Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phone reps calling us by first name

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 3:24 pm

Programs: CO - Platinum and SPG - Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
Ok, I did a search under "first name," and it yieled no results.

Do you all find it strange that HP phone agents always ask you name, then procede to address you informally? I guess I should just get used it.

I hope you have been getting called by your first name since you were born. I would be offended if they called me out of my name. Like "A Whole" or something, but complaining that someone refers to you by your real first name???? (...removed by moderator)

HP agents greetings say" I am such and such. May I have your name ????" If you say Bill. Then they say Bill how can I help you. If you say Mr.Smith then they say "How can I help you Mr.Smith". No matter if they use your first or last name, that doesn't mean they are giving good customer service. If that is all it takes to make you happy I am sure they will change the way agents talk to customers.

Obviously your not getting the love from home if you feel disrespected by someone calling you by your real name.

This is probably the most snobish thing I have read on the internet in my entire life. The old most snobish thing was on a BMW forum, when someone got made because the gas pumper asked him if he wanted regular or super unleaded for his 7 series.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Sep 24, 2005 at 3:34 pm Reason: Remove statement that was a violation of FT TOS
Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:23 am

I believe that when they ask you your name it's the agent's voice pre- recorded.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
I personally prefer the way the US Chairman's Preferred desk handles things...

"Chairman's Preferred, this is Kate...How may I help you Ms. nyc?"

It's nice that they already know who I am and where I'm going without me having to say a thing. They use the customer's last name, but it probably wouldn't bother me for them to use my first name instead.

Hopefully this level of personalized service will stay after the merger. ^
Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I prefer being called by my FULL first name, not the shortened version. People always mangle my last name anyway, which is why I prefer being called by my first name.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KevAZ
I despise the "I am better than you" attitude that is prevelent in the northeastern part of the US. It offends me greatly. Not everyone is like that, but I rarely encounter a rude person with that attitude that hasn't been raised in the NE USA. PHL is my least favorite city in the world, mainly because of this attitude. Funny enough, PIT is friendlier than all get out, unless you're a fan of a Steelers' opponent!
This is off topic but I have to respond to this. Nowhere is the "I am better than you" attitude more prevalant than in the Bible Belt South and Mormon Utah. I mean, really, when large masses of people tell you you're not as good as them because you aren't religious, don't follow arbitrary rules in a book, etc, that is the worst kind of the "I am better than you" attitude and often leads to bigotry and hate crimes.

The NE "I am better than you" attitude is really a "You need to prove yourself to me before I think you're equal to me". I know, I grew up there and now live elsewhere. I yearn for the NE attitude every day.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:36 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I gotta chime in here and support KevAZ in the NE attitude.

I escaped from NYC in 1980 when I moved here to AZ. Its amazing the difference in people. I can now really tell when someone is from NYC.... its kindof funny the look I get after I correctly surmise their habitat and ask what borough they are from.

Ill be the first to admit that people from NYC can be pushy and arrogant. I still get accused of that once in a while when I let the NY in me slip out.

It seems that the only thing missing is the accent sometimes...........
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by billinaz
Ill be the first to admit that people from NYC can be pushy and arrogant. I still get accused of that once in a while when I let the NY in me slip out.
Pushy and arrogant is not the same as "I am better than you". I actually prefer folks who tell me what they think, even if it comes across as arrogant. Saves so much time if you just know where you stand outright.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by zrs70
When I'm at the doctor's, no matter how old/ young the doctor is, I always use the porfessional title. When I am at synagogue, I always refer to the clergy by title. When I am on the phone with an airline rep, I always refer to them as "Mr/ Ms." Common courtesy.

Now, outside of these roles, I'll call the doctor by his first name on the tennis court, the rabbi by her first name over coffee, and the agent by his first name if we socialize.

I have always expected the same in return.
Well, I believe that was the point I made. I simply added to the effect that if I am expected to call someone "Mr., Mrs., Rev., Dr. Whatever" I expect to be addressed as "Mr. Randeman" (Nor do I have a problem calling someone younger than I am by their professional or social title either.) I don't believe respect comes exclusively from how many years one went to school, or, for that matter, how many lives one has "saved." Respect is respect regardless of how it is earned. Furthermore, if someone says to me, "please call me 'first name,'" I will immediately request they do the same. Additionally, if I first address someone with their title and last name and they at some point in the conversation address me by my first name, I will at the first opportunity use their first name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.