It's Official HP will be servicing Hawaii

Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by abeflyer
Now once the merger goes through, start the flight (at least the flight #) in PHL or CLT and now they will have the most direct flights to HI from the east as well to feed this aggressive launch. ^
Most direct from east coast to Hawaii
CO EWR-HNL
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by AA4LIFE
Most direct from east coast to Hawaii
CO EWR-HNL
There's also ATL to HNL, but besides those two non-stops. the way I counted it, HP could have six one-stops a day from the east. Not the same as non-stops, but good for marketing purposes.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
It appears that a code-share arrangement is going to continue, at least for inter-island flights. Playing around with booking options on awa.com, flights up to Dec. 15 are the HA 35/36 PHX-HNL 767 flights. Then, post 12/15 those flights are no longer available, but the HP non-stops on 757's are.

However, booking through HNL or OGG to another island and you get HP for the long-haul and HA for the inter-island connections.

So, it seems the HP/HA relationship will live on, at least in some form.

Stay tuned, the Arizona Republic reported in this morning's edition that HP has a press conference scheduled for 1:00 today, presumably for this announcement.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:03 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
America West Brings Its Low-Fare Service to the Hawaiian Islands
America West Announces Service Between Its Two Hubs and Four Islands in the Aloha State
PHOENIX, July 11, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- America West Airlines (NYSE: AWA), the nation's second largest low-cost airline, announces new service between its Phoenix hub and four Hawaiian Islands; Honolulu, Oahu; Kahului, Maui; Lihue, Kauai; and Kona, Hawaii (the Big Island), and from its Las Vegas hub to Kahului, Maui. The service will be added for the popular holiday travel period beginning December 16, 2005 with expanded service being introduced for March 2006.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO)

"The tide is high, the surf's up; come on everybody, we're going to Hawaii!" exclaimed Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing. "America West's coast-to-coast route system -- already the most extensive of any low-cost carrier -- adds yet another jewel to its network of fantastic vacation destinations. We're thrilled to bring our customers direct service to one of the country's most popular vacation spots.

"We're also pleased to offer our loyal frequent flyers more ease than ever as they book their travels to the island of their choice. Our everyday low fares and exceptional customer service will have passengers saying 'aloha' before they step foot on the island," continued Kirby.

"This is an exciting day not only for America West, but for all of Phoenix. We're delighted that our hometown airline will offer non-stop flights to four Hawaiian Islands. This will greatly benefit Valley residents not only from a leisure standpoint, as they now have access to some of the most desired destinations in the United States, but we also anticipate this new service to positively affect our economy as we more closely link ourselves with the state of Hawaii and its significant tourism industry," remarked Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon.

America West Vacations will also offer exciting air and hotel packages to all four Hawaiian Islands served by America West. Packages include air, hotel, traditional lei greeting at the airport and optional rental car or hotel shuttle transportation. A variety of accommodations will be available, from budget to luxury, with several condominium-style properties available. Packages also include value-added options like free nights, free meals, two-for-one luaus, free room upgrades and honeymoon amenities. Please visit www.americawestvacations.com for more information and to conveniently book online.

Specific flight information is listed below:

* On Dec. 16, 2005, service will begin with one daily roundtrip flight
between Phoenix and Honolulu, Oahu and one roundtrip flight a day
between Phoenix and Kahului, Maui.

* On March 1, 2006, America West will inaugurate:

* One new daily roundtrip flight between Las Vegas and Kahului, Maui

* A second daily roundtrip between Phoenix and Honolulu, Oahu

* Four new weekly roundtrips from Phoenix to Lihue, Kauai

* On March 2, 2006, Phoenix will start service to Kona, Hawaii with
three roundtrip flights per week.

America West will provide the new service aboard the 190-seat (14 first class and 176 coach class) Boeing 757-200 (B757) aircraft.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
^ I'm thrilled that HP is going to be flying to Hawaii again, but . . .

has anyone looked at the new award chart? 40,000 off-peak, 50,000 peak for a coach award. Compare that to the 35,000 year-round award offered by the Star Alliance and SkyTeam airlines. Also, First awards are 80,000 off-peak and 100,000 peak, versus 80,000 year-round on Star carriers and 75,000 on SkyTeam carriers.

