Changing of the guard at HP Headquaters

Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:15 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Exclamation I Dub Thee "US Arseways"

I've been using this moniker for the woe begotten brand that slid into town a week or two ago under armed guard. Since then, I've received several emails from local colleagues (who are all natives of other states and not AZ natives) that have twisted it into You ... Arseways and much worse.

For a bunch of 100K+/yr fliers who don't live and breath airlines, it is abundantly clear to all of us that Mr. Parker could have done better with a brand such as "Lizzie Borden Airlines", "Joe Stalin, Have It My Way! Airline", or the one we all have settled on internally: "Doug Wrong Way Corrigan's Folly"

Outside of work, I will continue to use: "You ... Arseways"
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:19 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I guess thats better than US Worst................
Old Oct 5, 2005, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by KevAZ
Outside of work, I will continue to use: "You ... Arseways"
Which, of course, is nothing else but the new America West and all the people from the old America West....
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:02 am

Arrow

Originally Posted by chtiet
Which, of course, is nothing else but the new America West and all the people from the old America West....
My point is that they should have retired both names and created a new brand for a "new airline."

The two employee groups are not going to be happy with either name. US Airways doesn't carry any cachet at the moment, so why try to spit into the wind with it? It would have been less expensive to create a new brand then it will slamming two employee groups together under the name of one of the groups. None of us have a problem with retiring America West's name - it's the use of US Airways that doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:22 pm

[QUOTE=KevAZ]My point is that they should have retired both names and created a new brand for a "new airline."

The two employee groups are not going to be happy with either name.

Actually most of the HP people I have talked to are excited sad to see the name go but......

The idea of creating a brand new brand would have cost somewhere in the 100 million + range and in this economic environment would have been stupid.
You can turn around a bad brad much cheaper! Just look at MCD or HD in the past year or two??
In a year or two if they perform they will be the "beloved" US carrier!
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:55 pm

Lightbulb

AggieNzona,
Time will tell. Creating the new brand wouldn't have cost them $100M above what they are paying for the merger - not even close! Of course you can easily blow that much if you're not smart about it.....

Given that this is a merger and not a "dig yourself out" effort, I see the US Airways name being flypaper for every problem, real or perceived.

We'll soon see how it goes, but I am willing to bet a big chunk of cash that this is going to turn out to be a mistake that makes it into the MBA textbooks.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by KevAZ
AggieNzona,
Time will tell. Creating the new brand wouldn't have cost them $100M above what they are paying for the merger - not even close! Of course you can easily blow that much if you're not smart about it.....

Given that this is a merger and not a "dig yourself out" effort, I see the US Airways name being flypaper for every problem, real or perceived.

We'll soon see how it goes, but I am willing to bet a big chunk of cash that this is going to turn out to be a mistake that makes it into the MBA textbooks.
What not even close equate to ? Is it only going to be 95m ? You cant think it will be cheap to create a slogan for "We used to be AWA and USAir".

Also the merger cost and rebranding are two seperate issues, please dont confuse them into one cost.

I will take that bet for the mistake. How much are we talking about, what time frame and which text books would it have to appear in for you to win?

Ken in Phx

- Also how's AWA name recognition for overwater travel? Pretty good huh. Love that flight to Cancun from PHX. Fact is AWA had no name in Carrib, Europe or anywhere that USAir flew. Plus USAir has a nice Envoy class.

Last edited by Ken in Phx; Oct 10, 2005 at 1:44 am
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool Give it a rest

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
Also how's AWA name recognition for overwater travel? Pretty good huh. Love that flight to Cancun from PHX. Fact is AWA had no name in Carrib, Europe or anywhere that USAir flew. Plus USAir has a nice Envoy class.
I'm so sick of all this "AWA isn't recognized in Europe" crap. Name recognition can be built, and like US has proven, it can also be damaged.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I'm so sick of all this "AWA isn't recognized in Europe" crap. Name recognition can be built, and like US has proven, it can also be damaged.
100% on the mark.

I am not advocating keeping AWA.
Anyone in their right mind would consider the cost of turning a very damaged name around like US Air's.

Here's a situation that could happen; US' FAs and AWA's FAs don't come to an amicable agreement; a whizzing match breaks out & customer care suffers. Gee, doesn't that exactly match the public's perception of what happened last December with US Air? The tainted name can be flypaper to any and all crap that gets flung during the operational merger.

I could be wrong and there will be no major problems. But when's the last time that happened with two carriers of this size?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.