Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

Is this business as usual with HP management? If so, I'll Move On

Is this business as usual with HP management? If so, I'll Move On

Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, LHW Access, Hertz PC
FC Meals

Probably the wrong thread to post this in, but the bread sticks on HP are great if you break them up and use them as croutons w/ the ceasar...
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I honestly think HP has lost their way over the past year. Not only are they no longer rewarding their supposedly prized frequent flyers like they once did, but I chuckle at their suggestion about being a low cost carrier. They are very much a low cost carrier with regards to what they offer (or lack thereof), but have been inching up prices over the past year.

To support this claim, I reviewed the Sunday AZ Republic travel section which lists the lowest airfares to 22 destinations from Phoenix. For being a low cost carrier, guess how many of these 22 they were listed for as the lowest (or tied for the lowest) fare? Roughly 9% - 2 out of 22. I laugh at their claims of being a low cost carrier - they once were but no longer are. I've taken most of my business elsewhere and generally have more pleasant experiences with AA and UA.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:58 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Low-cost carrier pricing strategy doesn't mean they're going to have the cheapest fare all the time. See Southwest.

What it does mean is that they won't usually give last-minute business travelers a screw-job with jacked-through-the-roof BloFares to compensate for the people buying cheap advance-purchase leisure fares.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Don't forget about the "robust" frequent flyer program and "extensive" airport club network (that has lost 7 clubs in the past year, btw) that we should soon expect.
US club network still beats the HP alternative---probably 7 total clubs in their network and 3 are in the same airport--PHX.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Things are changing that's for sure, but you will probably notice more of a difference if you are a regular US flyer than an HP flyer. Yes certain things may be cut to lower costs but other things may be added. My station manager just went to a meeting about the merger and they went over a lot of policies that were going to be added/changed/deleted. They said US wasted incredible amounts of money and that would be stopped immediately. Overall you will probably be pretty happy with the way the new airline turns out eventually....it will take time though. Just be patient.
Yeah, the policy changes we are seeing already are anti-customer. Must be lead by HP management who don't have a clue about servicing elite members or running a large network to the scale of US as standalone, let alone as a combined company.

"As of August 17, 2005, unaccompanied minors will no longer be accepted on connecting flights or direct (one-stop) flights with no change of plane. Children ages 5 to 14 who are traveling as unaccompanied minors will be accepted by US Airways for travel only on nonstop flights. " If you live in Charlotte or Philadelphia a non-stop is no an issue, but what about the rest?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:08 am

[QUOTE=FCYTravis]Low-cost carrier pricing strategy doesn't mean they're going to have the cheapest fare all the time. See Southwest.QUOTE]

While I generally agree with this statement, HP used to dominate (>50%) the listing of lowest fares out of PHX according to the Sunday AZ Republic. This is no longer the case. Their fares are going up faster than their competition. While this may be necassary to remain solvent, as a consumer, I can (and have) take most of my business elsewhere.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
[QUOTE=transporter99]
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Low-cost carrier pricing strategy doesn't mean they're going to have the cheapest fare all the time. See Southwest.QUOTE]

While I generally agree with this statement, HP used to dominate (>50%) the listing of lowest fares out of PHX according to the Sunday AZ Republic. This is no longer the case. Their fares are going up faster than their competition. While this may be necassary to remain solvent, as a consumer, I can (and have) take most of my business elsewhere.
I agree. I moved to PHX a year ago and expected to become an HP Elite FF by now. However, HP's fares have been much higher than the competition. Therefore, I fly the competition! I have earned a free ticket on WN! ^
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by cargo13
Yeah, the policy changes we are seeing already are anti-customer. Must be lead by HP management who don't have a clue about servicing elite members or running a large network to the scale of US as standalone, let alone as a combined company.

"As of August 17, 2005, unaccompanied minors will no longer be accepted on connecting flights or direct (one-stop) flights with no change of plane. Children ages 5 to 14 who are traveling as unaccompanied minors will be accepted by US Airways for travel only on nonstop flights. " If you live in Charlotte or Philadelphia a non-stop is no an issue, but what about the rest?
Actually, this policy came about with HP several years ago after HP misrouted some kids. I don't remember the details, but this policy was implemented right afterward.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool Migrating from HP.

[QUOTE=transporter99]
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Low-cost carrier pricing strategy doesn't mean they're going to have the cheapest fare all the time. See Southwest.QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. HP's Blofares have gone through the roof to the point where I now check other carriers before looking at HP. $200+ for a 14-day advance fare from PHX-LAX? Pftttt!

I've flown enough PHX-LAX/SFO shorthauls on UA that I'm 1000 miles` from being elite.

I'll barely make Plat this year, and that's only because there was lot of F fare paid for by clients. I know I won't make it next year especially as it will require even more flying for top tier.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:54 pm

So this beings me back full circle to HP's self-proclaimed goal of being the largest low cost carrier following the completion of the merger next week.

Where are these low costs? The only thing HP currently offers from PHX is a large route map allowing one to travel to many destinations non-stop, but WN is adding all the time. Some of their planes are starting to get pretty ragged and need replacement.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:35 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by transporter99
The only thing HP currently offers from PHX is a large route map allowing one to travel to many destinations non-stop, but WN is adding all the time.
ROTFLMAO! If you seriously consider flying the Heifer Hauler, then why bother to post here?

I don't give a flying fornication about a few bucks here or there when the choice is sitting next to a 700# drunk or sitting in F.

Come on. Do you really fly as much as you make it out to be?
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by transporter99
So this beings me back full circle to HP's self-proclaimed goal of being the largest low cost carrier following the completion of the merger next week.

Where are these low costs? The only thing HP currently offers from PHX is a large route map allowing one to travel to many destinations non-stop, but WN is adding all the time. Some of their planes are starting to get pretty ragged and need replacement.
HA! you thought the Low Cost in Low Cost Carrier meant Low Cost to you??? No it means they will cut THEIR costs so they are low...It's a new type of Low Cost Carrier..."Keeping our costs low so we can charge you more..."

Actually I don't think they have to be the lowest or even low everywhere to be a low cost carrier. They still beat out most of the legacy airlines for my flights and some by a few hundred bucks due to my flying out of PHX. I'm flying to MSP on Oct 10th and Northwest was the cheapest of the carriers that I look at (I avoid WN) at 300 something. HP came in at 268 and change. US Airways wanted over 1000K and I forgot what our "preferred" carrier wanted but it was somewhat outrageous as well. Low cost doesn't mean the lowest cost and doesn't even mean low cost everywhere....

Lance
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by KevAZ
ROTFLMAO! If you seriously consider flying the Heifer Hauler, then why bother to post here?

I don't give a flying fornication about a few bucks here or there when the choice is sitting next to a 700# drunk or sitting in F.

Nowhere did I ever claim to say I flew WN. I avoid that airline like the plague - I hate the cattle call boarding process. My point was the HP business model is vulnerable since prices are no longer that low. If WN continues to add non-stop long haul routes from PHX, watch out. Further, I suspect WN may some day offer pre-assigned seats if competing with the new US Airways proves to be a challenge. And if that happens, looks out. As we all know, while WN does not offer FC, it is a much better operation as evidenced by the stock price, on time ratings, etc.

[/QUOTE]Come on. Do you really fly as much as you make it out to be?[/QUOTE]

I fail to see the relevance of this statement, but FWIW, I do fly a fair amount in my role in Sales and Marketing. I have already made Plat on AA, where I've taken most of my business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.