BA Codeshare to End 29OCT05

Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:07 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
Believe me, I share your concern. I am very cautious before posting on FT. I would never share confidential information, nor would I ever disclose information that I felt in any way would or could harm, jeopardize, or compromise the competitive position of HP/US -- be it confidential or not.

As you said, it is a bit of a balancing act deciding what, in the FT spirit of community, I am able to share, and what is best kept to myself. Whenever I am in doubt, I err on the side of caution. That said, I do sincerely appreciate your comments, and am always receptive to feedback!
I appreciate that you did not take my question/comments the wrong way. ^
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
As much as I love BA, Star Alliance will soon include Swiss and South African Airways, so I don't see how you guys are going to be missing much. South African has an award-winning First Class, just like BA does.
I seriously hope that you are JOKING about South African Airways "award-winning First Class". Nothing about SAA's service deserves any kind of award unless it's an award for BAD service.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:30 am
Original Poster

More details courtesy of BA:

America West Airlines and British Airways have confirmed that their codeshare and frequent-flyer agreements will end later this year. The mutual decision to end the partnership was seen as a necessary step as America West plans to merge with US Airways. The carriers will work together to ensure a smooth transition for their customers.

The codeshare agreement will expire October 29, and the frequent-flyer program relationship will expire December 31. British Airways and America West will work with customers and travel agents to reaccommodate passengers currently booked and ticketed on codeshare flights beyond October 29.

“The relationship with British Airways has been tremendously beneficial to America West and our customers, and we are truly grateful to British Airways,” said Travis Christ, vice president of marketing at America West Airlines.

British Airways’ general manager for alliances, Adrian Tighe said, “We would like to extend our thanks to America West for the help and support afforded to British Airways’ customers throughout our 10-year relationship.”

Important Dates
- September 6 – 20, 2005: Period for agents to rebook under America West flight number for flights operating beyond October 29.
- October 29, 2005: Last day to book and travel on a British Airways codeshare flight operated by America West.
- December 31, 2005: Last day for frequent-flyer members of one carrier to earn miles on the other carrier.
- March 1, 2006: Last day to book award travel on America West using British Airways miles, and vice versa.
- January 31, 2007: Last travel date for award travel booked on America West using British Airways miles, and vice versa.

SOURCE: ba.com
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
More details courtesy of BA:

America West Airlines and British Airways have confirmed that their codeshare and frequent-flyer agreements will end later this year. The mutual decision to end the partnership was seen as a necessary step as America West plans to merge with US Airways. The carriers will work together to ensure a smooth transition for their customers.

The codeshare agreement will expire October 29, and the frequent-flyer program relationship will expire December 31. British Airways and America West will work with customers and travel agents to reaccommodate passengers currently booked and ticketed on codeshare flights beyond October 29.

“The relationship with British Airways has been tremendously beneficial to America West and our customers, and we are truly grateful to British Airways,” said Travis Christ, vice president of marketing at America West Airlines.

British Airways’ general manager for alliances, Adrian Tighe said, “We would like to extend our thanks to America West for the help and support afforded to British Airways’ customers throughout our 10-year relationship.”

Important Dates
- September 6 – 20, 2005: Period for agents to rebook under America West flight number for flights operating beyond October 29.
- October 29, 2005: Last day to book and travel on a British Airways codeshare flight operated by America West.
- December 31, 2005: Last day for frequent-flyer members of one carrier to earn miles on the other carrier.
- March 1, 2006: Last day to book award travel on America West using British Airways miles, and vice versa.
- January 31, 2007: Last travel date for award travel booked on America West using British Airways miles, and vice versa.

SOURCE: ba.com
It seems both BA & HP have done everything possible to ensure the customers of each other are taken care of and have reasonable notice.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:50 pm

I really expected this, given the new US's *A membership and its own flights to London. Maybe we'll get lucky and the new US will start a non-stop from PHX-LON.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by formeraa
I seriously hope that you are JOKING about South African Airways "award-winning First Class". Nothing about SAA's service deserves any kind of award unless it's an award for BAD service.

No actually, it's true. SAA FIRST features the same Swiss First flat beds, but they actually come with real duvets, blankets, and sleep suits. What is more significant, SAA Business Class is considered to be among the best 3 in the world. It seems that you believe that just because it's an African airline, it has to be bad, but this is not the case of SAA at all. In fact, SAA is a solid 4-star airline. Superior 4-star arlines usually have award-winning premium classes by the way.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
No actually, it's true. SAA FIRST features the same Swiss First flat beds, but they actually come with real duvets, blankets, and sleep suits. What is more significant, SAA Business Class is considered to be among the best 3 in the world. It seems that you believe that just because it's an African airline, it has to be bad, but this is not the case of SAA at all. In fact, SAA is a solid 4-star airline. Superior 4-star arlines usually have award-winning premium classes by the way.
Actually, you are making assumptions about me! I have flown SAA business class over the past few years. It is NOT (absolutely NOT) among the 3 best in the world. I put it squarely below US carriers and that's from real, live experience. Also, the J service is HORRIBLE. The FA's disappear for hours and hours, not even offering water every couple of hours. Having been in the airline industry, it was clear that the food served out of ATL was brought in-bound from CPT (well over 24 hours old at that point). The food tasted downright old and stale.

