. Mileage earned on eligible transpacific flights will continue to qualify for elite status subject to the dates noted above.