Peek at the new airport and in-flight video

Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
AZ Republic article on video on merger prep

In today's Arizona Republic. Not a lot new, but a little more detail on some of the prep going on behind the scenes.

AmWest debuts in-flight video on merger
Fasten your seat belts for primer

Starting today, passengers on America West and US Airways flights won't get just the standard "put your tray table up and stow any carry-on items you may have taken out" announcement as the plane starts its descent.

They'll also get a video primer on the upcoming merger between the two airlines. With the megadeal expected to close in the next six to eight weeks, the airlines have to start prepping customers now to avoid confusion and a chaotic start to the high-profile marriage.

That is especially important in America West's hubs of Phoenix and Las Vegas as the carrier's name will go away overnight after the deal closes, replaced by US Airways. America West and its America West Express commuter operation handle nearly one-half of the passenger traffic at Sky Harbor International Airport.

"We're working really hard to communicate to people in advance," said Travis Christ, America West's vice president of marketing.

The seven-minute video reminds customers and tells those who haven't heard - the merger was announced in May and has been in the headlines repeatedly since - that America West and US Airways are combining to become what the companies are calling the nation's largest low-fare, full-service airline.

Goodbye to name

"We've grown a lot over the years, becoming the nation's eighth-largest airline," America West flight attendant turned narrator Natalie Wiltz says, "but nothing compares to the growth we are about to experience as we merge with US Airways."

The new US Airways, which will be based at America West's headquarters in Tempe, will have nearly $10 million in annual revenue. That compares with about $2 billion for America West. . . more here. . . (Oops, $10 million, $10 billion, what's a few zeros? )
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
Who says you can't have a *A carrier and a OW carrier as partners. US Airways currently code shares with Qantas and Qantas is with OW. But that was in place well before either joined their current alliances either.

You never know what might be worked out.

Does US actually codeshare with Qantas? I thought it was just a frequent flyer relationship.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:49 pm

Programs: US1
You are right. They do not code share. It is just an FF relationship where you can earn and burn miles on both carriers. I hope it continues.

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Does US actually codeshare with Qantas? I thought it was just a frequent flyer relationship.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
AMEX Membership rewards

So, is it time to move membership rewards miles to USAir account? Might we expect the new carrier to remain a member of AMEX's program?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw it on my flight back to PHX Friday. Pretty sad that in a year or two, the AWA name will be gone. I just hope that the merger does not ruin an airline that has finally turned good after all these years.

FA told me that there are two separate operating certificates so integration will really not happen that quickly. I wonder how this all means as far as flight number changing to US, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Would be great to see more nonstop service to Europe, but keep in mind...

Denver, UAs hub, has no non-stop service to any transoceanic destination...even as a center of oil/gas activity. But then, Phoenix/Scottsdale is much larger, and Pittsburgh had nonstops w/ US until recently.
DEN does have TA non stop service to FRA with LH and to LHR with BA. I believe UA runs service non stop to Hawaii as well.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by username
Saw it on my flight back to PHX Friday. Pretty sad that in a year or two, the AWA name will be gone. I just hope that the merger does not ruin an airline that has finally turned good after all these years.

FA told me that there are two separate operating certificates so integration will really not happen that quickly. I wonder how this all means as far as flight number changing to US, etc.

Expect the AWA name to be gone in a few months. The name plates on current aircraft are decals and will lilkely be replaced very quickly.

Also, for the posters looking for transatlantic services from PHX. Air Canada will begin operating PHX-YYC daily that is timed for connections to YYC-LHR and YYC-FRA. This opens up a few options. Also, LH codeshares on the YYC-FRA run, so I imagine if the connection service is profitable then PHX will become an LH destination. Also look to the PHX-DEN-FRA possibilities.

I have been searching the AWA forum but couldn't find an answer to my question. When will the AWA code disapear from the route system? Alternately will US codes be on all former AWA flights? AWA serves YYC (Calgary) and YEG (Edmonton) through LAX, LAS, and PHX; I would like to start earning Aeroplan miles through the US codeshare.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
When will the AWA code disapear from the route system? Alternately will US codes be on all former AWA flights? AWA serves YYC (Calgary) and YEG (Edmonton) through LAX, LAS, and PHX; I would like to start earning Aeroplan miles through the US codeshare.
The HP code will disappear once the operating certificates are merged. And yes, as of October 1 (or thereabouts), US will be placing its code on all HP flights.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: HP Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In today's Arizona Republic. Not a lot new, but a little more detail on some of the prep going on behind the scenes.
Saw the video on a flight this morning. The commercial with the mosh pit parody of WN is one of the best pieces of advertising I've seen. It's a shame they stopped using it.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Phobank
Saw the video on a flight this morning. The commercial with the mosh pit parody of WN is one of the best pieces of advertising I've seen. It's a shame they stopped using it.

I completely agree! I love that ad. I'm also a huge fan of the "every flight counts" campaign- those commericals had a very professional air to them. IMO, I think they were better than the "get on board" ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.