FC Meals/Special meals

Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm flying F tomorrow PHX-CLE at 9 am. It's been a while since I've taken a morning F food flight on HP. Does anyone know what the offerings will be? Please don't tell me it's going to be chicken caesar salad with orange juice
Old Aug 1, 2005, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Breakfast for August looks like Granola and fruit or 3 cheese omlet.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Breakfast for August looks like Granola and fruit or 3 cheese omlet.
First Class Food Service

America West serves complimentary meals to customers in First Class on domestic flights greater than three hours that depart between 6 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. For a complete list of cities with First Class meal service, please review our map below.

Just saw this on their site. My flight leaves a 9 am, later than their apparent cutoff of 7.30 but certainly not lunch time. So I guess I'll be having lasagna at 10 am high over Colorado somewhere??

7.30 PM My bad ^

Last edited by enviroian; Aug 1, 2005 at 5:32 pm
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:24 pm

Programs: Empty Seat Program
Re: the water service w/the BOB cart.

Please keep in mind, on a full A320, there are 138 coach pax and 2 FAs to serve them.
Before service begins, the service flow is clearly explained. If a pax chooses to suck down their entire can of soda before the meal cart comes around, they have only themselves to blame.
Water (and sometimes coffee) is available on the food cart as a courtesy to these people or anyone else who is still thirsty.
In order for the service to work in any reasonably organized manner, there has to be a standard "service flow".
This is what distinguishes service on an airplane from service in a restaraunt.
The 'water only' announcement is reiterated for the passengers who ignored the initial service flow announcement.
Its an attempt to curtail the inevitable requests for beverages not available.

Also, be aware that a FA is not allowed to be more than 3rows away from a service cart, that is why usually there are 2 FAs on a cart together, so one will be free to step away and assist pax/answer call buttons.
We fudge on this occasionally, but if a ghost rider or 'secret shopper' sees it, it means a visit to the supervisor and a letter in the file.

Flights w/a scheduled block time of less than 4 hours are two beverage service flights. One initial full beverage, and the BOB/water service. The FAs do not have to perform an additional full beverage service unless they want to. Over 4 hours, you should get an additional full service appx 1hr to landing.
Late or night flights are adjusted depending if pax are sleeping, so as not to wake everyone.

If you require more service than that, please ring your call button.

Last edited by Lifer; Aug 2, 2005 at 9:29 pm
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lifer
. . . Flights w/a scheduled block time of less than 4 hours are two beverage service flights. One initial full beverage, and the BOB/water service. The FAs do not have to perform an additional full beverage service unless they want to. Over 4 hours, you should get an additional full service appx 1hr to landing. . .
That's my issue: "They don't have to perform an additional full beverage service unless they want to." In my experience, most don't want to, so they don't.

As an example, on an east coast to PHX flight, they did exactly what you described. Full beverage, followed by BOB w/ water only. That was it. Almost five hours. This was during dinner hour -- not a late night flight. People rang call buttons and got what they requested. Others, like me, won't ring the button unless it is something truly important.

I still submit that on a flight as long as this, it would not be very difficult for the FA's to come back around after the BOB to refill beverages, of particular interest to those who just bought food. In my case, it was a full 90 minutes after I got my first beverage until I received the BOB food. They really expect me to sit there with that one beverage for an hour-and-a-half? Or, settle for water? I think that's poor form.

Fully more than 50% of the flight, the FA's were standing or sitting, essentially doing nothing. In my view, they could be less stringent about the "water only" service and spend a few more minutes taking care of customers.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
People rang call buttons and got what they requested. Others, like me, won't ring the button unless it is something truly important.
Please feel free to ask for what you want while onboard the aircraft and give the crew a chance to make you happy.
If you want another drink, but don't want to ask for it, it does neither party any good to complain about it after the fact.
If enuf call buttons go off for beverage requests, the cart will most likely be brought out again, even if it is not part of the prescribed service for that flight.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

I still submit that on a flight as long as this, it would not be very difficult for the FA's to come back around after the BOB to refill beverages, of particular interest to those who just bought food. In my case, it was a full 90 minutes after I got my first beverage until I received the BOB food. They really expect me to sit there with that one beverage for an hour-and-a-half? Or, settle for water? I think that's poor form.
On a full A320, there are 138 passengers and 2 FAs. The FAs work as quickly as possible, but , it does take a certain amount of time to go once thru the cabin with a full beverage service, put that cart away, one FA then picks up trash while the other sets up the food cart, then start the process over again with the food cart, put it away, then another trash run.
The process takes even longer depending on how many pax ask for hot tea, or pillows, or blankets, or if someone spills and we have to clean it up, or a particular beverage is popular on that flight and has to be continually restocked, or if the 'C' FA is new, or any number of other things that are out of our control.
But, honestly, we go as fast as we can, I swear!
The third beverage service on a flight scheduled over 4hours is to be performed appx 1hr prior to landing. Sometimes this is adjusted by FAs due to the situation/time of day/sleeping pax etc.
To answer your question, yes we really expect you to pace yourself with your beverage if you want to drink it w/your meal, if you can't resist drinking the entire thing before your food arrives, then water is what is available on the food cart.
These are the 2 options available with our service standard. A third option would be to bring additional beverages with you if you are a very thirsty person. A fourth option could be to be pro-active and order yourself two beverages on the initial service. Then you could suck one down right away and still have one left over for when you get your meal.
Which of course brings us to a fifth option, which would be to bring food onboard with you, then you could eat it whenever you were ready. This is a VERY popular option that many people take advantage of, including the FAs.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:39 am

Double-post, sorry!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Lifer
To answer your question, yes we really expect you to pace yourself with your beverage if you want to drink it w/your meal, if you can't resist drinking the entire thing before your food arrives, then water is what is available on the food cart.
So you really expect someone to sit and sip a can of soda (and not have the ice melt) in 1.5 hours? Sounds pretty unrealistic to me. Yeah it would be nice if we all had extra hands to hold some food and some time to get it when we are racing for connections but sometimes it doesn't work that way. I do agree you can ask for an extra can if you can stand the evil eyes you sometimes get from FA who seem like they get a percentage of their pay cut by the number of cans they give out. Some are great some are extremely stingy with the soda.

I usually won't ring the call button unless it is something serious. I never believed that needing a refill of soda was that but it's nice to know that FAs expect us to do so.

Lance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.