Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing of the guard at HP Headquaters

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, HA, CO
As of today, all America West signage on the HQ building in Tempe are gone. The Loop 202 side now holds the U.S. Airways signage, while the Tempe/ASU side has nothing (the America West has been removed).

Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Wink

Originally Posted by formeraa
I'm sure that someone had already suggested this, but I was thinking over the weekend that they should have named the combined airline simply "AWA" (kind of like TWA). The "AWA" could still stand for America West Airlines, but they wouldn't use it in practice. All flights would be referred to as "AWA Flight xxx". Oh well, too late now!
I'm hoping that somewhere in the future Doug Parker will do the smart thing and buy the "Pan Am" name and ditch the US curse.

As of today, all America West signage on the HQ building in Tempe are gone. The Loop 202 side now holds the U.S. Airways signage, while the Tempe/ASU side has nothing (the America West has been removed).
Too sad. I'm not sure I want to see the building now.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:10 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Hello..... it's just a sign.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I'm hoping that somewhere in the future Doug Parker will do the smart thing and buy the "Pan Am" name. . .
"Do the smart thing and buy the Pan Am name?" Seriously?

The last thing the majority of people no doubt remember about Pan Am is Pan Am 103. Kind of like TWA 800. I'm don't exactly see that as the legacy to latch on to.

Where do you come up with this stuff?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
"Do the smart thing and buy the Pan Am name?" Seriously?

The last thing the majority of people no doubt remember about Pan Am is Pan Am 103. Kind of like TWA 800. I'm don't exactly see that as the legacy to latch on to.
I don't see people fleeing airlines like AA because of flight 587/92/64, UA flights 65/44 , or AS because of flight 261.

As dumb as people are, I think many are able to differentiate between the old Pan Am and another airline using the "Pan Am" name.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:12 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by A320 EOW
Hello..... it's just a sign.
As you type that in PHL.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
As you type that in PHL.
And what does typing from PHL have to do with anything?

Bell Atlantic used to be headquartered here and when they became Verizon they moved to NYC. Do you think I was crying when that happened?

Life goes on ... the America West name is gone. Let it go. I'm just surprised so many of you are attached to the name/name on a building.

I'm sorry if I offended you guys with that comment, but that attachment to a name is just odd.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:54 am

Because it was a fixture of the valley which you wouldn't understand as someone in PHL(which is my place of birth btw).

Bell Atlantic used to be headquartered here and when they became Verizon they moved to NYC. Do you think I was crying when that happened?
On an airline forum who the hell cares about Bell Atlantic. We're talking about an airline that started here in the valley, and "the name" is very familiar here.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
New Sign Pics

I grabbed these today after another trip down Rio Salado.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cmk102...bum?.dir=/c650
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:13 am

Life goes on ... the America West name is gone. Let it go. I'm just surprised so many of you are attached to the name/name on a building.

I'm sorry if I offended you guys with that comment, but that attachment to a name is just odd.
Well you have to understand as HP started as a regional airline, it has a lot of sentimental value to those who "grew up" with the name in the southwest. HP was very much a symbol of Arizona...Phoenix in particular. Same could be said if the Alaska name was changed or Frontier, etc. It's still new...in time people WILL move on...just have to give em time!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:41 am

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by CMK10
I grabbed these today after another trip down Rio Salado.
As you maze around the construction zone with your what looks to be Lot 59 parking decal glaring through your windshield in one of the pics!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Cool

Wow. It's as though I'm speaking throught KevAZ's keyboard.

US is a soul-less airline. HP had a certain charm US never had.

Absolutely untrue.

Please don't confuse the US of late with the US we used to know in the 1990s. In the same way HP is Phoenix's hometown airline, US is our hometown airline here in DC. Our reverance for the airline certainly has never been as strong as the reverance for HP, but at least until a couple of years ago, US was thought of in similiar terms as HP is.

"US Airways begins with you," "You won't regret flying with US," and "Fly the flag" are some of the most memorable slogans that US has had that IMO, definitely give the airline character.

The US as it has stood in the past two years can be described as character-less, but not soul-less. The excellent frontline employees that keep those that are loyal coming back certainly give the airline a "soul."

On the other hand, I disagree with anyone that will say that America West is "just a name" or "just an airline." The company does have a certain charm about it that no other major airline has. Likewise, people in Arizona and other places out west have a certain respect and reverance for the company that other companies just don't see. The only other airline that I can think of that was held in similiar terms of HP was Piedmont- well respected and loved in the mid-Atlantic. It's true that airlines do have personalities and when one disappears, the sense of loss is real.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by asu-ua772
As you maze around the construction zone with your what looks to be Lot 59 parking decal glaring through your windshield in one of the pics!
You'd better believe that's a Lot 59 Decal! I go to and from there at least 14 times a week and no Flash bus for me!
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:20 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4

"US Airways begins with you," "You won't regret flying with US," and "Fly the flag" are some of the most memorable slogans that US has had that IMO, definitely give the airline character.

The US as it has stood in the past two years can be described as character-less, but not soul-less. The excellent frontline employees that keep those that are loyal coming back certainly give the airline a "soul."
That's for damn sure.

Flying US even lately has had a certain charm due to the front-line employees, especially the flight attendants (and of course the local folks here in Jacksonville... "Good to Go!" Wayne , "First class is full, THANK YOU" Laurie, Greg, "We now offer preboarding for the infirm..." Joe, "Next in line? First Class, next in line?!?!?" Nancy, "Dick Cheney look-alike" Doug, etc.).

Don't write off the entirety of US. They bring as many good people to the table as HP.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:03 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Cool What's in a name? Well, a load of excess baggage, for one thing

Excellent Branding Article From Professor of Global Marketing at Thunderbird School of International Management

My response to a rebuttal from the PR dept of US Arseways:

Ms. Eberwein’s rebuttal to Dr. Richard Ettenson’s column clearly states that 35,000 US Airways employees do not wish to see the name go away. What of the 14,000 America West employees who are forced into a shotgun wedding? Her statement strongly supports Dr. Ettenson’s concern about a winners vs. losers situation during union negotiations.

The comparison with Continental is not accurate; Continental didn’t slam two pools of employees together. As a frequent flier that loathes poor service, the name US Airways creates a huge negative connotation for me. I cannot look at a US Airways employee without remembering the suffering they put their customers through last December.

I predict that the cost of overcoming their poor reputation will more than offset the cost of re-branding the new airline. It appears that Mr. Parker’s first big misstep is a doozy, and could potentially be fatal unless the employee negotiations are flawlessly completed

Doug, it's the last chance to admit your mistake and move quickly to correct it. Is this truly a new airline, or just another Rube Goldberg scheme to save a tired old airline that should have been allowed to go off and die?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.