New Livery Unveiling

Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face

I think HP should have gone with that light blue color from their old livery instead of the teal( is that what it is?). That orange isn't helping either. Green(teal) goes with only a handful of colors, and orange isn't one of them.

I agree with Byrd on the dark colors not faring well in PHX/LAS climate,
Can you imagine what HP's fleet would look like after one summer season of heat and duststorms?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Can I ask what makes white/teal/orange cheesy and silly? Is it becase they aren't primary colors? Just wondering...

Lance

Lance, it's not the colors by themselves, it's these color combos together (like Byrd mentioned). They look horrible together IMHO, and do not "match" at all. US's livery is gentle and flowing to the eyes. How can one lose with a subtle blue/grey livery? HP's has marginally attractive colors mismatched together.

Of course...my opinion

Ian
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Lance, it's not the colors by themselves, it's these color combos together (like Byrd mentioned). They look horrible together IMHO, and do not "match" at all. US's livery is gentle and flowing to the eyes. How can one lose with a subtle blue/grey livery? HP's has marginally attractive colors mismatched together.

Of course...my opinion

Ian
I know it's all opinion based, but I see what you mean by mixinig them, not just the colors on their own. I don't find them hideous but I see your point. I like more bold colors as well and I like the new "guess" at the livery very much. I don't really care for the squigglies on the planes either. Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way.

Lance
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:27 am

The new livery will be welcomed as it's a good thing for a new combined airline. I love HP's current scheme...it's different and has a lot of character. Teal and red (it's not orange) go well together and I think it looks great!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:45 am
rec

Programs: AA, UA, NH
If you think the HP color scheme is bad, look at the teal and purple scheme of the city buses in Phoenix.

I don't know why people associate teal and purple with Arizona. The only time we see these colors in PHX is when there's a chemical fire.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by rec
If you think the HP color scheme is bad, look at the teal and purple scheme of the city buses in Phoenix.

I don't know why people associate teal and purple with Arizona. The only time we see these colors in PHX is when there's a chemical fire.
Those Valley Metro buses are hideous! I am glad we repainted A/C 907--the old Phoenix Suns plane. It was so faded and just not a good representation of HP. The employees I talk to are real excited about the new livery--we will be at the hangar Tuesday welcoming the new US plane into the fleet.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
In today's Arizona Republic

Travis Christ, VP of Marketing, regarding the computer-generated images floating around on the Internet that suggests a plane that looks most similar to US Airways' current planes, just much lighter:
"One of them is very close," Christ said.
My bet is on this one.

Merger makeover
AmWest, US Airways to unveil 1st plane with new look

Late Monday night, a freshly painted Airbus A320 will emerge from a hangar at a tiny Louisiana airport and take off for Philadelphia.

The plane will pull into a darkened gate at Philadelphia International Airport for the night, ready for its unveiling in a few hours.

At 7 a.m. Tuesday, America West CEO Doug Parker and US Airways CEO Bruce Lakefield will introduce the plane to employees as the new face of the soon-to-be merged airlines. After some brief remarks, they'll hop on the plane for a five-city employee tour that will end that night with a big party at America West's hangar in Phoenix.

The hush-hush new paint scheme will be the symbolic first step by the new US Airways, a preview of the changes to come as the deal closes this fall and the nation's fifth-largest airline is born.

In Phoenix, it will be a sneak peek of the new rush-hour landscape at Sky Harbor when the paint changeover is complete in several years.

America West is the largest carrier at Sky Harbor.

Even though a plane's look, or livery, is cosmetic - the industry's equivalent of a fashion statement - executives at America West and US Airways studied the matter as seriously as other issues ahead of them, from meshing the cultures to route maps.

"It's one thing that people will judge us on," said Travis Christ, vice president of marketing for America West and the point man on the project.

The airline wanted to project the right image from the outset but didn't want to spend millions and millions on a new look given skyrocketing fuel costs and its low-cost mantra.

The plane that debuts the colors on Tuesday will be put into regular service right away, and a handful of other painted planes will join it by the end of the year. . . (More here)

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Aug 21, 2005 at 1:51 pm Reason: fix link
Old Aug 21, 2005, 5:28 pm
rec

Programs: AA, UA, NH
There's only one thing missing that I would like to see come back...

http://www.recnet.com/us_plane1.jpg
Old Aug 21, 2005, 5:54 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I would like to see the old PI speedbird somewhere on the plane. I don't like US and I miss PI, if somehow PI were worked into it, I may believe the company was serious of meeting the previous quality standards of PI....
Old Aug 21, 2005, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by rec
There's only one thing missing that I would like to see come back...

http://www.recnet.com/us_plane1.jpg
Those smiles were fantastic. At least hope the PSA logo they include on the throwback icon will have the smile.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:29 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
Livery Party

I plan on going to the one in Phoenix .. anyone else going?

Last I heard, it was only going to be open to the media & US/HP employees...
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
I plan on going to the one in Phoenix .. anyone else going?

Last I heard, it was only going to be open to the media & US/HP employees...
Are you an employee? I'm wondering if there's a place in the airport where I can see it. I'm not going to be flying that day.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Are you an employee? I'm wondering if there's a place in the airport where I can see it. I'm not going to be flying that day.
From what I hear, it will be in the HP hangar. You shoud be able to see it arrive from LAS in the early evening!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm flying out to IAH tomorrow afternoon. I'll be on the lookout as we taxi around.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
Party at the PHX Hangar

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Yes, I am an employee of one of the merged companies. My friends at HP Hdq said its going to be quite a reception and expected a ton of people to be there.

I wish I could have invited a very close friend, and former HP employee (and National for that matter).. she was well liked by everyone who ever needed a pass, but was told that only media with permission & badged US/HP & affiliate employees may attend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.