FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   No Exit Row Seat for you! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/464455-no-exit-row-seat-you.html)

enviroian Aug 19, 2005 1:11 pm

No Exit Row Seat for you!

Just flew back on a HPEX jungle jet from BOI. I was in 16D, reclining exit row. The row in front of me, 15, was also full. When the anklet clad FA came to us to explain the duties of sitting in said seats, she went through with the usual "I need a verbal yes from all of you" Well, we all did, and then the FA asked us to take our the instructional cards from the seatpocket in front of us and asks us to "review them please, failure to do so will find yourself looking for another vacant seat" Well, at first I thought it was some just FA antics ala WN, but when I realized she was looking directly at the man seated in front of me who wasn't reading his instructional card, only his newspaper, he doesn't understand what or why she is saying what she is.

She made him move to the back! :eek:

Chuckles Aug 19, 2005 3:36 pm

I was on the RJ to GDL this summer, in 16A, and the FA read the same riot act to us. Demanded each of us to look her in the eye and answer 'YES' to her. The guy in front of me did not speak English, so he was moved elsewhere. Is this only an RJ thing? I never saw this occur before.

trvlr64 Aug 19, 2005 3:50 pm

It's actually happened to me on UA flights over the last 2 years. Some are more militant about it and others take a lighthearted approach.

Curious, which EXPRESS division was this? MESA? or another.

Chuckles Aug 20, 2005 8:39 am

Originally Posted by trvlr64
Curious, which EXPRESS division was this? MESA? or another.

MESA for me.

mymflyer Aug 20, 2005 6:31 pm

Better listen to the flight attendents when they are talking to you :)

username Aug 20, 2005 6:45 pm

Since I am Asian, I am always very tempted to say "me no speak no English" after the flight attendants give the briefing. It is really a safety matter that has to be taken seriously so I never worked up the guts to do it.

Imagine if someone who does not understand English fails to help with a proper evacuation and causes people to be trapped in a burning aircraft!

I think it is great when flight attendants strictly enforce safety related rules. Usually, I have a problem with them not doing it.

rec Aug 21, 2005 1:35 am

My favorite exit row briefing story happened on UA.

One of the FAs was smart. In the exit rows, they took the safety cards and wedged them in the headrest so they were sticking up as clear as day.

When one of the passengers sat down and left the safety card up, the FA gave them the spiel that they did not read the safety card and the requirements to sit in the exit row. After a review, they were allowed to stay there.

TopGun Aug 23, 2005 6:22 am

Hmmm, having flown in exit row seats so often I usually never look at the card anymore. I've never really been pressed on it either.