The future PHX.

Old Aug 21, 05, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Exclamation The future PHX.

I'm not sure if it's been posted here, but I received this in an email from Sky Harbor. Here's whats in store for PHX(I believe starting in 2006).
  • Demolition of Terminal 2.
  • Construction of a new 33-gate terminal immediately north and to the east of the old Terminal 2.
  • Construction of an airport people-mover to the already planned rental-car center, as well as another people-mover to link with the Valley's light-rail system
  • A rerouting of Sky Harbor Boulevard.
  • Construction of two new cross-airfield taxiways that will shorten the on-land travel distance for aircraft.
Old Aug 21, 05, 5:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
. . . Here's whats in store for PHX(I believe starting in 2006).
  • Construction of an airport people-mover to the already planned rental-car center, as well as another people-mover to link with the Valley's light-rail system
Presumably the people-mover will also move people from terminal to terminal, in addition to the rental car center. I hope so; that would be a major improvement.

What they really need to do is build an air conditioned people mover to the remote parking areas. That would dramatically reduce the current terminal parking problem. (See this related article in Saturday's Arizona Republic.)
Old Aug 21, 05, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just hope they don't change the format of the T2 garage, I love that $5 a day parking on level 2.
Old Aug 21, 05, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
I just hope they don't change the format of the T2 garage, I love that $5 a day parking on level 2.
parking fees are going up.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...arborpark.html
Old Aug 22, 05, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
LOL

of course, it would be ironic to raze the old terminal, replace it with a bigger one, then leave the old small garage in place.
Old Aug 22, 05, 9:25 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
I don't mind paying $1 per day extra, IF the money goes toward building more parking garages!
Old Aug 22, 05, 1:02 pm

Sorry, the current T2 garage and the long-term parking on the old T1 site will be demolished as part of the project. The new terminal will be to the west of the existing T2 (the news article was wrong). Like T3 and T4, it will have gates on both sides of the airport. T2 has gates only on the south side.

There's a draft environmental impact statement on Sky Harbor's web site. The Executive Summary (PDF) has some diagrams showing the changes.
Old Aug 23, 05, 11:46 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
TSA Procedures and UAL Killed T2's Best Feature

I used to fly in and out of PHX every day, almost always T2 back then in 2000 & 2001. I loved the cheap top floor parking; I could drop in 30 minutes before the flight, arrive at the gate just in time for elite boarding and spend <10 minutes at the airport.

Post 9/11 I've cut my flights back to once per week or even every other week. I swore off UAL due to abyssmal service and a return of great HP service. So back I went to Smart Park who I used every day prior to 2000 when I was flying HP. The light rail runs straight through their lot, so they are closing in Sept. They were the fastest into the airport and usually fastest back to your vehicle. I am really going to miss them. I parked at the airport in the all day lots once; never again! My time is too valuable to waste with that mess.

I have to laugh about light rail - the speed of it means that if you are coming from anywhere outside of a mile away from PHX, your ride to the airport will be longer than your flight!

So unless I find a better off airport parking solution, I will find more reasons to tele and videoconference from my home office.

I know plenty of people in the same situation and it's really hurt the airlines as they have to drop rates to capture tourist traffic lost to daily business traffic that never came back.
Old Aug 23, 05, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question No car, no parking.

What's the cost of parking at those economy lots? I don't have a car so I don't pay attention.
Old Aug 23, 05, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, MH Gold, SPG Platinum
What's the cost of parking at those economy lots? I don't have a car so I don't pay attention.
IIRC it is $5/day. I always park in T4 because it is far cheaper than a car service back and forth from my house in Anthem (~$75 each way). I usually fly on Sunday nights and have never had a problem finding parking. It is usually right by the door on level 8. $16/day is well worth it or at least my clients seem to think it is acceptable.
Old Aug 23, 05, 1:33 pm

And offsites range from $6-8/day without coupons or corp discounts.
Old Aug 24, 05, 1:22 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I use Preflight parking as they offer a "covered' parking and with coupon it is $7 per day. After $125 in spending they give you 500 FF miles to HP and after so many days you get a coupon for 5 free uncovered parking days or a credit towards covered parking. They are sometimes right there when I get home other times I wait ~5 minutes. I've been very happy with them.

Lance
Old Aug 24, 05, 12:47 pm

So Long Old Friend! Smart Park Closing Down

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
I use Preflight parking as they offer a "covered' parking and with coupon it is $7 per day. After $125 in spending they give you 500 FF miles to HP and after so many days you get a coupon for 5 free uncovered parking days or a credit towards covered parking. They are sometimes right there when I get home other times I wait ~5 minutes. I've been very happy with them.Lance
Lance, I gave them a try a couple of times when SmartPark was full. My only problem with them and the others is that their lots are so big it takes forever to navigate through to my vehicle. Perhaps it is just my luck, but I always seemed to be the next to last or last on the bus and it took 5 minutes to offload the other customers. The longest I've waited at Smart Park is 2 minutes and that was 1 or 2 times in the past 12 yrs. I am really going to miss Smart Park!
Old Aug 25, 05, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Lance, I gave them a try a couple of times when SmartPark was full. My only problem with them and the others is that their lots are so big it takes forever to navigate through to my vehicle. Perhaps it is just my luck, but I always seemed to be the next to last or last on the bus and it took 5 minutes to offload the other customers. The longest I've waited at Smart Park is 2 minutes and that was 1 or 2 times in the past 12 yrs. I am really going to miss Smart Park!
Wow really? it may just be the time that I go or parking in covered but in all the times I've gone I've waited maybe 5 minutes for the bus in the parking lot. Most times they are waiting for me to get out of my car but that is on monday morning and sunday evening. Monday morning is a bit longer of a wait at times depending on the time I leave. I have never used smart park but I do agree they come along quite often. It seems they have a stream of vans picking up when I get to the curb.

Lance

Search this Thread