So it's official

Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
So it's official

I'm sure y'all may already know this, but flying back PHX-SAN tonight HP FA's played a video on-board outlining updates for the merger. The new US Airways will be a full member of Star Alliance, and they even referenced the fact that your Flightfund miles can be used to over "x" number of cities around the world on any US or *A partners.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Question Or is it?

I've seen that video a few times myself now. Clearly HP is making the statement that the new US will be part of Star. However, in an employee Q&A just this past week, management seems to indicate that this is not a done deal.
Q. Does the new US Airways have to re-apply to be a Star Alliance Member? When the merger is official does the company have an obligation to stay in the Star Alliance and code share with United? How much money each year does the Star Alliance mean for US Airways?

A. US Airways is currently a Star Alliance member, including reciprocal frequent flyer programs with 15 airlines around the world. The continued participation in the Star Alliance is dependent upon the domestic code-share relationship with United Airlines. The combined airline’s membership would need to be approved by United as a modification to the terms of the United/US Airways code-share agreement for the purpose of being a member of the Star Alliance. Although we haven’t started discussions with United regarding the Star Alliance we are hopeful that they will see a code-share agreement as beneficial to both companies. As for US Airways’ monetary benefit from being a part of the Star Alliance, we’re not privy to that financial information yet.
I think it is very odd that they'd be trumpeting Star membership before even opening discussions with the player that will make the decision.

I would assume this to mean that while they haven't officially started discussions with United regarding the code-share and Star, they have enough of an unofficial indication to be comfortable that it will happen.

With an issue of this significance, why do you suppose they haven't yet started discussions?
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I hope they do get into *A. It would be nice to get PPS sectors and HP/US miles on SQ flights instead of UA miles.

For all you denizens of the valley of the sun, imagine having Singapore Air as your partner to Asia, NZ and Oz. Rather a step up from the "partnership" with NW!
Old Aug 28, 2005, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I too find this odd. I've seen this video now four times since Wednesday and am quite sick of it! I can only imagine how sick of this video the flight attendants must be.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Yeah, but we take a step down in losing BA & VS to Europe. LH is ok, but I'm not fond of them.

Let's be real, securing F/J awards on SQ using US miles isn't going to be a walk in the park. We'd be competing with SQ PPS elite members(who get first crack at awards), the massive amount of *A FF members, VS, DL, and MX FF members.

If UA pulls the plug, I can't say that I'd be crying over the issue. I like flying in VS' UC cabin.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:04 pm

Of course, US itself has flights to Europe via CLT and PHL. It would be nice if they added a PHX-LGW flight. The BA flight is always full.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I personally think if UA has a problem with HP/US joining *, OneWorld would be happy to have HP/US. Probably not Skyteam since CO might still have a problem with HP/US.

Since AC invested money in this, I would think the chance of HP/US in * is pretty high.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:05 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by username
I personally think if UA has a problem with HP/US joining *, OneWorld would be happy to have HP/US.
While I would jump for joy if this happened, I seriously doubt it would. AA wants N. America for itself and isn't willing to share.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I think it is very odd that they'd be trumpeting Star membership before even opening discussions with the player that will make the decision.

I would assume this to mean that while they haven't officially started discussions with United regarding the code-share and Star, they have enough of an unofficial indication to be comfortable that it will happen.

With an issue of this significance, why do you suppose they haven't yet started discussions?

I agree this does seem odd. I have trust in Doug Parker but this really causes me some pause. If they are telling all of the customers very publicly that something is going to happen that they have not even negotiated yet what else might they be telling us that they really don't know about yet?

Does this mean we really won't be able to combine our US and HP miles? Are there other things we have been told that will change?

I sure hope not!

Jennifer
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
No video yesterday...

I just flew yesterday (PHX-ORD) and there was no video. I'll look for it again on the way back Wednesday, but could we see this as a glitch or as a sign that there's been a speed-bump in some aspect of what's presented in the video?

I'm probably freaking for no reason. No Star membership probably opens up membership in one of the other alliances (probably not SkyTeam, since they're already too US centered).
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
While I would jump for joy if this happened, I seriously doubt it would. AA wants N. America for itself and isn't willing to share.
Although AA did fight tooth-and-nail to keep CP from being swallowed-up by AC.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:07 pm

Question Who is that?

Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
CP?
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
CP?
The old Canadian Pacific, which became Canadian Airlines International, which AC bought.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
But that was because AA and SABRE had a services contract with CP that was worth tens of millions of dollars per year.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Ahh - the good 'ole days of CP - definitely what it meant to fly first-class.

I do hope HP is in *A - although the pool of elites may dilute upgrades et al., at least there are many more options around the world to earn EQMs. Not to mention also, cross benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.