FlightFund converting to Dividend Miles...

Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Another possibility that they might be pondering is setting up yet another elite level. they could call it Chairmans as oppossed to chairmans Preferred. Easily, they could slip in this level between gold and Chairmans Preferred. this level could be 75,000 miles or 90 segments. Obviously that would upset HP plats, me being one of them, but it would be a way for HP to say we are not taking away anything that was promised to you. Just another one of the many things that could be under considering.

I can't see taking away the qualification by segments. That seems to be pretty standard with all of the programs now, doesn't it? I hope so! I will have 120 segments plus by the end of the year, but my travel is 90% short haul.

I wish that we knew already....the waiting is horrible!

Old Sep 1, 2005, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Another possibility that they might be pondering is setting up yet another elite level. they could call it Chairmans as oppossed to chairmans Preferred. Easily, they could slip in this level between gold and Chairmans Preferred. this level could be 75,000 miles or 90 segments. Obviously that would upset HP plats, me being one of them, but it would be a way for HP to say we are not taking away anything that was promised to you. Just another one of the many things that could be under considering.

I can't see taking away the qualification by segments. That seems to be pretty standard with all of the programs now, doesn't it? I hope so! I will have 120 segments plus by the end of the year, but my travel is 90% short haul.

I wish that we knew already....the waiting is horrible!

Your idea is not bad but I think it would make it very confusing, i.e. imagine having Silver Preferred, Gold Preferred, Chairmans, and Chairmans Preferred. I think it would be better if it consisted of: Silver Preferred, Gold Preferred, Platinum Preferred, and Chairmans Preferred. I would stay away from calling a fourth level Chairmans if there was another tier level that was called Chairman's Preferred simply because Star Alliance partners, especially United, refer to US Airways Chairmans Preferred as "US Chairman" or US CHMN as it shows on UA boarding passes. Next thing you know, UA agents are messing up our day of departure upgrade priority... rumor has it UA agents have been upgrading US CPs right after 1Ks on the day of departure.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hi guys. The "FlightFund" program is adding a 4th level called Chairmans. Qualification is 100k miles or 100 segments. This has ALREADY HAPPENED on the database, but the changes to the customer will appear on the day the formal merger announcement is made (somewhere around October 1st.) There are no immediate plans to combine DM accounts with FF accounts - this will happen, but it is not a focus item for the 10/1 date. From what i have heard, no new cards/numbers will be issued to replace FlightFund cards right away. There are a couple thousand account numbers that exist in both the US and HP system, so eventually, i would expect those members to have their numbers reissued, but no new cards will be issued until the new program year. Looking at next year, there will be "at least" 4 elite levels, but the talk right now is to add a 5th level (below Silver). That may or may not happen, based on other priorities.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, United 1K, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingtool
Hi guys. The "FlightFund" program is adding a 4th level called Chairmans. Qualification is 100k miles or 100 segments. This has ALREADY HAPPENED on the database, but the changes to the customer will appear on the day the formal merger announcement is made (somewhere around October 1st.) There are no immediate plans to combine DM accounts with FF accounts - this will happen, but it is not a focus item for the 10/1 date. From what i have heard, no new cards/numbers will be issued to replace FlightFund cards right away. There are a couple thousand account numbers that exist in both the US and HP system, so eventually, i would expect those members to have their numbers reissued, but no new cards will be issued until the new program year. Looking at next year, there will be "at least" 4 elite levels, but the talk right now is to add a 5th level (below Silver). That may or may not happen, based on other priorities.
IS this what US Chairmans Preferred will become?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:41 pm

Looking at next year, there will be "at least" 4 elite levels, but the talk right now is to add a 5th level (below Silver). That may or may not happen, based on other priorities.
FIVE elite levels? while I can see the logic leading to it, it doesn't seem in keeping with a "simple" LCC business plan.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Angry Un-Fing-believable

Four levels? Based on what you're saying, one can presume that the third level will be where HP plats fall in at 75k miles flown, while US CP's will be in the fourth level.

So this means that HP Plats are being placed below US' top tier. Now I not only have to compete with hoardes of US roaches for upgrades, but now I'm below them in the upgrade window.

