FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   Is this business as usual with HP management? If so, I'll Move On (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/473056-business-usual-hp-management-if-so-ill-move.html)

abeflyer Sep 15, 2005 1:27 pm

Is this business as usual with HP management? If so, I'll Move On

Can someone give me, a US CP, an insight to HP Management. Impressions prior to the merger were that they were very customer oriented and responsive to their customers needs. The impression was that they were a well run company.

Pre-merger events at US are now giving me pause. They seem to have adopted the “we know best” philosophy of the former US Airways managements of the past two decades. They seem to make changes without any thought about how the customers perceive it.

For example in the last month one has to wonder about these decisions that are taking place with US with presumably HP management's approval: 1. Drop pretzels to save $1million per year (giving more the displaced managers--really makes them look cheap), 2. Recreating banks of flights in PHL as of Nov, that previously created gridlock (debanking actually made PHL work on most days), 3. Now taking out power ports on airbus’s which make them uncompetitive to UA on trans con flights (if you don’t have power to work, why not be in E+, so you can at least be comfortable and have more room to work).

They are creating what they say a low cost carrier, but it doesn’t have anything to distinguish itself, be it IFE or a no-frills no reserve seat model. It was something that could have been used to distinguish themselves even in HP markets for the business customer on trans cons.

Is this business as usual with HP management? If so, let the merger happen, but I’ll look elsewhere. I’m only at 91,000 miles so far this year, so someone will comp me .

If not, how do you get their attention that they are making wrong moves out of the starting gate.

TransWorldOne Sep 15, 2005 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by abeflyer
Can someone give me, a US CP, an insight to HP Management. Impressions prior to the merger were that they were very customer oriented and responsive to their customers needs...

Yes, they are very customer-oriented. To serve me better, they cut the Gold Elite bonus of their "award-winning FlightFund program" from 100% to 50%. Inflight service is top notch-- first, the delicious First Class Hot Pocket and now, even more disgusting pasta dishes. Finally, they made redeeming award tickets a delightful experience by requiring significantly more miles for them.

Thanks to their thoughtfulness and responsiveness, I have realized that my needs are better met by other airlines.

enviroian Sep 15, 2005 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
the delicious First Class Hot Pocket

:D ^

LAX1K to AmWest Sep 15, 2005 6:21 pm

Well the customer service doesn't matter as much as the "coffin" first class on the 737-300. I would say always go for row 1.. because row 2 you have row 1 in your lap...... sheshhh

But that is my personal rant :)

formeraa Sep 16, 2005 11:01 am

Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
Well the customer service doesn't matter as much as the "coffin" first class on the 737-300. I would say always go for row 1.. because row 2 you have row 1 in your lap...... sheshhh

But that is my personal rant :)

HP is pretty much a LCC model with a few First Class seats. The new airline will be the same.

GotCalcio4 Sep 16, 2005 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
HP is pretty much a LCC model with a few First Class seats. The new airline will be the same.

Don't forget about the "robust" frequent flyer program and "extensive" airport club network (that has lost 7 clubs in the past year, btw) that we should soon expect.

19103_aa Sep 16, 2005 10:34 pm

There is no point in debating decisions made by management; we should all let go.

AZ Travels the World Sep 16, 2005 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
There is no point in debating decisions made by management; we should all let go.

Very nice.

Just a wee bit passive aggressive?

Joeypete Sep 17, 2005 11:03 am

Things are changing that's for sure, but you will probably notice more of a difference if you are a regular US flyer than an HP flyer. Yes certain things may be cut to lower costs but other things may be added. My station manager just went to a meeting about the merger and they went over a lot of policies that were going to be added/changed/deleted. They said US wasted incredible amounts of money and that would be stopped immediately. Overall you will probably be pretty happy with the way the new airline turns out eventually....it will take time though. Just be patient.

Wilbur Sep 17, 2005 11:28 pm

Having flown both enough last year to make HP Plat and UA 1K (I always credit my US flights to UA) I suggest that HP's execution was superior from a customer perspective. And the difference was not trivial.

Assuming that the execution I saw as a customer reflect's management competence, I imagine that US customers will either be happy to have the new management, or else the merger will swamp everybody and continue to drag US into oblivion and suck HP down with it.

KevAZ Sep 18, 2005 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
.... or else the merger will swamp everybody and continue to drag US into oblivion and suck HP down with it.

I am an optimist, but I keep smelling, hearing and seeing signs that your latter remark will bear truth.

It's too bad. Parker and crew did a great job shoveling up after Franke's ill-gotten parade, but it appears that they have no clue how to capture their higher margin customers.

Joeypete Sep 18, 2005 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Having flown both enough last year to make HP Plat and UA 1K (I always credit my US flights to UA) I suggest that HP's execution was superior from a customer perspective. And the difference was not trivial.

Assuming that the execution I saw as a customer reflect's management competence, I imagine that US customers will either be happy to have the new management, or else the merger will swamp everybody and continue to drag US into oblivion and suck HP down with it.

I think most will be happy, we have a good team. Believe me I was there when HP was in their darkest hour...I saw how Doug turned things around. There is no comparison. He and his team will do a good job, but like I said it may take a little time. There is a lot to fix at US!!

Ken in Phx Sep 18, 2005 11:58 pm

Complaining about a specific airline is a waste of time. Every program has massive flaws. Where are you going to go instead? NWA or Delta ? I cant beleive how many people complain about the meal they are served. When was the last time you got excited about eating airplane food? Its nasty at best.

Every Airline has their problems, you might as well use them to your best advantage. Also you should accumulate as many points as possible in non-airline (aka hotel points ) the end is coming for most if not all airline, as we know them.

Ken in Phx

Phobank Sep 20, 2005 11:16 am

Drop pretzels and power ports so they keep flying & I don't loose my hard earned miles? I'll take it.

If cost-cutting riles you up, follow the money and start looking at the payoffs to executives -- forget about the <$1MM saved on dropping pretzels, look at the $12MM being paid to 23 US executives just to go away. I'm all for people being paid what they're worth but why give an average of ~$500k per person that drove the company to Chp 11? This is just the first wave; there will be more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050915/...s_usairways_dc

GotCalcio4 Sep 20, 2005 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Phobank
Drop pretzels and power ports so they keep flying & I don't loose my hard earned miles? I'll take it.

If cost-cutting riles you up, follow the money and start looking at the payoffs to executives -- forget about the <$1MM saved on dropping pretzels, look at the $12MM being paid to 23 US executives just to go away. I'm all for people being paid what they're worth but why give an average of ~$500k per person that drove the company to Chp 11? This is just the first wave; there will be more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050915/...s_usairways_dc

So you know, pretzels are returning. Recently, Parker made the decision, which I think is a pretty good one.

US is (was) an airline trying to cut losses in excess of $300 million/year, and is trying to save $1 million in pretzels costs? Get real.