Sorry we need to borrow your plane

Old Aug 15, 05, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Sorry we need to borrow your plane

I'm heading to MSP today and the flight was scheduled to leave at 12:13 pm. The flight is a continuation of flight 751 out of San Jose. I got to the airport early as I had to get out of the house. I walked up and looked at the monitors at 10am and the flight wasn't listed. I called FF Plat line and talked with a lady there who told me the Flight was on ATC and would depart at 2:15p. She said there were "storms" in the area. I looked out the windows by A26 and there isn't a storm within visibility range so I asked her what storms. She went to investigate and came back to tell me that we were "getting" a plane from JFK that was late in departing due to weather and an ATC hold and that's why we were late. Our aircraft that we originally were scheduled on was being taken from the MSP flight to go to Atlanta that left out of our gate 30 minutes prior to what we were supposed to.

So my question is what makes them decide to make the MSP flight 2 hours + late and not the flight the plane was originally scheduled for? I've not had this happen except for a Mechanical reason before. Never just because they had a late arriving plane and decided to make an ontime flight late and another flight that would have been late ontime.

I did notice the Atlanta flight has a better on time percentage (70%) than my MSP flight (50%).

Anyway, I know the only reason they did it is they knew I had to get to MSP before 6pm and it's personally against me. Any info on how they make this decision would be appreciated.

Lance
Old Aug 15, 05, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Did you try, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??" That most assuredly would have worked.

Seriously, that's a drag. No idea why they'd do that. Perhaps Parker is on his way to Atlanta this morning?
Old Aug 15, 05, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Did you try, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??" That most assuredly would have worked.

Seriously, that's a drag. No idea why they'd do that. Perhaps Parker is on his way to Atlanta this morning?
I thought of that...I was going to try it right after I dropped my carryons and rolled around on the floor screaming "IT'S NOT FAIR". So I just popped for a day pass to the club instead (They wouldn't even comp me a day pass although they did try) and I'll spend the day sitting in here in relative comfort. Still wish they would have comped me for a pass but oh well....

Lance
Old Aug 15, 05, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

One other question...I'm in the Upper A gates club. I was told this is the smallest. Is the lower A Gates club a better idea to sit for a long time?

Lance
Old Aug 15, 05, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
One other question...I'm in the Upper A gates club. I was told this is the smallest. Is the lower A Gates club a better idea to sit for a long time?

Lance
No question -- the lower A club is much larger. If it were me, I'd head over to that one. (The view is better, too.) The club in the high A concourse gets too crowded and noisy for me.
Old Aug 15, 05, 12:26 pm

They look at a number of factors when switching planes. Routing is very important, loads and crews are another issue. They really do know what they are doing and always make a decision to benefit as many people as possible. Sometimes you're just not that lucky person I guess...hehe.
Old Aug 15, 05, 1:07 pm

Had that happen to me back at the old CMH hub. Saw my MDW flight was on time. LGA flight was delayed a few hours. Waiting at my gate for the plane. Plane pulls up. Pax get off... Then flight switched to the gate the LGA was at. And LGA is now leaving from our old gate. And we got the rest of LGA's delay. Ugh. They looked to be fairly full, and our flight was only about 60% full, so I think that may have been a big factor. They were also scheduled to leave before our flight, so balancing the delay may have also been a factor.
Old Aug 15, 05, 3:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Joeypete
They look at a number of factors when switching planes. Routing is very important, loads and crews are another issue. They really do know what they are doing and always make a decision to benefit as many people as possible. Sometimes you're just not that lucky person I guess...hehe.
Exactly! Also, just because a flight has the same flight number does NOT mean that it is scheduled to operate the second leg. Many times, this is due to a maintenance issue (need to do required servicing on the plane). Airlines are scheduling fewer "direct" flights these days, but it used to be a 50/50 proposition on whether they would use the same aircraft on the second leg of a flight.

While in college, I used many direct flights from BOS to SEA (via ORD). About half the time, we would arrive at gate B1 and the second leg of the flight would leave from C35 (and these flights were ONTIME).
Old Aug 16, 05, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
Exactly! Also, just because a flight has the same flight number does NOT mean that it is scheduled to operate the second leg. Many times, this is due to a maintenance issue (need to do required servicing on the plane). Airlines are scheduling fewer "direct" flights these days, but it used to be a 50/50 proposition on whether they would use the same aircraft on the second leg of a flight.

While in college, I used many direct flights from BOS to SEA (via ORD). About half the time, we would arrive at gate B1 and the second leg of the flight would leave from C35 (and these flights were ONTIME).
Yes I understand that alot of times they switch out aircraft for MX reason and even just switching aircraft but this was scheduled to be our aircraft from all I was told from the Platinum line and Passenger Assistance.

Lance
Old Aug 17, 05, 3:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Yes I understand that alot of times they switch out aircraft for MX reason and even just switching aircraft but this was scheduled to be our aircraft from all I was told from the Platinum line and Passenger Assistance.

Lance
OK, I was just pointing out the airline's perspective.

As a passenger, I agree with you. However, the airline has to look at the big picture. In some cases, if they don't send a plane to a certain city by a certain time, then the early am flight will be delayed due to lack of crew rest. It's actually pretty easy to look at the monitors and figure out when they've made a switch.
Old Aug 21, 05, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This used to happen to me a lot when I flew USAir out of LGA in the late 90's. I was often going to Greensboro (GSO) which had regularly scheduled 737-400's that were often booked at 30% of capacity or less. So if a more full flight to say Orlando went mechanical, they yanked our aircraft figuring it would be far easier to rebook 40 odd people instead of 120.
Old Aug 22, 05, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
This used to happen to me a lot when I flew USAir out of LGA in the late 90's. I was often going to Greensboro (GSO) which had regularly scheduled 737-400's that were often booked at 30% of capacity or less. So if a more full flight to say Orlando went mechanical, they yanked our aircraft figuring it would be far easier to rebook 40 odd people instead of 120.
The two flights in this scenario were both full loads. In fact they were talking about asking for volunteers on our flight to move to another flight. So it wasn't like we had 10 people going to MSP. It was only two hours so it wasn't that big of a deal. Just an annoyance.

Lance
Old Aug 23, 05, 11:02 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Not as bad as "Village Idiot" Incident

When I read the title of this thread, I thought "uh oh, is Franke back?"

Remember when they pulled a flight back to Texas because they needed to get the Diamondbacks home? A customer wrote a letter to Franke titled "Dear Village Idiot" and the AZ Republic printed it. I was ROTFLMAO that morning as I had dropped HP due to poor service a few months before.

Sorry that you got stuck, but happy that there was some semblance of logic to why they did it.

Search this Thread