FlightFund converting to Dividend Miles...

Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by snokums925
Well said Lance. I'm sure most people agree that fly747first has always been anti-HP and his comments in this post support this. There is no need to be sarcastic with the "darling" or "voice of reason" comments.

OK, I really don't like to take sides on stupid issues like this, but fly747 isn't the only one who's been sarcastic and negative toward others in this thread!!! Snokums, I always value your comments and insight that you provide us all with, but singling 747 out as the sole source of negativity on this board is going a little too far.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Thank you for informing me that the president of HP can do whatever he pleases. And did I ever mention that I was owed anything? I'm not attacking anyone here, I'm simply pointing out the fact if someone detests US so much, then he should take his business elsewhere. And YES! How lucky we are that DL doesn't suck us down!! DL is going to suck itself down. That airline is in such a horrible position right now that I would seriously be surprised if it survived Ch11 without liquidating. I'm sorry, but DL isn't going to be sucking anyone down anytime soon.

FURTHERMORE. I've flown HP for several years now and have status with the airline. I don't solely identify myself as a "US flyer" that deserves much more than any other HP flyer.

Anyways, all these stupid little arguments we're having here are soon to become moot. We'll all become 1 in a couple of months, so I don't understand why anyone here would ever argue that their airline is better than the other and that some people are owed more than others, etc, etc. Pretty soon there's just going to be one US.

You make an excellent point.

On a more personal note, I'd say let's give it a year at most, and once HP Plats have to start flying 100K a year to maintain their status, they will no longer love the HP management so much. Then I bet it will be a whole new thread dedicated to how the management is being so unfair and not supporting former HP Elites and blah blah blah.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 5:44 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs down Parker - get a clue and hire a great Marketing Exec!

Originally Posted by trvlr64
Why are people getting riled up about this? A US Chairman's is going to be living in the northeast/east coast 99% of the while the HP Platinum is more than likely living on the west coast.

Being that I live in the northeast I highly doubt that I'm going to affect any other HP's Platinum member's ability to upgrade, unless you start a heck of a lot of flying to this side of the country.

I'm confused why people are worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet.
May I please provide you and Doug Parker's low paid Marketing staff with the simple logic that we could have given them for free if they bothered to ask us?

I have Plat status on two airlines any given year, and three airlines some years. I quit flying HP when I hit Plat status unless I've acheived the Plat level for the second airline or HP has a direct flight that better matches my schedule.

I fly AA to the East since HP hasn't had a presence where I normally travel to. Next year I am faced with sitting in coach if I go East with HP because they've chosen to segregate HP customers to a lower level and relegate us to the "back of the bus." Keep in mind that I purchase full fare F tickets for approximately 20% of my flights.

As I said here earlier this week, it appears that the inexperienced, low paid support staff in Tempe haven't a clue. Everything I hear is negative for HP customers. I've already cancelled and refunded (yes, I also purchase refundable tickets quite often) a flight to DFW and rebooked on AA. It appears that I will have to put HP squarely behind me as I did when the Village Idiot Franke was CEO.

According to all of Parker's public comments on the barbell shaped customer base, he was hoping to maintain current customers on both sides of the country and grow from there. That logic goes out the window when they have a Western customer base that flies other airlines to the East due to HP's lack of density there and they stomp on our toes the first chance they get. Why in hell should I put up with getting sent to the back of the bus next year when flying US to the East when the CEO apparently wants my business? In 2005 I've been upgraded to F approximately 90% of the time when I purchase Y tickets. Do I really want to get stuck in the back for a 3+ hr flight when I am 6'4"? Hell no!

