Got blasted out of my sleep by the movie previews

Old Aug 8, 05, 11:33 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,073
Got blasted out of my sleep by the movie previews

I haven't flow America West in over a year, so it was quite a shock as I fell into a nice sleep today on my cross-country flight.

30minutes or an hour into the flight, all of a sudden I'm blasted awake by the 5 minutes of movie previews. I was like ...??

I rang the flight attendant button and requested that they please reduce the volume. I can't believe America West does this. It is completely inconsiderate to their passengers.

I could not go back to sleep and was very weary at the end of the flight.

I get that America West needs to make money - hence show movie previews and headphones at $5 per set. But WHY THE HECK do they have to BLAST THE PREVIEWS??

The ads on the trays were annoying. The blasting of the ads are just plain unacceptable.

It's gonna be a long long time before I set foot on an America West flight again.
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Aug 8, 05, 11:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle,WA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 2,682
There actually has been problem with passengers sleeping during the previews. Some late night flight have significantly reduced headphone rentals. This was the best way to get peoples attention for five minutes and rent more movies. Those people that DO purchase the headphones and the drinks are help paying for your ticket.
westcoastman is offline  
Old Aug 9, 05, 1:37 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Posts: 2,516
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Those people that DO purchase the headphones and the drinks are help paying for your ticket.
NO, I am paying for my own ticket.
asnovici is offline  
Old Aug 9, 05, 2:39 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ORD
Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Posts: 1,248
I'm sure that HP had the volume intentionally set as loud as humanly possible to annoy people so much that the only solution is to their ruptured eardrums is to pay $5 to watch the movie.

In all seriousness, couldn't it have been a mistake that it was set that loud? I've been on countless flights that were loud, and just as many where the volume was so low you couldn't hear anything at all.
N808DE is offline  
Old Aug 9, 05, 2:43 pm
  #5  
dawei
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I've been on UA flights where they have accidently routed the ife over the PA -- and given that they dont charge for headphones Im sure it was a mistake.....
 
Old Aug 9, 05, 11:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
Earplugs

Would take care of this
GNM_SkyHarbor is offline  
Old Aug 11, 05, 12:06 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 22
You've got to be kidding - do you actually think AWA does this on purpose?? Movies are not shown on any red-eye flight. To say you'll never fly them again because of the volume of the movie preview is so narrow-minded that it is actually funny!! BTW - don't know where your seat was but in the back (the last 6 or 7 rows) because of engine noise you can barely hear the movie preview - up front where it is more quiet it will sound louder. Hate the tray table ads? Well - get used to them - they are sold out for the remainder of the year and into 2006. Too bad you based your experience on movie volume and ads............. "If life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it" - to quote your post - you may want to try living up to that. I would hate to think that my response to a loud movie preview would affect my 90%!!

Last edited by AIRBUS GIRL; Aug 11, 05 at 12:12 am
AIRBUS GIRL is offline  
Old Aug 11, 05, 5:49 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,714
Originally Posted by AIRBUS GIRL
You've got to be kidding - do you actually think AWA does this on purpose?? Movies are not shown on any red-eye flight. To say you'll never fly them again because of the volume of the movie preview is so narrow-minded that it is actually funny!! BTW - don't know where your seat was but in the back (the last 6 or 7 rows) because of engine noise you can barely hear the movie preview - up front where it is more quiet it will sound louder. Hate the tray table ads? Well - get used to them - they are sold out for the remainder of the year and into 2006. Too bad you based your experience on movie volume and ads............. "If life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it" - to quote your post - you may want to try living up to that. I would hate to think that my response to a loud movie preview would affect my 90%!!
Woah, relax. I can understand the OP's comments as HP does crank it up to the point sometimes of being absurd.

You don't happen to work for HP do you?
enviroian is online now  
Old Aug 11, 05, 9:19 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 22
Yes I do - and for 21 years - that is why I find those comments so ridiculous. I can see someone saying that it will take forever for them to fly AWA again because of repeated operational problems/service etc. but for all the times I have flown - (thousands) and non-reved, I have never seen the movie preview blasted so loud that someone would complain to the point of not flying that carrier because of noise volume from a preview.
AIRBUS GIRL is offline  
Old Aug 11, 05, 2:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX
Programs: WN A-List
Posts: 1,010
Originally Posted by GNM_SkyHarbor
[Earplugs] would take care of this
I agree, I can't even think about sleeping on an airplane without them.
Dunbar is offline  
Old Aug 11, 05, 2:15 pm
  #11  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,037
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
. . . It's gonna be a long long time before I set foot on an America West flight again.
Because of a loud movie preview and an ad on the tray table?

Frankly, if that's all it takes to turn you away from an airline, it's amazing there are any left that you're willing to fly.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Aug 12, 05, 11:07 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,073
Originally Posted by AIRBUS GIRL
Yes I do - and for 21 years - that is why I find those comments so ridiculous. I can see someone saying that it will take forever for them to fly AWA again because of repeated operational problems/service etc. but for all the times I have flown - (thousands) and non-reved, I have never seen the movie preview blasted so loud that someone would complain to the point of not flying that carrier because of noise volume from a preview.
Well you should work for a better airline.

Having experienced many opertional problem on UAL, Southwest, etc. I was shocked at the lack of customer respect on AWA.

And it was not a fluke. On the return trip they blasted the volume again.
And by the way, they broke into long, tedious announcements about the buy-on-board program. The would publicly announce "we're now out of the Philly sandwich, but you can buy the delicious snack pack, or the blah blah blah" every 10 minutes, which got to be really annoying.

This time I had my earbuds in my ear because I knew it was coming, but it was still irritating.

Obviously you have not worked with/flown a decent airline in a while. You have my sympathies.

Last edited by UALOneKPlus; Aug 12, 05 at 11:11 am
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Aug 12, 05, 11:09 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,073
Originally Posted by AIRBUS GIRL
You've got to be kidding - do you actually think AWA does this on purpose?? ...:
Duh. Of course.

What does AWA lack? Customer RESPECT. You obviously demonstrate that very well.

And yes I'm responding very well to this event, by choosing not to fly AWA again and be treated like a customer to be exploited for every possible marketing ploy, to squeeze out every penny.

Last edited by UALOneKPlus; Aug 12, 05 at 11:12 am
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Aug 12, 05, 11:14 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Department of Homeland Sincerity
Programs: WN Platinum
Posts: 12,073
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Because of a loud movie preview and an ad on the tray table?

Frankly, if that's all it takes to turn you away from an airline, it's amazing there are any left that you're willing to fly.
Let's put it this way - there are a lot of airlines that don't treat the passengers like trapped marketing fodder. Especially to the point where the passengers have to wear hearing protective devices to shield themselves from the excessive marketing bombardment.
UALOneKPlus is offline  
Old Aug 12, 05, 2:28 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ORD
Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Posts: 1,248
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Let's put it this way - there are a lot of airlines that don't treat the passengers like trapped marketing fodder. Especially to the point where the passengers have to wear hearing protective devices to shield themselves from the excessive marketing bombardment.

"Excessive marketing bombardment" ?? Wow. I'm taking a wild guess here - you don't go to movies, or watch TV, or read magazines right?

Seriously, though, you can't be serious that a loud (to you) movie preview and a tray table ad has gotten you this upset. Yikes. Something else traumatic in your life must have happened because I don't know of any sane person who would react this way. And, for the record, I think AWA is better off...the fewer miserable nit-pickers, the better.
N808DE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread