Arizona Cardinals dump America West, go with Northwest

Old Jul 19, 05, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Arizona Cardinals dump America West, go with Northwest

In today's Arizona Republic.

Cards dump AmWest for Northwest flights

For the first time in 16 years, Arizona's hometown football team won't be flying on the hometown airline this season.

The Arizona Cardinals have selected Northwest Airlines over Tempe-based America West Airlines for their charter flights.

Ron Minegar, vice president of marketing and sales for the team, said Minneapolis-based Northwest was selected for its "capabilities and pricing."

He said America West officials recently informed the team that they would not be able to provide preseason service. The team did not want to have one airline for the preseason and another for the regular season.

America West spokesman Phil Gee said the only reason it told the Cardinals it couldn't provide preseason service was because the team didn't provide enough notice to arrange a plane and flight crew.

The contract is up for bid every year. America West bid on the business in April and expected to hear something by May, but didn't, Gee said. America West officials called last month to see what was up and mentioned that it was too late for preseason but that they could still do the regular season.

That's when the team informed them it was going to go with Northwest, Gee said. . . (more)
Old Jul 19, 05, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, Amtrak, VIA
The Arizona Cardinals 757 was at DFW Sunday, and I suppose it's now in line to be the first HP plane to get US Airways colors.
Old Jul 19, 05, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daze
The Arizona Cardinals 757 was at DFW Sunday, and I suppose it's now in line to be the first HP plane to get US Airways colors.
As I understand it, the 757's painted in Cardinals, Suns and Diamondbacks liveries are based on a marketing agreement, much like a company buys a billboard, and have nothing to do with whether HP transports the teams. America West Arena, home of the Suns, is yet another specific agreement. The Suns and Diamondbacks haven't used HP for a number of years.
Old Jul 19, 05, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
America West officials called last month to see what was up and mentioned that it was too late for preseason but that they could still do the regular season.
What, nobody is concenred with the Cardinals' post-season travel plans?
Old Jul 19, 05, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
AZ has a football team?
Old Jul 19, 05, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, OZ*G, Avis CHM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I hope that sends a big enough message to HP. Though not on the same scale, of course, I'm thinking of dumping them ... also for "capabilities and pricing". Who would pay an extra 20% just to be served by an RJ? Otherwise, who'd be a FT member!?
Old Jul 19, 05, 7:24 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
They can't afford showing up late for the road games
Old Jul 19, 05, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by cactuspete
What, nobody is concenred with the Cardinals' post-season travel plans?
I know! This season is the Cardinals' best season to make the playoffs and everybody still thinks they'll place last in the NFC West? Shame Shame Shame.
Old Jul 19, 05, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
AZ has a football team?
Yes, most of us who are aware of it consider it semi-pro.

Originally Posted by asu-ua772
. . . This season is the Cardinals' best season to make the playoffs and everybody still thinks they'll place last in the NFC West? . . .
Do you know how many times we've heard this before?

Does "you've got a winner in town" sound familiar?

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Jul 19, 05 at 10:36 pm Reason: clean up this mess of an attempt at posting -- it must be time for bed!
Old Jul 20, 05, 12:50 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-MVPG75K / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Cool What happened to the Phoenix Suns Airplane....

Hey y'all,

Ok, so the specialized paint schemes aren't tied to marketing agreements, however....

Didn't HP lose the PHX Suns contract to Southwest ??
And didn't the Purple PHX Suns 757 get re-painted right afterwards ?

I've heard the the reason the Suns 757 was re-painted back to normal paint scheme was cuz the purple oxidized too quickly. Ok, I'll buy that. That plane always looked like it needed a wax job bad

Why does purple oxidize so bad ? Beats me. But purple is half red, and I think it's a given fact that red is the worst paint color for oxidation (I can't quote a fact, but ever own a red car ?? Or think about why "almost bankrupt" Northwest Airlines is spending the $$$ to change their plane's primary color from red to silverish ??).

And what color is the Cardinals 757 ???

Steve
Old Jul 20, 05, 6:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Northwest is rumored to be going on strike. Now wouldn't that really shake up the NFL season?
Old Jul 21, 05, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by asu-ua772
I know! This season is the Cardinals' best season to make the playoffs and everybody still thinks they'll place last in the NFC West? Shame Shame Shame.
Let's be fair. They have a fighting chance with the 49'ers for last place
Old Jul 21, 05, 1:30 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
ROTFLMAO! A Perfect Match - Cards & NW

The Cards (NFL's Southworst team) to fly with Northworst - what a laugh!

The nastiest FAs in the world are on NW. I had to listen to them b i t c h about customers every morning while they were flying WN to LA for international flights.

They deserve each other. NW to go on strike; I wonder if anyone will notice that the Cards are a No Show? They've been a no show for 16 yrs anyway!

Old Jul 28, 05, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Northwest?????????
I hope they enjoy waiting for a 30 year old DC9 thats stuck in a Detroit blizzard.
Old Aug 11, 05, 6:55 am

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Silver (who isn't)
Well, it's run like everything else in the Cards organization - and you get what you pay for.

Search this Thread