FC Meals/Special meals

Old Jul 25, 05, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
FC Meals/Special meals

I am flying to Chicago this week and I was wondering what was being served in FC these days.

I was actually thinking about ordering a special meal. Has anybody done that recently?
Old Jul 25, 05, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Your choices will be:

1. Chicken caesar salad, with bread stick/hammer, brownie or apple cobbler
2. Tri colored cheese tortellini, with same as above

Hopefully you'll get glasses instead of plastic

I've never ordered a special meal and actually not sure if they even have one available for F (?)
Old Jul 25, 05, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
Your choices will be:

with bread stick/hammer

LOL I agree!! I am always afraid to break a tooth on these things. Every once in a while (including the other day ORD to PHX) it will be almost soft. I asked once if she could do them this way and she said when they are heated they get hard. There must be some trick to make them softer. The meal is better than a hot pocket, but a softer breadstick would be nice!

By the way, I can't tell you the last time I had plastic in flight (not pre-board) with the exception of a flight in the past week or so when she told us she was running out of glasses and had to switch to plastic.

Jennifer
Old Jul 25, 05, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...

The website "advertises" the availability of low calorie/low cholesterol, vegetarian, and kosher meals when traveling in 1st class. Basically, the deal is that they must be ordered at least 12 hours in advance except for kosher meals, which must be ordered 24 hours in advance.

So, I decided that I would opt for the low choesterol (surprise).

I just called HP, they pulled up my record, checked and verified that I called with enough advance notice and took the order.

The agent came back to the phone and said that the request was made, but they do not guarantee that it will be on the plane!

It's this kind of thing that gets me all rattled....why offer and then basically say, you have a 50% chance or less of it actually happening. Oh well, I will report back and let you know how it turned out.

Just for the record, either way, I will survive....I just thought this was amusing.
Old Jul 25, 05, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Thanks for the info...

The website "advertises" the availability of low calorie/low cholesterol, vegetarian, and kosher meals when traveling in 1st class. Basically, the deal is that they must be ordered at least 12 hours in advance except for kosher meals, which must be ordered 24 hours in advance.

So, I decided that I would opt for the low choesterol (surprise).

I just called HP, they pulled up my record, checked and verified that I called with enough advance notice and took the order.

The agent came back to the phone and said that the request was made, but they do not guarantee that it will be on the plane!

It's this kind of thing that gets me all rattled....why offer and then basically say, you have a 50% chance or less of it actually happening. Oh well, I will report back and let you know how it turned out.

Just for the record, either way, I will survive....I just thought this was amusing.
You might not survive if you took F last year frequently dining on these culinary treats

http://www.hotpockets.com/hot/produc...p?ID=366#10230

What irks me as well is that they always seem to "run out" of the chix caesar before they get to me. I realize it's cost prohibitive to stock up on two items for each F passenger, but it's just my luck it seems. Perhaps if they took entree orders in order of elite status I might be in luck but for the meantime it's tortellini for me.

Let us know how it goes. I'm dying to hear what it is they actually give you as a "low cholesterol" meal. Let's hope they don't give you a 8 oz container of egg beaters
Old Jul 26, 05, 2:15 pm

Programs: Empty Seat Program
I actually had a special meal boarded in F/C a week and a half ago on a LASORD flight.
It was the lowcal meal. It was plain chicken breast, rice, broccoli medley, and a spinach salad with a roll, low call fat free dressing and margarine.
The orderee no-showed. I had 11 regular meals and would have had to offer this to someone else if I hadn't had 2 turn-downs. Usually, the special meal is boarded above the 12/14 regular meals.
The lowcal meal looked good, if you like bland.
The regular meals on this flight were the chicken caeser or the penne pasta w/roasted veggies and a side salad. Choc/choc chip brownies for dessert, which are sooo good!
I have also had, not too long ago, a couple that ordered vegetarian meals. Those were not boarded, but half the regular choice was vegetarian lasagna.
Don't know if that was the reason. If you were strict vegan, no dairy, that entree would not work for you. This couple had the lasagna and literally cleaned their plates.
Old Jul 26, 05, 2:18 pm

Programs: HP Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
I was told some time ago by a FA that food orders in F are taken in a pattern. On west/southbound they start from 1A and go back; east/northbound they start from the last row, D seat and work their way forward. Invariably, I am always the last asked.
Old Jul 26, 05, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Well, tomorrow is the day. I will be aboard my "meal" flight. Will the meal make it? I will let you know when I get back Friday night.
Old Jul 26, 05, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3MM / Hilton Diamond
I always order vegetarian meals, and HP has it for me roughly 50% of the time.
Don't know why I have such such a low success rate (compared to DL and CO).
Old Jul 27, 05, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA million miler
i just arrived (tonite) on HP50 LAS/JFK, in 2B

the meal requests were taken from the front to the back

2 choices: chicken/caeser or chicken/penne

(no tortellini)

but i knew that- if you go to their web site, it actually illustrates the first class meals!

