FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   Phone reps calling us by first name (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/475748-phone-reps-calling-us-first-name.html)

zrs70 Sep 23, 2005 7:59 pm

Phone reps calling us by first name

Ok, I did a search under "first name," and it yieled no results.

Do you all find it strange that HP phone agents always ask you name, then procede to address you informally? I guess I should just get used it.

ByrdluvsAWACO Sep 23, 2005 9:09 pm

It hasn't happened to me.

I would remeber if someone called me by my first name as I'm always addressed as Mr. Byrd. Using my first name would be somewhat startling. ;)

stewabr Sep 23, 2005 9:43 pm

I get that about 50% of the time. FWIW it doesn't bother me either way.

snokums925 Sep 23, 2005 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70

Do you all find it strange that HP phone agents always ask you name, then procede to address you informally? I guess I should just get used it.

It is part of their monitor to use the callers name. Some feel more comfortable using the first name while others like Mr./Mrs Flyer better. No difference to me.

andrewp Sep 23, 2005 11:28 pm

In my case my last name is pretty intimidating. Some agents have no problem with it and the others ask if they may call me by my first name.

AZ Travels the World Sep 24, 2005 12:00 am

I'm called by my first name every time. Personally, I prefer it.

KevAZ Sep 24, 2005 12:30 am

Originally Posted by zrs70

As an American, can I ask why does this bother you? This is the accepted American standard since 1987. Want links? I've got links! :D

I could go into infinite detail here, but unless you want to slide another $1,000 into the PayPal slot, I will keep it short.

Since the late 80's the vast majority of Americans under the age of 65 (remember the first study was in '87 - 18 yrs ago. Those at the high end of the bracket are now 83 yrs old) preferred to be addressed by their first name when the customer service representative also provided their first name. The numbers approached 95% when they were identified as a frequent customer.

Soooooo, gotta ask - what's your problem? Perhaps you are someone from the Eastern part of the USA that wants the "Platinum Carpet treatment? :confused:

Bundy Bear Sep 24, 2005 12:52 am

Yeah I noticed this too; is it a recent thing.

sassamanlaw Sep 24, 2005 7:37 am

Originally Posted by KevAZ
Soooooo, gotta ask - what's your problem? Perhaps you are someone from the Eastern part of the USA that wants the "Platinum Carpet treatment? :confused:

What's your anger issues with USAirways/East Coast types?

Randeman Sep 24, 2005 8:11 am

I've not encountered this myself, but I don't think it would matter. My last name is usually mispronounced so I'd rather be called by my first name as it's pretty simple. What I hate is when some professionals, especially doctors, feel free to use my first name but are offended when I use theirs. I may not have quite as much education as a doctor, but respect is respect. If you expect me to call you Dr. So-and-so, be prepared to be corrected when addressing me by my first name.

zrs70 Sep 24, 2005 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Randeman
I've not encountered this myself, but I don't think it would matter. My last name is usually mispronounced so I'd rather be called by my first name as it's pretty simple. What I hate is when some professionals, especially doctors, feel free to use my first name but are offended when I use theirs. I may not have quite as much education as a doctor, but respect is respect. If you expect me to call you Dr. So-and-so, be prepared to be corrected when addressing me by my first name.

When I'm at the doctor's, no matter how old/ young the doctor is, I always use the porfessional title. When I am at synagogue, I always refer to the clergy by title. When I am on the phone with an airline rep, I always refer to them as "Mr/ Ms." Common courtesy.

Now, outside of these roles, I'll call the doctor by his first name on the tennis court, the rabbi by her first name over coffee, and the agent by his first name if we socialize.

I have always expected the same in return.

Joeypete Sep 24, 2005 9:14 am

It really depends for me. If I am helping someone my age or younger...I usually call them by their first name. Something about calling an 21 year old Mr. Smith is just weird for me..lol. Afterall people call us by our first name...that's all they can see on our name bars...I think it is cool.

KevAZ Sep 24, 2005 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sassamanlaw
What's your anger issues with USAirways/East Coast types?

I despise the "I am better than you" attitude that is prevelent in the northeastern part of the US. It offends me greatly. Not everyone is like that, but I rarely encounter a rude person with that attitude that hasn't been raised in the NE USA. PHL is my least favorite city in the world, mainly because of this attitude. Funny enough, PIT is friendlier than all get out, unless you're a fan of a Steelers' opponent! :D

zrs70 Sep 24, 2005 12:45 pm

I despise the "I am better than you" attitude that is prevelent in the northeastern part of the US. It offends me greatly. Not everyone is like that, but I rarely encounter a rude person with that attitude that hasn't been raised in the NE USA. PHL is my least favorite city in the world, mainly because of this attitude. Funny enough, PIT is friendlier than all get out, unless you're a fan of a Steelers' opponent! :D

Interesting how different part of the country can be stereotyped!

Here in Los Angeles, people overwhelming have a sense of entitlement.

andrewp Sep 24, 2005 3:08 pm

I despise the "I am better than you" attitude that is prevelent in the northeastern part of the US.

Funny, I despise the "I am better than you" attitude that is prevalent in the northeastern part of the the Valley...