What is FC like with America West?

Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:25 am
  #16  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,120
Originally Posted by mallthus
This is the nightmare row.

Every boarding coach passenger steps on your feet and then you get to play footsie with the crew on takeoff and landing.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid all HP 737s.
Definitely! The lack of a bulkhead on that side makes them tough seats -- though once you're in the air the space is nice.

BTW, it's seats A&B you want to avoid. C is ok, as it's across the aisle and has a bulkhead in front of it. HP does AB-CD in F; ABC-DEF in Y.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:28 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Posts: 1,120
Originally Posted by enviroian
Taking this flight a few weeks back reminded of something funny that happened while on board. The man across the aisle from me in 2B asked for a cup of coffee. When the f/a attendant brought it to him, he took one sip and fairly loudy exclaimed: "ah excuse me miss? do you have any better tasting coffee? This coffee is really bad. I do consider myself quite the connoisseur of coffee let me tell you. If it's not folgers or dunkin donuts, I won't drink it" ^

I was waiting for him to at least smile/smirk etc. No dice. He wasn't joking.
Actually he got it half right. Dunkin Donuts is considered by a lot of people to be the best coffee offered by a large chain because they use 100% Arabica beans. Folgers, on the other hand, is a blend of cheap stuff.
plat is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:59 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 2,085
Originally Posted by mallthus
This is the nightmare row.

Every boarding coach passenger steps on your feet and then you get to play footsie with the crew on takeoff and landing.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid all HP 737s.

This is a plus and a minus. I've had some really great conversations with some of HP's best FAs (20 yrs+) while seated in 1B.
GotCalcio4 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:42 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
Posts: 248
Agree...

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
This is a plus and a minus. I've had some really great conversations with some of HP's best FAs (20 yrs+) while seated in 1B.
I like 1A...but everyone does step on your toes during boarding if you are in 1B. Personally I fly mostly shorter flights as I am PHX based and fly to ELP, ABQ, LAS and DIA mostly. I do fly MSP on HP as well. Longer flights generally go to Delta and I'm not sure if that'll change with the merger. I think the lack of power ports was mentioned but this is one downfall of the FC cabin on HP. FAs are pretty professional and courteous. The only time I see a meal is on the flights 3-4 times a yr to MSP, so I guess for me it isn't as tired as for others. The snack mix on the other hand is very tired.
rbedgood is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:12 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatchewan
Programs: AS,AC
Posts: 174
We find row 1 a bit scrunchy for legroom. we don't fly HP First often but seats and service are as good as AS for sure. We are occasional fliers. All these people that fly all the time have much more to compare and may be a bit more jaded. We have a different persective, I guess.
Dmarsh11 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:57 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
First Class on America West is like cheap wine, and I don't even drink.
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:18 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by fly747first
First Class on America West is like cheap wine, and I don't even drink.
LOL that's too funny...does it give you a headache like cheap wine?

I haven't flown our FC in a long time but I do know that it is more of a courtesy than anything else. It really isn't meant to be competitive to other legacy carriers since we started changing our business model. It is nice enough and cheap enough to upgrade for a bigger seat or a meal (if there is one). Most people are willing to pay $150 for an upgrade on a longer flight. To be honest I just flew in FC on CO and it wasn't anything exciting. I would certainly say it was comparable to HP's...expcept they use glass cups. They were on shorter flights but the food was NOTHING to write home about..lol. Of course this doesn't include BFirst...which is obviously better.
Joeypete is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:28 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Originally Posted by Joeypete
LOL that's too funny...does it give you a headache like cheap wine?

I haven't flown our FC in a long time but I do know that it is more of a courtesy than anything else. It really isn't meant to be competitive to other legacy carriers since we started changing our business model. It is nice enough and cheap enough to upgrade for a bigger seat or a meal (if there is one). Most people are willing to pay $150 for an upgrade on a longer flight. To be honest I just flew in FC on CO and it wasn't anything exciting. I would certainly say it was comparable to HP's...expcept they use glass cups. They were on shorter flights but the food was NOTHING to write home about..lol. Of course this doesn't include BFirst...which is obviously better.
Yes of course, but in general just flying America West gives me a headache. I probably should not be saying that, though. Oh well, honesty will save me.

I totally agree with your other comment regarding First Class on Continental. The other day someone in the CO forum said that CO has the premier domestic First Class, and I was like, what?!?!?!? I guess he has never flown United in domestic F. Now, that's unfortunate.
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2005, 12:53 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SFO/ATL/MEL/BKK
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Posts: 2,678
I am not an America West Flyer... But recently I had taken them from SFO to ATL This was day of last minute. The ticket was only $400 one way. The recline of F was awful. Yet I felt comfy in the cabin. Service was only drink/snack no glass. What really impressed me was the fact that I Could use their clubs for free! Which were impressive compared to RCC (I transited LAS and PHX cause when I Got to LAS I realized that if I connect in PHX I Could get to ATL at 3am instead of 6) There was a free bar, and decent snacks chips, muffins etc. In PHX there was a super pretzel warmer! Yet I was there after they served them Anyway If I Was not a UA flyer (who offers the same F fare booked in QUP) I would be really happy with HP as an airline $800 first class return tickets across the country, and free lounge access and booze, and a free day at the casinos if warrented.. Thumbs up to HP.
ryan754 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:08 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes of course, but in general just flying America West gives me a headache. I probably should not be saying that, though. Oh well, honesty will save me.

I totally agree with your other comment regarding First Class on Continental. The other day someone in the CO forum said that CO has the premier domestic First Class, and I was like, what?!?!?!? I guess he has never flown United in domestic F. Now, that's unfortunate.
How do you think I feel? I've worked for them for 5 years..lol. Actually they have been ok...Mesa is the one that sucks but in TUS that's all we get....no mainline. My job would be much easier if we had our own planes...at least they are ontime!
Joeypete is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2005, 1:43 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arizona USA
Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,652
Originally Posted by Joeypete
How do you think I feel? I've worked for them for 5 years..lol. Actually they have been ok...Mesa is the one that sucks but in TUS that's all we get....no mainline. My job would be much easier if we had our own planes...at least they are ontime!
Many HP FFs are hoping fly747first's headaches end up as an aneurism that only occurs on HP/US flights and that he will go somewhere else to whine......
KevAZ is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:21 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Many HP FFs are hoping fly747first's headaches end up as an aneurism that only occurs on HP/US flights and that he will go somewhere else to whine......
How funny, or should I say sad? I suppose the wit train just isn't for you. Get it? Well, I hope I fly with you some day, can't wait to say "have a good trip Kev!" as you pass my seat on your way to Y.
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:26 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EDI
Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Posts: 1,922
Good thread. I am looking to book a one-way flight from ORD to SFO for next year and in the UK AA prices at 175ukp for economy and 375ukp for FIRST so HPs 255ukp fare for First is great! Just want a bit more space and not having to dig around for change to buy food and drink on the flight!
Aerotec is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:18 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: PHX/SFO/LAX
Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Posts: 7,784
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Many HP FFs are hoping fly747first's headaches end up as an aneurism that only occurs on HP/US flights and that he will go somewhere else to whine......
I'm no fan of the guy either, but that's pretty serious. How about a seizure and a ticket in CO Y instead?
ByrdluvsAWACO is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:26 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Posts: 4,251
Originally Posted by plat
Is Seatguru accurate in that pitch is only 35-36 inches in first? It lists 4 configurations for HP.
Probably, the pitch is substanially less than other airlines
FlyAO2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.