Should I go for Plat?

Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Should I go for Plat?

I started out the year all gung-ho to hit Platinum as soon as possible. Since I qualify based on segments I put a plan in place to fly two days in a row rather than stay in a hotel overnight as well as some segment runs.

As time went on I realized that international travel was much more important to me so I focused my efforts on 1K status with UA. I locked that up back in April and thought that I was set for the rest of the year as my base travel frequency would take me to platinum somethime in the fall.

I hit travel burn-out in June and fortunately didn't need to do much through the summer. Unfortunately I lost out on 3 months of flying... As the year winds down I'm back to wondering if I want Plat on HP. I'll have Gold locked in for 2006 by the middle of October and I'm now wondering if I should do a couple of segment runs to bump up into platinum.

As it stands now my longest flight on HP is PHX-PDX and I have never had trouble upgrading it. My other flights are to SAN, LAX, and SNA and I've had excellent luck with upgrades. In fact of my 50 flights to date 43 have been on upgradeable metal and of those I've been upgraded on 39... a 90.7% upgrade rate... not bad at all. Had I been a Platinum I would have likely been upgraded on all of those.

Aside from the 100% mileage bonus and the ability to nominate a Silver Elite am I missing out on something? Is it worth the extra effort? On the positive side the addition of HP to *A will give me some redemption opportunities for those extra miles...

As it stands now If I fly 1 RT every week until the end of the year I'll hit 80 segments. I can make up the remaining 10 by going home on the overnight trips. I could probably work it so that none of this comes out of my pocket, but it will cost me some time ... is it worth it?
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
I would get Plat if you can...

Originally Posted by andrewp
I started out the year all gung-ho to hit Platinum as soon as possible. Since I qualify based on segments I put a plan in place to fly two days in a row rather than stay in a hotel overnight as well as some segment runs.

As time went on I realized that international travel was much more important to me so I focused my efforts on 1K status with UA. I locked that up back in April and thought that I was set for the rest of the year as my base travel frequency would take me to platinum somethime in the fall.

I hit travel burn-out in June and fortunately didn't need to do much through the summer. Unfortunately I lost out on 3 months of flying... As the year winds down I'm back to wondering if I want Plat on HP. I'll have Gold locked in for 2006 by the middle of October and I'm now wondering if I should do a couple of segment runs to bump up into platinum.

As it stands now my longest flight on HP is PHX-PDX and I have never had trouble upgrading it. My other flights are to SAN, LAX, and SNA and I've had excellent luck with upgrades. In fact of my 50 flights to date 43 have been on upgradeable metal and of those I've been upgraded on 39... a 90.7% upgrade rate... not bad at all. Had I been a Platinum I would have likely been upgraded on all of those.

Aside from the 100% mileage bonus and the ability to nominate a Silver Elite am I missing out on something? Is it worth the extra effort? On the positive side the addition of HP to *A will give me some redemption opportunities for those extra miles...

As it stands now If I fly 1 RT every week until the end of the year I'll hit 80 segments. I can make up the remaining 10 by going home on the overnight trips. I could probably work it so that none of this comes out of my pocket, but it will cost me some time ... is it worth it?
The other consideration besides the benefits of Plat is the fact that with the merger we will probably see some more competition for "elite upgrades". The easy way to increase your segments is to take a layover in LAS on most trips. It doubles your segments, and with most of the locations you listed shouldn't drastically affect the travel time (maybe an hour or two each direction)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.