FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   What's up with the fare on HP to anyplace? Outrageous (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/468048-whats-up-fare-hp-anyplace-outrageous.html)

greatam Aug 30, 2005 10:52 pm

What's up with the fare on HP to anyplace? Outrageous

I live 100 miles west of Phoenix. I sometimes fly out of Phoenix, but more often out of LAX on AA. I recently have had some trips off my normal LAX/NYC route. Trying to fly HP out of Phoenix is certainly not a low fare answer.

I am currently in Denver and may have to fly to Phoenix this weekend. I can fly AA via Dallas on a one way ticket cheaper than I can fly HP on a RT (I was going to do a throwaway). What's up with the prices? Des Moines, Denver, and NYC are trips I have recently priced on HP and they are generally at least $100-200.00 more than AA. I thought HP was trying to compete as a LCC. Not on any route I have checked recently. Comments???

wanaflyforless Aug 30, 2005 10:59 pm

Low cost carrier VS Low prive carrier

Low cost carrier = Carrier that keeps it costs down

Low price carrier = Carrier that sells cheap tickets

SWA is more expensive on 80% of the routes I fly from Chicago for advance purchase fares. Ofcourse, I fly other airlines.

formeraa Aug 30, 2005 11:43 pm

I haven't flown HP between PHX and SEA since last Christmas because their fares are TOTALLY out of line -- much higher than AS and WN! However, I guess HP is making a little money.

Insiderdude Aug 31, 2005 12:13 am

I agree - HP's pricing structure is ridiculous for some routes. Of course, then they stick you on an RJ also. Makes me just wanna hop on those fares!

ByrdluvsAWACO Aug 31, 2005 12:33 am

I gave up flying HP anywhere except PHX-SAN or LAS. Their fares are just ridiculous. I take UA going to LAX(even if it means TED) or AA going eastbound.

JenniferNAz Aug 31, 2005 1:04 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
I haven't flown HP between PHX and SEA since last Christmas because their fares are TOTALLY out of line -- much higher than AS and WN! However, I guess HP is making a little money.

I just booked my father tickets on HP SEA-PHX RT near the end of September. They were 178+ tax. AS is 262+ tax.

I am not saying HP has not had some high fares, they have, but right now I was able to get a decent price on the SEA-PHX route.

Jennifer

Joeypete Aug 31, 2005 8:59 am

The fares have gone up in general to combat the higher fuel prices. It's completely justified....they need to make money!!

From what I understand we changed our yield structure and are not discounting tickets far in advance like we used to. They said it brings in more revenue...smart if you ask me....not good for the consumer I suppose..but then again airlines are a business. :rolleyes:

Alpha Golf Aug 31, 2005 9:03 am

I just booked a $39 PHX-BUR flight on HP. Don't get much lower than that...

formeraa Aug 31, 2005 10:17 am

Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
I just booked my father tickets on HP SEA-PHX RT near the end of September. They were 178+ tax. AS is 262+ tax.

I am not saying HP has not had some high fares, they have, but right now I was able to get a decent price on the SEA-PHX route.

Jennifer

Great! I am glad that you were able to find the lower fares on HP. I always check both, but HP is always much higher on my dates of travel. ;)

JoeyPete --
Forgive me if I offended you. You will find that I am very supportive of the airline's need to make money (probably more so than most on these boards). However, I am just stating a fact that HP has been much higher (like $100-$150 more) on my dates of travel. I really do like and try to support HP as the PHX hometown airline. If the fares were $20 or $25 more, I would probably choose HP over AS or WN. However, my budget just can't justify spending $100 to $150 more.

Again, if HP can make money at those higher fares, then go right ahead!

Joeypete Aug 31, 2005 10:45 pm

No offense what so ever....it's understandable for someone to look for the lowest fare. However they stated they wanted to increase revenue and they were doing so by not matching other airline's fares like everyone else does. It apparently works and was a big reason we posted a profit last quarter. We have record load factors so it must not be having a huge affect on bookings. Luckily a lot of our routes are very high demand and will fill anyhow. When the flights fill up the lower fares disappear....our flights are incredibly full so it could mean some of the other carriers have more discounted seats left.

WebTraveler Sep 1, 2005 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I just booked a $39 PHX-BUR flight on HP. Don't get much lower than that...

This is the thing I don't understand. How can any airline make money on this fare? Basically the low S. Cal - Phoenix and Las Vegas fares are subsidized by the rest of the system.

ExtrAAordinaire Sep 1, 2005 10:29 am

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
This is the thing I don't understand. How can any airline make money on this fare? Basically the low S. Cal - Phoenix and Las Vegas fares are subsidized by the rest of the system.

That $39 o/w fare is an HP match of a WN fare.

mac5192117 Sep 1, 2005 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
That $39 o/w fare is an HP match of a WN fare.

$39.00??? PLEASE. Who are you kidding? How many seats area available at this fare? And on what days? Don't kid yourself. HP or WN aren't loosing any money here. It's called marketing. They advertise these fares then tell people all those seats are gone. This has been going on for years. I fly SNA/LAS RT every week for almost 5 years. Also to the Bay Area a few times a month. The fares have gone up every year. I usually fly at least one leg off peak and the BEST fare I have seem for over a year is 113.90 with all the taxes and fees. You will NEVER see a lower fare. And there hasn't been a "sale" in years. The walk up fare SAN/LAS can be as high as 834.00 with all taxes and fees. They are not loosing money.

SpaceCoastBill Sep 1, 2005 2:12 pm

I needed 5 tickets for the family to go round trip PHX-MCO.

AA and HP were very close in the fare amount, HP was lower.

The big benefit for us flying HP is that it is non stop and we dont have to change planes at DFW.

Dragging 3 kids thru DFW is a nightmare. We almost missed a cruise because of AA's delays at DFW.

The other big benefit for us was getting a 757 instead of getting crammed into MD80's

mac5192117 Sep 1, 2005 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by billinaz
I needed 5 tickets for the family to go round trip PHX-MCO.

AA and HP were very close in the fare amount, HP was lower.

The big benefit for us flying HP is that it is non stop and we dont have to change planes at DFW.

Dragging 3 kids thru DFW is a nightmare. We almost missed a cruise because of AA's delays at DFW.

The other big benefit for us was getting a 757 instead of getting crammed into MD80's

Well, I started this reply once and apparently lost it. So, You shouldn't be looking at non-stop vs changing planes. Look at how many flights a day the airline has to your destination. Recently, I got stuck in the Ft. Lauderdale airport for ELEVEN HOURS due to late flights and equipment problems. And HP only has one or two flights a day (can't remember now). If you think it's difficult dragging kids through an airport, I'm sure you will agree that long layovers are tough as well.

My advice. Assuming the fares are close, go with the airline that has the most flights per day to your destination.

By the way if you think MD-80's are cramped, try a Barbie Jet (RJ's) from Phoenix to Memphis, a little over three hours. It will make the MD-80 seem like a stateroom berth!!!

Safe Travels.