What is FC like with America West?

Old Sep 15, 05, 5:24 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

What is FC like with America West?

America West is selling domestic FC tickets about $300 less than the other three airlines... ( SEA-CLE).

What is their FC product like? Is it comparable to other domestic FC ?
Old Sep 15, 05, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by david4455
America West is selling domestic FC tickets about $300 less than the other three airlines... ( SEA-CLE).

What is their FC product like? Is it comparable to other domestic FC ?
It is okay at best. It certainly isn't comparable to any of the legacy carriers (and if US is included in this legacy list, then HP has an edge on their F service--perhaps the worst ever).

You'll have two choices of entrees, a chicken caesar or a pasta dish (usually a tri colored tortellini), breadstick that doubles as a self defense instrument, and either a cookie or brownie. Movie on IFE (you'll be lucky this month when you are graced with yet another top quality picked movie...Mr and Mrs Smith...uggh). Flight attendants are professional, prompt, and courteous. Bud Light or Heineken, select wine service (this month's feature: mad dog 20/20), and all soft drinks (they even have diet dr pepper ). Probably be a 3.5 hour flight from phx-cle. Your outbound out of seattle however will have zero food, so be warned. Just the "gourmet mix" snack pack (speaking of those, didn't someone mention on here a while back the much tastier gold mix is coming back??).

Hope this helps.

Ian
Old Sep 15, 05, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
It is okay at best. It certainly isn't comparable to any of the legacy carriers (and if US is included in this legacy list, then HP has an edge on their F service--perhaps the worst ever).

You'll have two choices of entrees, a chicken caesar or a pasta dish (usually a tri colored tortellini), breadstick that doubles as a self defense instrument, and either a cookie or brownie. Movie on IFE (you'll be lucky this month when you are graced with yet another top quality picked movie...Mr and Mrs Smith...uggh). Flight attendants are professional, prompt, and courteous. Bud Light or Heineken, select wine service (this month's feature: mad dog 20/20), and all soft drinks (they even have diet dr pepper ). Probably be a 3.5 hour flight from phx-cle. Your outbound out of seattle however will have zero food, so be warned. Just the "gourmet mix" snack pack (speaking of those, didn't someone mention on here a while back the much tastier gold mix is coming back??).

Hope this helps.

Ian
I actually liked Mrs and Mrs. Smith...At least it isn't a total chick flick like that Travelling pants movie I was forced view (but thankfully not listen to) on US.

I really wish they would switch up the salad / pasta thing. They are soooo tired now..the pasta has always sucked but the salad I didn't mind the first few hundred times.

Yeah what ever did happen to the old snack mix coming back. I thought someone said it would be 6 months but that might have been in may so we still have a couple months left of that crap. I like the snack basket idea of US though.

Oh and no power ports in first (or anywhere else on an HP plane)

Lance
Old Sep 15, 05, 6:26 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Talking

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
I actually liked Mrs and Mrs. Smith...At least it isn't a total chick flick like that Travelling pants movie I was forced view (but thankfully not listen to) on US.

I really wish they would switch up the salad / pasta thing. They are soooo tired now..the pasta has always sucked but the salad I didn't mind the first few hundred times.

Yeah what ever did happen to the old snack mix coming back. I thought someone said it would be 6 months but that might have been in may so we still have a couple months left of that crap. I like the snack basket idea of US though.

Oh and no power ports in first (or anywhere else on an HP plane)

Lance

One more thing, avoid the older 737-300's in first. If there is a choice of times and one has an Airbus, go for that plane.. usually much better seats and comfort.

Actually on some planes, I prefer emergency row over certain rows in first.

Cheers!
Old Sep 15, 05, 6:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
It is okay at best. It certainly isn't comparable to any of the legacy carriers (and if US is included in this legacy list, then HP has an edge on their F service--perhaps the worst ever)...
Have you flown on US Airways lately? I've had excellent experiences over the last month with their First Class service. The meals have been good and the service attentive and friendly. The only negative vis a vis the competition has been the use of plastic cups instead of glasses.
Old Sep 15, 05, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
Have you flown on US Airways lately? I've had excellent experiences over the last month with their First Class service. The meals have been good and the service attentive and friendly. The only negative vis a vis the competition has been the use of plastic cups instead of glasses.
Actually good point. No, I haven't. My written opinion was solely based on what I read on the US forum and that some sort of food bag is given to F customers. I am way off? If so my apologies. "Don't knock it until you try it" eh? Perhaps I should take some of my own advice.
Old Sep 15, 05, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
One more thing, avoid the older 737-300's in first. If there is a choice of times and one has an Airbus, go for that plane.. usually much better seats and comfort.

Actually on some planes, I prefer emergency row over certain rows in first.

Cheers!
LAX1K, I flew one of HP's 752's in row 2 last week to IAH--bulkhead, starboard side of a/c. What I was most impressed with (and surprised) was that a large cubby hole area was cut out of the bulkhead for major legroom. Definitely the best seat in a 752 F (2C).

Ian

Last edited by enviroian; Sep 15, 05 at 8:54 pm
Old Sep 15, 05, 8:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
Actually good point. No, I haven't. My written opinion was solely based on what I read on the US forum and that some sort of food bag is given to F customers. I am way off? If so my apologies. "Don't knock it until you try it" eh? Perhaps I should take some of my own advice.
The Inflight Cafe boxes have been replaced by hot tray meals on flights to the west coast. East coast flights have snacks served on trays (small sandwich & side salad with an XOXO bar, for example).
Old Sep 15, 05, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
The Inflight Cafe boxes have been replaced by hot tray meals on flights to the west coast. East coast flights have snacks served on trays (small sandwich & side salad with an XOXO bar, for example).

Yep, I should add that breakfast snack service in F consists of either a small croissant OR bagel and a fruit plate, all served on plastic.
Old Sep 15, 05, 10:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
LAX1K, I flew one of HP's 752's in row 2 last week to IAH--bulkhead, starboard side of a/c. What I was most impressed with (and surprised) was that a large cubby hole area was cut out of the bulkhead for major legroom. Definitely the best seat in a 752 F (2C).
Don't count on that cubby hole, though. Some of the 57s have them, it seems more don't.
Old Sep 16, 05, 2:52 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Is Seatguru accurate in that pitch is only 35-36 inches in first? It lists 4 configurations for HP.
Old Sep 16, 05, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Don't count on that cubby hole, though. Some of the 57s have them, it seems more don't.
Taking this flight a few weeks back reminded of something funny that happened while on board. The man across the aisle from me in 2B asked for a cup of coffee. When the f/a attendant brought it to him, he took one sip and fairly loudy exclaimed: "ah excuse me miss? do you have any better tasting coffee? This coffee is really bad. I do consider myself quite the connoisseur of coffee let me tell you. If it's not folgers or dunkin donuts, I won't drink it"

I was waiting for him to at least smile/smirk etc. No dice. He wasn't joking.
Old Sep 16, 05, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In fact the more you need it there, the less likely it is to be there. I loved sitting in row 2 bulkhead when it was there but more often than not I was not so lucky in getting it.

Lance
Old Sep 16, 05, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by plat
Is Seatguru accurate in that pitch is only 35-36 inches in first? It lists 4 configurations for HP.
I've never actually measured it with a tape measure but it seems accurate. I know I hate flying the 737s cuz it seems like you are placing your laptop on the head of the guy that is now reclining in your lap.

Lance
Old Sep 16, 05, 10:22 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, DL Silver, WN A-List
Avoid row 1 A & C on 737s

This is the nightmare row.

Every boarding coach passenger steps on your feet and then you get to play footsie with the crew on takeoff and landing.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid all HP 737s.

Search this Thread