but surprise- the penne is cold, not hot

my seatmate was quite unhappy, i think he expected a hot meal

there was an interesting announcement for coach, in conjunction with the sale of snack boxes:

"we are only serving water now; there will be a full beverage service before landing"!!!!

every seat was taken- and F is no great shakes on their 757- when the person in 1B reclined i almost had his seat top in my chin-no way i could have stowed or taken out the tray
Old Jul 30, 05, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Well, made it back from my trip to ORD which is what prompted me to start this thread to begin with.

Outbound, LASORD: initially the FA told me that she did not see any special meals. However, when it came time to serve, she came to me and said that they put my lo-cal "set-up" on the plane, but there was nothing that resembled a main course. So, I had the penne and as a bonus got some sliced fruit which was on the set up tray.

Returning ORDPHX: no special meals were boarded. The FA said that the plane was doubled catered in PHX. I opted for the chicken caesar salad without the dressing. Somebody across the aisle from me ordered a vegatarian meal, which was also not on the plane. He was really upset.

The special meal thing or lack thereof is not really that big of a deal. Anybody can survive 3 or 5 hours for that matter without special food. The problem that I have is that this is something that is advertised as available. I was always taught to under promise and over deliver. If boarding these meals is routinely a problem, stop offering them rather than ticking off passengers.

BTW, an announcement was made on my return flight regarding the "water" service in coach. Strange.
Old Jul 30, 05, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, an announcement was made on my return flight regarding the "water" service in coach. Strange.
What type of announcement?

I wonder if HP has any plans to bring hot meals back anytime soon. How often does one change their menu's and/or catering? I suppose nothing will be done with the upcoming assimilation of US DM. Then again, from what I've read on that board it sounds like HP is BA CW compared to US F (did I read correctly when someone on that board said they serve snack boxes?)
Old Jul 30, 05, 5:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . . BTW, an announcement was made on my return flight regarding the "water" service in coach. Strange.

I suspect he's talking about the "we will be coming through the cabin with a full beverage service. That will be followed by our 'In-Flight Cafe' (buy-on-board food), which will have a water service only -- no additional beverages." So, the point is, if you plan to buy something to eat and want something to drink with it other than water, save it from the first beverage service or you'll be out of luck. In my experience there is typically a considerable time lag between the two, which means that beverage has to sit there for quite a while, while you hope that they still have some of what you want to eat when they get to you.

Personally, I think this is pretty low class. (Though I recognize that this is HP SOP, as they've done it on every flight I've been on, so I'm not slamming the FA's here.) They've got decent buy-on-board options for you to have a meal, but then won't offer you a beverage that you'd like to have with it. How hard would it be to do the initial beverage service, then the buy-on-board food, then swing through with one more beverage service. This is the way it used to work when meals were provided for free. In reality, a large portion of people won't want anything on the second service, but if you're buying food, you could have something to eat.

On the flights that are long enough that they're serving food at all, it's not as though the FA's have anything more to do but sit or stand in the back and read, chat, or whatever for most of the rest of the flight. They could do something that provides value to the customer -- like give them an option other than water.
Old Jul 30, 05, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite

I wonder if HP has any plans to bring hot meals back anytime soon.

They actually do offer both cold and hot meals. It seems to depend on the time of day. I believe if it is lunch or dinner time, you get the salad with warm chicken and the warm pasta meal. If it is in between, then your "snack" is a cold version of the same. In the past few months I have had more of the hot meals than the cold.

I think that from Vegas it is typically cold due to the departure times, but I am not totally sure.

Jennifer
Old Jul 30, 05, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
They actually do offer both cold and hot meals. It seems to depend on the time of day. I believe if it is lunch or dinner time, you get the salad with warm chicken and the warm pasta meal. If it is in between, then your "snack" is a cold version of the same. In the past few months I have had more of the hot meals than the cold.

I think that from Vegas it is typically cold due to the departure times, but I am not totally sure.

Jennifer
Interesting. So they nuke the tri colored tortellini after 4, but serve it cold before? I guess now that I'm thinking about this further I see your right.

Do you make frequent trips to ORD? I used to, but my region has changed and I'm Houston most of the time, i.e., "gourment mix"

Search this Thread