Watch the airfare quotes on new web site.

Old Aug 1, 05, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HP, UA, SW
Watch the airfare quotes on new web site.

Here's one I haven't heard of yet. Yesterday, 7-31-05, I attempted to book a couple of RT's, LAS/SNA. After logging in, I tried to book the second week of Sep. RT came back at 826.00 including all the fees. Thinking I must have hit the wrong city or something like that, I re-tried the booking again. Still came back with the 826.00 quote. Even though this is close to Labor Day weekend, it still couldn't be this high. (Booking around 6 weeks in advance the fare should be 113.90 RT w/all fees). I called the Elite Member phone number and the extreamly nice and helpful agent tried to book the same flight. Her's came back at 113.90. She asked me if I had logged in with my FF number and PIN. I answered yes. She asked me to log completly out and simply attempt to book the same flight without my FF and PIN. I did this and my flight came in at 113.90. I booked the following week without logging in and also got the 113.90 fare. (During the process I entered my FF number and hope I am on the upgrade list and will get FF credit. WIll have to watch).

Now ain't this great. If you are a frequent flyer the rate is 826.00. If you are a casual flyer using the web the same flights on the same days gets you a fare of 113.90. I fly this route every week and the usual fare is 113.90 if you keep out in front at least 6 weeks.

I feel sure this is a web problem but a word to the wise. KEEP TRACK OF THE FARES. Even a 100 dollar mistake could be made so if you see a fare that is not normal, pick up the phone and call.

Safe travels to all.

Last edited by mac5192117; Aug 1, 05 at 4:33 pm
Old Aug 1, 05, 5:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mac5192117
. . .During the process I entered my FF number and hope I am on the upgrade list and will get FF credit. WIll have to watch. . .
Very strange experience. I've had far more problems with this new web site than I did the last one. It's really a shame.

If you were able to reserve elite seats then you shouldn't have to worry. Call up your reservation online and see if your FF number is in there. Also, you can call them to verify that it is in the record and that the reservation is set up to automatically upgrade you, if available. Given the web site problems since this launch, personally, I wouldn't risk it.
Old Aug 4, 05, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: HP, UA, SW
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice AZ Travels, I called and verified that my FF number was recorded and verified that I was on the "List" for possible F upgrade on both RT's. Funny, however, neither RT shows up on my booked flights on my account. But if I check by confirmation number, both of these new reservations show up. I suppose I should be happy they are there in some form or another.

By the way, while I was on the phone with the Elite AWa reservations folks (they are the BEST!!) I mentioned the $830.00 quote. I was wrong. It was about $860.00!! The agent told me that was the highest fare listed. And it is basically a fare charged if you walked up to the counter and there was only one seat left for the flight. I guess you would have to be really hard up to pay this amount! Could rent a limo to Vegas for less.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old Aug 4, 05, 12:07 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
AWA Gets What They Pay For

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=446728&page=4

Apparently they think that they can get top notch IT at bottom notch rates. It doesn't work that way.
Old Aug 4, 05, 6:53 pm

Yes, you need to be careful with the WEB quotes. I was looking at PHX-->GDL a few weeks ago. The site quoted $620, so I was going to use miles. But the web site kept erroring out. So I called, and I guess forgot to tell the rep that I wanted to use miles. When the rep quoted $375, of course I booked that rather than using miles. I wonder how many people have been 'screwed' by booking thru the web site, rather than talking to a rep and getting the true lowest price???
Old Aug 4, 05, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Yes, you need to be careful with the WEB quotes. I was looking at PHX-->GDL a few weeks ago. The site quoted $620, so I was going to use miles. But the web site kept erroring out. So I called, and I guess forgot to tell the rep that I wanted to use miles. When the rep quoted $375, of course I booked that rather than using miles. I wonder how many people have been 'screwed' by booking thru the web site, rather than talking to a rep and getting the true lowest price???
I like to think most consumers will think twice, and not only try the airline site, but confirm it on at least one third party site, like Orbitz, Expedia, or Travelocity to just do a sanity check. Some don't, but a $800 fare from SNA to LAS like one poster had is a bit overkill. For that kind of fare, its about a 4-5 hour drive from LA area, thats worth the $650 difference!
Old Aug 5, 05, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I continue to have problems with HP's website. Most annoyingly is this error message I get 9 out of 10 times when trying to check my flight status:

An error has occurred. Please see the explanation below for more information.

What went wrong?
We're sorry. Our system has experienced an error and we are unable to complete your request.
How can I fix it?
Please wait a moment and try your request again.
Reference Code: NOT LOGGED (1.7.110020.100001)
Occurred: 8/5/2005 7:20:26 AM

What I find a pain is that when and if it does work and show me my res, it won't retain in your history folder like it used to. You just can't reload the page and check out the info, you have to start from scratch.

Sorry, but IMO HP did a half assed job of rolling this website out.
Old Aug 5, 05, 1:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, DL Silver, WN A-List
Not that bad...

Honestly, I've not had anywhere near as many problems with the new site as with the old and I sure do like some of the new features.

All of that said, let's keep in mind that it's essentially a temporary website at this point. When the merger is complete, there's going to be one website and I can bet you it's not going to be this one.

Search this Thread