SOT: CNX time in PHX

Old Sep 15, 05, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, MR Platinum Premier Elite
SOT: CNX time in PHX

Hi -

I've never been to PHX airport and just wondering if 25 minutes is a do-able (and legal) connection time?

Flight info is:
Oct 3
AWA 687 SNA > PHX arrive 8:20a
AWA 266 PHX > YYZ depart 8:45a

Since it's a long weekend in YYZ I don't want to be stuck in PHX for the day... is it worth trying?

Also, since it's after Oct 1 should I hold my breath on being able to credit to a *A account, or should I just conceed that my points may go to waste?

Thanks for any info

T.
Old Sep 15, 05, 6:41 pm

Is this something you've already booked, or are you just considering it? Assuming it's all on one itinerary, you probably would have time to connect. Any checked luggage might not make it, though.

Any reason not to take 590 instead of 687? 590 arrives at 8:10am, and 590/266 is a published connection.
Old Sep 16, 05, 10:58 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by alanh
Is this something you've already booked, or are you just considering it? Assuming it's all on one itinerary, you probably would have time to connect. Any checked luggage might not make it, though.

Any reason not to take 590 instead of 687? 590 arrives at 8:10am, and 590/266 is a published connection.
This is a good connection assuming no weather/mx problem. Flights in this bank typically arrive 10 to 15 minutes early. Just proceed quickly to your next gate for immediate departure! For safety's sake, I would arrive at SNA a little early and standby for flight 590.

Also, they typically will hold the international connections (where they only have 1 or 2 flights per day) for 10-15 minutes if one of the connecting flights is late.
Old Sep 16, 05, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, MR Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by alanh
Not booked - just curious.

The difference in quoted price was around $100 dollars, so I wanted to make sure it was possible.

FormerAA has a good suggestion - I think that will be my plan of attack, and worse case have to make a good run at PHX.

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 16, 05, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Also keep in mind that PHX T4 is a big terminal and the distances can really rack up. There are moving walkways, but people really have an issue with the whole "walk left, stand right" idea.

I haven't come in on one of the early arrivals but in the afternoons most of the A319/A320 flights end up in the "high A gates." If, for whatever reason, your YYZ flight leaves out of the B concourse be ready for a long and exhausting run.

On the other hand, it looks like 266 is also an airbus so there's a pretty good chance that you'll be leaving out of the same concourse that you come in on.

Originally Posted by AskTravis
FormerAA has a good suggestion - I think that will be my plan of attack, and worse case have to make a good run at PHX.

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 17, 05, 4:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by andrewp
Also keep in mind that PHX T4 is a big terminal and the distances can really rack up. There are moving walkways, but people really have an issue with the whole "walk left, stand right" idea.
I've noticed the issue with the moving walkways. However, if I am in a hurry, a polite but firm "Excuse Me!" seems to do the trick. I have made it from one end of T4 to the other end of T4 in 12 minutes (walking briskly the whole way).

Also, I often try to get a seat near the front of the plane for this early bank. Of course, now that I live in PHX, it is irrelevant for me (but when I previously lived in Texas, it was very relevant).

Search this Thread