Looks like this new merger will be known out West as the "formerly well run low fare business airline" now known as the "beast from the East."
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by KevAZ
According to all of Parker's public comments on the barbell shaped customer base, he was hoping to maintain current customers on both sides of the country and grow from there. That logic goes out the window when they have a Western customer base that flies other airlines to the East due to HP's lack of density there and they stomp on our toes the first chance they get.
it certainly does. suppose you want to go PHX-RIC. currently you take AA or DL, 1-stop via DFW or ATL. for the merger to work, you and a lot of other PHX heavy hitters have to be willing to switch and take US via CLT. there is scant incentive in the merger plan for you to do so-- for all of the reasons pointed out in the previous post.

the "barbell" business map has a stable western side and a bleeding-mercilessly eastern side. simple glue between the two is a ticket for a rocket-ride to the bottom. the first visible step, redeploying high-CASM RJ's to already high-CASM short east-coast stages, is solely a means to limit losses, not generate profits.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KevAZ
I've already cancelled and refunded (yes, I also purchase refundable tickets quite often) a flight to DFW and rebooked on AA. It appears that I will have to put HP squarely behind me as I did when the Village Idiot Franke was CEO.
So why exactly did you cancel your flight? I mean nothing has been formally announced yet as to what the plan is. So if Parker and Co. give us Plats Chairmans for 2006 which gives us an entire year to fly 100K on the new route system, why would you think you would be in the "back" more than you are now? You obviously fly alot of miles so 100K shouldn't be out of the question for you.

My company doesn't let me buy F fare or fully refundable fares if there is something cheaper available. We have to buy the lowest ticket price thankfully we get to pick the airline most of the time but cancelling filghts on the off chance you might be riding in the back of the bus next year or 2007 if they grant us chairmans status for 2006 seems a bit rash. Just my opinion mind you but no one seems to really be giving Parker and Co. a chance to succeed or screw up. They assume they are going to take the screws to everyone without really any real reason.

Now they may come down and royally screw up the airline...there's always that possibility but at least wait to see if it happens....

Lance
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
what am I missing here?

Maybe I am just confused, but I don't understand why HP elites that fly comparable miles/segments to US elites are going to get screwed here?

My flying is generally short haul, but also 90% + using fully refundable/changable fares, so I do spent a considerable amount of money with HP.

I just checked and found out that in 2003, I flew 113 segments. OK, I admit, that I won't fly 100,000 miles, but I am sure that there are many many US CP elites that qualified based on segments as well.

Based on my 2004 flying patterns, I will fly something over 120 segments.

Are people saying that us HP elites are going to get the shaft in the short run because our highest level was platinum and that theshold was 90 segments? I determined that not only does HP have our stats for 2003 flying activity, but it is easily accessible. I called Flightfund and in a matter or 30 seconds I was given this information.

Why wouldn't US and HP elites be subject to the same criteria from day one?
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
So why exactly did you cancel your flight? I mean nothing has been formally announced yet as to what the plan is. So if Parker and Co. give us Plats Chairmans for 2006 which gives us an entire year to fly 100K on the new route system, why would you think you would be in the "back" more than you are now? You obviously fly alot of miles so 100K shouldn't be out of the question for you.

My company doesn't let me buy F fare or fully refundable fares if there is something cheaper available. We have to buy the lowest ticket price thankfully we get to pick the airline most of the time but cancelling filghts on the off chance you might be riding in the back of the bus next year or 2007 if they grant us chairmans status for 2006 seems a bit rash. Just my opinion mind you but no one seems to really be giving Parker and Co. a chance to succeed or screw up. They assume they are going to take the screws to everyone without really any real reason.

Now they may come down and royally screw up the airline...there's always that possibility but at least wait to see if it happens....

Lance
Well, doesn't HP upgrade Plats based on the number of miles they have flown at the time? Even if all HP Plats are given CP status, most former US CPs will have flown more miles, thus it will be harder for former HP Plats to receive upgrades given than most CPs will actually be from the former US Airways.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Maybe I am just confused, but I don't understand why HP elites that fly comparable miles/segments to US elites are going to get screwed here?

My flying is generally short haul, but also 90% + using fully refundable/changable fares, so I do spent a considerable amount of money with HP.

I just checked and found out that in 2003, I flew 113 segments. OK, I admit, that I won't fly 100,000 miles, but I am sure that there are many many US CP elites that qualified based on segments as well.

Based on my 2004 flying patterns, I will fly something over 120 segments.

Are people saying that us HP elites are going to get the shaft in the short run because our highest level was platinum and that theshold was 90 segments? I determined that not only does HP have our stats for 2003 flying activity, but it is easily accessible. I called Flightfund and in a matter or 30 seconds I was given this information.

Why wouldn't US and HP elites be subject to the same criteria from day one?

