New Livery Unveiling

Old Aug 12, 05, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HP/US
New Livery Unveiling

OK, the answer to everyones question--the new HP/US livery will be unveiled on August 23rd.
Events are scheduled in Philadelphia (7 a.m.), Pittsburgh (9:30 a.m.), Charlotte (12:30 p.m.), Las Vegas (3:45 p.m.), and Phoenix (6:30 p.m.). All times are local.
Employees are invited to join Chairman, President and CEO Doug Parker, and President and CEO Bruce Lakefield as the first mainline plane with the new look, an Airbus A320, makes its inaugural tour.
Old Aug 12, 05, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
I was told about this yesterday by a friend who said it was all hush hush but here's a synopsis of what he said since apparently its out in the open now

Basically, it is based on an inverted version of the old scheme, with dark blue font for the logo (the current US logo) over a pearl white body. Not sure whether the belly will be dark or not, but there's also going to be some sort of stylized swooshy element in a slightly different shade of blue.

Also, the CEO says he knows liveries are not very exciting to pax but that they are very important to employees so he is taking the look and feel of the new airline very seriously. So they are going to design a little logo that will go near the front of each plane (maybe where the "name" of the plane is on some airlines) that will be a sort of circle divided into four sections. Each section will have a logo of one of the four cultures that makes up the new US Airways: America West, PSA, Piedmont, and Allegheny.
Old Aug 12, 05, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
Originally Posted by snokums925
OK, the answer to everyones question--the new HP/US livery will be unveiled on August 23rd.
Events are scheduled in Philadelphia (7 a.m.), Pittsburgh (9:30 a.m.), Charlotte (12:30 p.m.), Las Vegas (3:45 p.m.), and Phoenix (6:30 p.m.). All times are local.
Employees are invited to join Chairman, President and CEO Doug Parker, and President and CEO Bruce Lakefield as the first mainline plane with the new look, an Airbus A320, makes its inaugural tour.
I'll be at McCarran on the 23rd right around that time... any way to find out where they're doing the unveiling so I can snap a picture or two?
Old Aug 12, 05, 8:53 pm

A couple of links from the US Airways board:

Internal corporate announcement of livery event
http://www.justplanenews.com/PDF/Liv...r_US_color.pdf

Independent guesstimate of new livery
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ushplivery.jpg

If you look carefully at the peek behind the curtain in the corporate announcement, you can see the legacy US Air blue belly and red stripe, but with the top 2/3ds in off-white, with AWA southwest effects in dark grey.

Now, look at the independent guesstimate, and it looks pretty darn close to what that would be on a full plane.

Really looking forward to seeing the special legacy logo w/ PSA/Piedmont/Allegheny/AWA. I can just see the smiling PSA noseface icon. Nice recognition of the US employees who regularly painted smiles on their aircraft after the merger.
Old Aug 12, 05, 10:10 pm

Interesting! Sounds similar to what my friend described.
Old Aug 13, 05, 5:06 pm

Cereal Maker

That independent guesstimate is an awesome photo.

To bad they'll probably muck the HP stripe scheme on the tail and body.
Old Aug 13, 05, 5:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GNM_SkyHarbor
That independent guesstimate is an awesome photo. . .
Here's another view.
Old Aug 13, 05, 7:28 pm

OOOOOOOOOO that second picture looks nice! It's almost like the HP livery only now in blue and not green with US's name and logo all over (if this indeed is what the final look ends up being).

I must say I am extremely happy that there will be a livery change to reflect the change of the airline(s) and their melding into one carrier. Now, I wonder what the interiors hold for us.
Old Aug 15, 05, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
The guestimates for the new livery were attractive. The squigglies on the tail were a bit toylike for an international airline though. There are a lot worse liveries than the guestimates running around at the moment.
Old Aug 17, 05, 1:53 pm

Programs: US dividend miles, Omni Select Guest, United Mplus
Am i the only one that likes the current usairways livery? I also like the guestimates, just not as much. Probaly because the blue on the tail seems like it does not match up with the rest of the plane. Well i guess we'll all see for sure on the 23rd!
Old Aug 17, 05, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face Keep the zig-zag motif.

Am i the only one that likes the current usairways livery?
Maybe on this forum. US's look is too dreary. Besisdes, it's just not appropriate for this climate.

Originally Posted by CApreppie
The squigglies on the tail were a bit toylike for an international airline though.
Are you talking about the tail, or the fuselage? I personally like the Native American motif on the fuselage. It keeps the planes from having that boring white look, and makes HP's aircraft more unique. The tail, however, didn't look as good mostly due to the green & orange colors.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Aug 17, 05 at 2:09 pm
Old Aug 17, 05, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Maybe on this forum. US's look is too dreary. Besisdes, it's just not appropriate for this climate.

Are you talking about the tail, or the fuselage? I personally like the Native American motif on the fuselage. It keeps the planes from having that boring white look, and makes HP's aircraft more unique. The tail, however, didn't look as good mostly due to the green & orange colors.

I LOVE US's livery. I think it's simple and classy--a far cut above HP's cheesy white/teal/orange silliness. Then again, we're all entitled to our opinion I guess

I agree with Byrd on the dark colors not faring well in PHX/LAS climate, but I would have to say teal and orange are also dark, light absorbing colors. Of course this is offset by the disproportionately amount of white livery.
Old Aug 17, 05, 5:49 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by enviroian
I LOVE US's livery. I think it's simple and classy--a far cut above HP's cheesy white/teal/orange silliness.

My point exactly! yay enviroian you rule!
Old Aug 17, 05, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
I LOVE US's livery. I think it's simple and classy--a far cut above HP's cheesy white/teal/orange silliness. Then again, we're all entitled to our opinion I guess

I agree with Byrd on the dark colors not faring well in PHX/LAS climate, but I would have to say teal and orange are also dark, light absorbing colors. Of course this is offset by the disproportionately amount of white livery.
Can I ask what makes white/teal/orange cheesy and silly? Is it becase they aren't primary colors? Just wondering...

Lance
Old Aug 17, 05, 7:37 pm

its not the colors themselves, its how they look on the plane. I know its easy to say that, its obvious. But its true, the colors are very attractive, but i have to say they dont mix well.

Search this Thread