This would also seem to indicate that the Silver/Gold level elite bonuses on the US side will be reduced to 25/50%. I can't see HP giving 100% bonues to Gold, Plat, and CP. Unless HP plans on bringing back the 125% bonus for top tier elites, there are going to be some pissed off Silvers and Golds.

Yet another smooth move by HP.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Sep 2, 2005 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:29 pm

Programs: US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
yes, in my opinion, HP members are getting screwed....

IF you are a HP Platinum and IF you put in 100k or 100 segs this year, you will be "Chairmans" next year. Of course, this isn't public yet, and when it becomes public around 10/1, you'll have a whopping 2 months left to qualify. I haven't heard if they are going to make any exceptions or not, but my guess is they will.

As far as a 5th elite level, it makes more "elite members"...The last i heard, it was going to be for 15k miles or 18 or so segments, but that was several months ago. And yes, teh 5th level plan was in the works long before US came along.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
From Reading The US

I can't find the thread, but I read that most years, US has done some sort of program where, if you're already an elite, sometime in Feb. they send out a note along the lines of "since you reached silver, gold, etc on such and so date last year, we'll count all the miles you flew after you achieved that status towards your eqm for this year."

This would be cool for a lot of reasons, but obviously it would soften the blow to HP Plats that hit 75K in like September, but ended the year at like 91K. That's a 16K jump start on the new year...
Old Sep 2, 2005, 4:47 pm

I figured that a 4th elite status would be added. Looking at the two programs and how they matched up in terms on segments and miles required, this seemed like the logical move.

It seems like our real potential disadvantage is that on day 1, there are all these folks that are US Chairmans Preferred that are at the top tier while Plats that may have flown 100+ segments or flew 100,000 miles in 2004 will probably still be recognized at "only" plats for the balance of the program year unless HP's computers could be programed to "upgrade" elite status to the new top level.

Does anybody around here from HP know if anybody intends to do the necessary programming to put HP plats on equal footing with US from day 1?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by mallthus
I can't find the thread, but I read that most years, US has done some sort of program where, if you're already an elite, sometime in Feb. they send out a note along the lines of "since you reached silver, gold, etc on such and so date last year, we'll count all the miles you flew after you achieved that status towards your eqm for this year."
US had done this the past few years; however, only for Chairmans Preferred. All miles over 100K and all segments over 100 would "rollover" to the following year. This is usually announced in October to keep CPs from jumping to another airline over the last 1/4. AFAIK -- they've never offered a "rollover" to Silvers and Golds.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:23 pm

Just for kicks, I called FlightFund to see how fast they would be able to determine how many miles I flew in 2004. I was amazed that they had the info right at their fingertips.

to mean that means that the HP flightfund computers could indeed "reclassify" those with more than 100,000 miles in 2004 to the purported new higher level.

Oh well, guess time will tell what is going to happen.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
US Chairman's & HP Platinum

Why are people getting riled up about this? A US Chairman's is going to be living in the northeast/east coast 99% of the while the HP Platinum is more than likely living on the west coast.

Being that I live in the northeast I highly doubt that I'm going to affect any other HP's Platinum member's ability to upgrade, unless you start a heck of a lot of flying to this side of the country.

I'm confused why people are worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr64
Being that I live in the northeast I highly doubt that I'm going to affect any other HP's Platinum member's ability to upgrade, unless you start a heck of a lot of flying to this side of the country.
if they *don't* capture such flying, the new "synergy" business plan is doomed...
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Why is this such a big deal? I mean, the new US Airways is gonna have by far more Elites from the old US Airways than from America West. I think it is only fair that those of us who have been flying 100,000 miles or more a year be granted the highest status. I hope all you HP Plats didn't think that they were gonna give away complimentary transatlantic upgrade certificates to that many Elites.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:01 pm

Just because US has more planes and flies more routes doesn't mean that those of us on the west side of the country don't fly just as much as you do. It's going to be one airline, and yes, I would expect that we would get the same rewards that you get including those transatlantic upgrade opportunities. Just because we are called platinums doesn't mean that we fly the minimum to qualify.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.