Right, your 120 segments would fully qualify you for CP status. It's 100K miles OR 100 segments, not both.

Last edited by fly747first; Sep 4, 2005 at 11:18 pm
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:49 am

Just my opinion mind you but no one seems to really be giving Parker and Co. a chance to succeed or screw up. They assume they are going to take the screws to everyone without really any real reason.
the most important reason for fearing such action is the rising urgency now that US is in a complete financial nosedive-- cash flow from operations at negative 140 million for the month of July---all of this after an entire bankruptcy's worth of cost "restructuring". what screws are there left to tighten post-october?
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Well, doesn't HP upgrade Plats based on the number of miles they have flown at the time? Even if all HP Plats are given CP status, most former US CPs will have flown more miles, thus it will be harder for former HP Plats to receive upgrades given than most CPs will actually be from the former US Airways.
Yep as you'll see in my post on sept 3, if we use the current HP model of sorting out who gets upgraded first when they are on the same level, they base it on your rolling 12 months flying. But I'm sure that not every single US CP has flown 100K this year. Some probably rolled over some miles, some probably made it based on segments. And how many just made it based on the challenge that went around?

Lance
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:50 am

Programs: US PLT, UA 1P
I hope the name calling stops going forward on this thread. I mean really, we are talking about a frequent flyer program!

I understand how important status is, I flew 150K last year, and @ 100K for 05. AND I have taken a few UA flights where I have no status, and even the handicap guy in the wheel chair can't even get a bulkhead seat b/c he doesn't have any status.

I'm just worried that fisticuffs will break out Oct 1, between an HP Plat and a US CP when one or the other doesn't get upgraded for various reasons (like say a broken F seat ). I hope I'm there to see it too . . . I want to witness that

Let's keep the discussion on point: a la that fine gentleman who posted the hear say from the sky box . . . that is at least helpful. Anyone catch Doug Parker in the office lav?

Like my old man used to say (still says), "It is what it is."
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep as you'll see in my post on sept 3, if we use the current HP model of sorting out who gets upgraded first when they are on the same level, they base it on your rolling 12 months flying. But I'm sure that not every single US CP has flown 100K this year. Some probably rolled over some miles, some probably made it based on segments. And how many just made it based on the challenge that went around?

Lance
In that sense we won't know for sure what will happen. As a US CP and even when I was a US Gold, I never missed a single upgrade. In the past, there just weren't many CPs on most of my flights. I suppose until recently it made sense for US Airways to upgrade Preferred members within the same level based mostly on check-in time.

It's my understanding that HP has quite a significant number of Plats, so perhaps they will revise the upgrade policy within the same level.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skinkeroo

Level/miles/segments/upgrade days window:

silver... 25K 30 1
gold..... 50K 60 2
platinum. 75K 90 3
chairman. 100K 120 7

Any ideas on what *A Gold and *A Silver would be? Silver / Gold = * Silver Plat / Chairmans = * Gold?

Yes, this makes a difference with *A club access.

Last edited by US @ DEN; Sep 5, 2005 at 11:00 am
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
Any ideas on what *A Gold and *A Silver would be? Silver / Gold = * Silver Plat / Chairmans = * Gold?

Yes, this makes a difference with *A club access.

I would imagine that Gold and above would remain *Gold. I only say this because in comparison to all other member airlines, including UA, to achieve *Gold status you need only fly 50k miles/year.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
In that sense we won't know for sure what will happen. As a US CP and even when I was a US Gold, I never missed a single upgrade. In the past, there just weren't many CPs on most of my flights. I suppose until recently it made sense for US Airways to upgrade Preferred members within the same level based mostly on check-in time.

It's my understanding that HP has quite a significant number of Plats, so perhaps they will revise the upgrade policy within the same level.
I have no idea on the number of CPs for US or Plats for HP, who has more, who has more in relation to the number of available upgrades etc. but...

I hope that the new US Airways keeps the HP model of upgrades and bases it on your flying and not your check in time. I know other people who fly and have this check in time issue and all they do 24 hours ahead of time is click the check in button to see if they can yet. I think the person who flies more miles for the airline should get it over someone that flew fewer (but are on the same tier).

Lance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.