I love South Africa as a country. In many ways, I wish it weren't so far. But SAA's service is disappointing for an international airline.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by formeraa
Actually, you are making assumptions about me! I have flown SAA business class over the past few years. It is NOT (absolutely NOT) among the 3 best in the world. I put it squarely below US carriers and that's from real, live experience. Also, the J service is HORRIBLE. The FA's disappear for hours and hours, not even offering water every couple of hours. Having been in the airline industry, it was clear that the food served out of ATL was brought in-bound from CPT (well over 24 hours old at that point). The food tasted downright old and stale.

I love South Africa as a country. In many ways, I wish it weren't so far. But SAA's service is disappointing for an international airline.

Well Skytrax and many passengers, including me, have a very different opinion of SAA. Skytrax has ranked SAA J Class 5 stars, and granted Skytrax can be subjective at times but they do take 5-star ranks very seriously. I have flown SAA from IAD to JNB in J Class on a 744 and the service was flawless, meals were quite acceptable, and the J Class full flat beds were superb. No US carrier offers a 5-star J Class at the moment. I will take my chances with SAA, thank you.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Flying J or F? I look forward to your report about their catering, or lack thereof. . .
My return to PHX was yesterday. I was in J (Club World). The catering out of LHR was, in a word, pathetic. No washbags. Economy meals with a choice of beef, chicken or pasta, all served in plastic on a tray, foil still atop your entre choice. I had the chicken and it was positively dreadful. (Goodness, I'm still talking like I'm in the UK. Drink choices consisted of: cans of beer and the individual economy wine bottles, soda, water, cofee & tea. No champagne, cocktails or fine wines. Soggy pre-arrival meal came in a pre-packaged box and was worse than the first one.

It was unbelievably bad -- and this has gone on for weeks now. I was so disgusted I can't say I'll miss BA.

enviroian, you are very lucky you're flying IAH to LGW, that service is reportedly unaffected.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for the update. Wow--that sounds absolutely horrible. You are right,my iah-lgw flight on Saturday was excellent. Full menu,champagne, starters, full bar. My only complaint was that the chicken korma wasn't too tasty, but that's probably the last thing you want to hear coming off of your experience

I am flying back out of LHR on Saturday however (through ORD) and from what I read on the BA forum I reckon my experience should be much better than yours (Sept 6th is the day things get back to some degree of normalcy it appears).

This time next year you and I will be comparing J class on UA vs US probably

How's the weather? I really don't miss 109 right now let me tell you (sunny and 74 here in Kent)

cheers!

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
My return to PHX was yesterday. I was in J (Club World). The catering out of LHR was, in a word, pathetic. No washbags. Economy meals with a choice of beef, chicken or pasta, all served in plastic on a tray, foil still atop your entre choice. I had the chicken and it was positively dreadful. (Goodness, I'm still talking like I'm in the UK. Drink choices consisted of: cans of beer and the individual economy wine bottles, soda, water, cofee & tea. No champagne, cocktails or fine wines. Soggy pre-arrival meal came in a pre-packaged box and was worse than the first one.

It was unbelievably bad -- and this has gone on for weeks now. I was so disgusted I can't say I'll miss BA.

enviroian, you are very lucky you're flying IAH to LGW, that service is reportedly unaffected.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would LH re-start FRA-PHX service now they will have a feeder airline at PHX? I wonder what BA will do without HP. LHR-PHX-SAN again?
Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by username
Would LH re-start FRA-PHX service now they will have a feeder airline at PHX? I wonder what BA will do without HP. LHR-PHX-SAN again?
If US isn't going to, I hope LH does. Having non-stop service into Europe would sure be nice. I've really grown attached to BA in this regard. Living in PHX, it is so nice getting off an 11-hour long-haul and being at home.

I've read the new US can't do any non-stop European route ex-PHX with any existing aircraft, and the current plan won't allow them to until they take delivery of the yet unbuilt A350 in something like 2012. I suppose they could change this plan at some point, but it isn't part of the current thinking.

Within Star, and considering US's European non-stop flights ex- CLT & PHL, there will be no shortage of one-stop services to just about anywhere one would want to go, given AC, LH, UA, etc.

Given their investment in the new US, I won't be at all surprised if AC beefs up PHX-YYZ (Toronto) flights to connect with their European network, in an attempt to fill the BA void.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I've read the new US can't do any non-stop European route ex-PHX with any existing aircraft, and the current plan won't allow them to until they take delivery of the yet unbuilt A350 in something like 2012. I suppose they could change this plan at some point, but it isn't part of the current thinking.

I had thought that the A333's could make the trip, can anyone verify this? The range on those is pretty far, IIRC.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I had thought that the A333's could make the trip, can anyone verify this? The range on those is pretty far, IIRC.
I found where I read this. HP reportedly said, "the earliest it will have planes capable of flying non-stop to Europe from Phoenix is 2012, when it receives its first Airbus 350s."

FYI, there's an interesting discussion about the future of BA's PHX-LHR route going on over in the BA forum.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:34 am

Thumbs up Goodbye BA... Bonjour Air Canada!

OPTION... Now that America West is part of STAR, you can fly PHX>YYZ>LHR in Executive FIRST on AIR CANADA. I would take the time to look at Air Canada's network at www.aircanada.com it offers many international routes.

Plus Air Canada's Maple Leaf Lounges are far better than UA. All drinks including premium alcohol are NO charge. Also NO-charge .. soup, salad, cheese & crackers, cashews, pretzels, coffee, tea and ice-cream!!

Air Canada named best North American Airline 2005 :-: :-: :-: :-: :-:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.