Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

HP: US and HP '05 Elite Qual. Miles will be combined for '06 status

HP: US and HP '05 Elite Qual. Miles will be combined for '06 status

Old Sep 9, 05, 10:45 pm
  #1  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,037
Exclamation HP: US and HP '05 Elite Qual. Miles will be combined for '06 status

From the Arizona Republic:

A key excerpt:

HP VP of Marketing Travis Christ . . ."did say that contrary to some reports, frequent travelers in both programs will be able to combine their miles from both airlines this year to reach special (elite) status."




Miles on fliers' minds as airline merger nears

Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 10, 2005 12:00 AM


The new paint job is fine, the US Airways name something they'll grow to accept.

What's really on the minds of America West's frequent fliers as the merger with US Airways approaches is miles.

How many will it take to get special status and all the perks it brings? How many will they need to cash in for free trips, and how soon can they use them to Europe or the Caribbean? When can they combine the miles they have in each airline's program?

Chatter about what the new frequent-flier program will look like is among the hottest topics on the America West forum at Flyertalk.com, a popular Web site for mileage junkies.

So far, the airlines have few answers. They sent a letter to frequent fliers this week confirming only this: The new program will be called Dividend Miles. That's the name of US Airways' program. America West's is called FlightFund. The programs are due to be combined in the first half of next year.

Travis Christ, vice president of marketing for America West, said specifics are due out in the next couple of weeks.

"We've put all the ingredients in and everything is still in the oven," he said.

How things shake out is a big deal for Lance Robertson. The consultant for software giant Oracle practically lives on America West, flying out of Phoenix nearly every Sunday or Monday to see clients in cities such as Minneapolis and Dallas. He has also started flying US Airways instead of other airlines to cities America West doesn't serve because mileage for both will be combined next year.

What really worries him, he says, is whether they're going to count miles from both airlines toward "elite" status for next year. . . (more here)

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Sep 9, 05 at 10:53 pm
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Sep 9, 05, 11:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mesa, AZ
Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

HP VP of Marketing Travis Christ . . ."did say that contrary to some reports, frequent travelers in both programs will be able to combine their miles from both airlines this year to reach special (elite) status."[/SIZE]
This is great news! I'm happy that they've come to this decision to combine the miles.

Lance
Robertsonland is offline  
Old Sep 10, 05, 10:15 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Posts: 1,341
Talking

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
This is great news! I'm happy that they've come to this decision to combine the miles.

Lance

If you really think of it, it should be a no-brainer. The are encouraging people to travel the other airline for destinations that their airline doesn't go to. So, to start building that usage of both airlines, it makes sense that everything counts. For me, it is great that the *Alliance flights can be credited!!
LAX1K to AmWest is offline  
Old Sep 10, 05, 11:57 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mesa, AZ
Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
If you really think of it, it should be a no-brainer. The are encouraging people to travel the other airline for destinations that their airline doesn't go to. So, to start building that usage of both airlines, it makes sense that everything counts. For me, it is great that the *Alliance flights can be credited!!
Well yes it makes sense but when you receive emails that state explicitly that EQMs will count from either one or the other for status you begin to worry about what they are thinking.

Lance
Robertsonland is offline  
Old Sep 12, 05, 6:23 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Johnstown, PA
Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 928
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Well yes it makes sense but when you receive emails that state explicitly that EQMs will count from either one or the other for status you begin to worry about what they are thinking.

Lance
I am waiting for the 'Official' email that describes this as the one I received (from US ) seemed to say that miles would NOT be combined for elite status.
kanerf is offline  
Old Sep 20, 05, 9:39 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 3,752
Anybody know if they plan to offer a "soft landing" drop level. i.e. if you don't requalify for PLT, you'll become Gold??
FlyAO2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread