Changing of the guard at HP Headquaters

Old Sep 23, 05, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Changing of the guard at HP Headquaters

I was crusing down Rio Salado today on my way from campus to pick up some cigars and I noticed a bunch of cranes and activity at America West World Headquaters. When I looked up I noticed it no longer said "America West" on the side facing Tempe Town Lake (so north) by "US AIR" and more letters were on the way. Very sad. I also found some pics of it:

http://cactuswings.com/prints/awafc/...awasign-7.html
Old Sep 23, 05, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question Is it too late?

Has the sign on the HQ high-rise changed yet? I need to snap some photos before they make the change.
Old Sep 23, 05, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Has the sign on the HQ high-rise changed yet? I need to snap some photos before they make the change.
CMK10's right about the Tempe Town Lake side of the building, but the side facing Tempe and can be seen from ASU still holds the America West signage for now.

Time to go take pics before this beautiful livery is gone for good!
Old Sep 23, 05, 7:33 pm

Unhappy Gone forever.

I knew one of you asu'ers would spot this first.

Originally Posted by asu-ua772
CMK10's right about the Tempe Town Lake side of the building...
Old Sep 23, 05, 9:06 pm

Programs: WN CP
The operations building across I-10 from Sky Harbor has also been changed.
Old Sep 24, 05, 12:07 am

I drove by on the 202 tonight -- it looks like there's a sheet over the new sign.
Old Sep 24, 05, 12:13 am

what's sad...

...about the demise of the 'america west' brand? it never took off and there isn't any real loyalty to it. they had a chance to become a player then folded [and shut down columbus]. at least us airways is an airline that has managed to grow - and internationally as well. who knows america west beyond vegas and phoenix - seriously.
Old Sep 24, 05, 12:22 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdx42
...about the demise of the 'america west' brand? it never took off and there isn't any real loyalty to it. they had a chance to become a player then folded [and shut down columbus]. at least us airways is an airline that has managed to grow - and internationally as well. who knows america west beyond vegas and phoenix - seriously.
US Airways is well known - as a Piece of Shiesse joke airline. I have to say that funny enough, I feel "dirty" flying on a carrier with the name US Airline.

I am angry enough over the Doug's reluctance to put that crappy airline's name behind them to book all of my flights on AA. And I am based in PHX. I've lived in Australia, Singapore, UK, Netherlands and the USA. Have seen loads of airline consolidation - no reasonable answer why they would continue a super sub-standard brand like US Airways. What a hog! IMHO Doug made his first huge mistake by not putting a wooden stake in the heart of the country's worst airline's name.
Old Sep 24, 05, 12:58 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA red, HH Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KevAZ
US Airways is well known - as a Piece of Shiesse joke airline. I have to say that funny enough, I feel "dirty" flying on a carrier with the name US Airline.

I am angry enough over the Doug's reluctance to put that crappy airline's name behind them to book all of my flights on AA. And I am based in PHX. I've lived in Australia, Singapore, UK, Netherlands and the USA. Have seen loads of airline consolidation - no reasonable answer why they would continue a super sub-standard brand like US Airways. What a hog! IMHO Doug made his first huge mistake by not putting a wooden stake in the heart of the country's worst airline's name.
It wasn't so long ago that America West was Americas Worst Airline.

US Airways just sounds better.
Old Sep 24, 05, 7:33 am

Programs: HHonors Gold

Wow, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Seriously, what's in a name? "A rose by any other name..."
Old Sep 24, 05, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pdx42
I'm afraid that is incorrect. America West is still the only airline created after deregulation that grew to major airline status on it's own (rather quickly I might add) and was successful. We have a huge following on the west coast. Our record load factors show this. Everyday at work customers tell us how they wish our name wasn't going away. Many people don't like us (or US or any other airline for that matter!) but many more do. It's nice to hear such things. At least the headquaters will still be in Tempe...that makes AZ people happy.
Old Sep 25, 05, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I am angry enough over the Doug's reluctance to put that crappy airline's name behind them to book all of my flights on AA.
Kev,

I guess that we won't see you on the upgrade list. buh-bye
Old Sep 25, 05, 4:15 pm

Wow. It's as though I'm speaking throught KevAZ's keyboard.

US is a soul-less airline. HP had a certain charm US never had.
Old Sep 25, 05, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Wow. It's as though I'm speaking throught KevAZ's keyboard.

US is a soul-less airline. HP had a certain charm US never had.
Too true. I am proud to see HP taking bold action, but I will be sad to see the AWA name go.

Here's hoping the airline doesn't get dragged into oblivion by the new additions from the East.
Old Sep 26, 05, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Too true. I am proud to see HP taking bold action, but I will be sad to see the AWA name go.

Here's hoping the airline doesn't get dragged into oblivion by the new additions from the East.
I'm sure that someone had already suggested this, but I was thinking over the weekend that they should have named the combined airline simply "AWA" (kind of like TWA). The "AWA" could still stand for America West Airlines, but they wouldn't use it in practice. All flights would be referred to as "AWA Flight xxx". Oh well, too late now!

Search this Thread