I think HP's awards are inconsistent with other airlines in the market and too high to be competitive with other airlines.

ALSO, per the HP website, complimentary elite upgrades will NOT extend to Hawaii flights.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Jul 11, 2005 at 2:47 pm
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
America West Brings Its Low-Fare Service to the Hawaiian Islands
America West Announces Service Between Its Two Hubs and Four Islands in the Aloha State . . .
SanDiegoShaun, I don't see any reference to the current HA Flight Fund mileage earning/redeeming relationship. Do you know if this will continue and, if so, in what form?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:32 pm

it seems like HP's website hasnt updated properly. when you click on award travel it only shows awards for NW and HA and not anything HP.

i cant imagine anyone would use 80k miles to fly FC on HP when you could use only 75K miles on CO for the best experience to HI.

then again, if you only have HP miles, there's not many other options. but again, not inline with other airlines to HI.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; AA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I'm thrilled that HP is going to be flying to Hawaii again, but . . .

has anyone looked at the new award chart? 40,000 off-peak, 50,000 peak for a coach award. Compare that to the 35,000 year-round award offered by the Star Alliance and SkyTeam airlines.
Dreadful.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by rjp6902
Dump Mesa? Amen! ^
Careful what you wish for....YV got dumped from PRC and now they have substandard service to T2 with no HP affiliation, no FFQ mileage earning ops, and higher fares. The community used to loathe YV, now they want them back, but it may be too late.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:02 pm

has anyone looked at the new award chart? 40,000 off-peak, 50,000 peak for a coach award. Compare that to the 35,000 year-round award offered by the Star Alliance and SkyTeam airlines. Also, First awards are 80,000 off-peak and 100,000 peak, versus 80,000 year-round on Star carriers and 75,000 on SkyTeam carriers.
It looks like the Hawaii Award travel information is loaded, but not under Hawaii. If you click Contiguous 48 U.S., you can see the miles required for HP flights.

No off peak and peak for HP flights - 35K year round for coach and 75K year round for first class.

http://www.americawest.com/awa/conte...ontiguous.aspx
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
SanDiegoShaun, I don't see any reference to the current HA Flight Fund mileage earning/redeeming relationship. Do you know if this will continue and, if so, in what form?
AZ Are you talking about this one?
http://americawest.com/awa/content/f...ardHawaii.aspx
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
Yes, and for earning miles, this.

Presumably, since there are different award redemption mileage levels listed for HP and HA on the redemption pages and the earning sections are the same today as they were yesterday, the HA relationship is expected to continue as it is. Is that safe to assume?

I just thought it odd that HP is now going head-to-head with one of their key Flight Fund partners and their announcement and web pages make no mention of whether that relationship will continue in its current form, change or end. I'm curious because I use this relationship quite a lot, and book tickets, mostly in F, months in advance. If we're no longer going to be able to earn HA miles on competitive routes, or some such change to the current program, I hope they provide at least 6 months notice. Any idea what's planned in this regard?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:44 pm

Programs: HP/US
HA Partnership

The codeshare with HA is due to expire in October 2005, no word yet as to the future of our relationship.

<insert personal opinion here>
I cant see the codeshare continuing, unless only for inter-island flights.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Yes, and for earning miles, this.

Presumably, since there are different award redemption mileage levels listed for HP and HA on the redemption pages and the earning sections are the same today as they were yesterday, the HA relationship is expected to continue as it is. Is that safe to assume?

I just thought it odd that HP is now going head-to-head with one of their key Flight Fund partners and their announcement and web pages make no mention of whether that relationship will continue in its current form, change or end. I'm curious because I use this relationship quite a lot, and book tickets, mostly in F, months in advance. If we're no longer going to be able to earn HA miles on competitive routes, or some such change to the current program, I hope they provide at least 6 months notice. Any idea what's planned in this regard?
PM sent...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
ALSO, per the HP website, complimentary elite upgrades will NOT extend to Hawaii flights.
Does anyone know how other airlines would treat their elites on a similiar routing, say a NW plat flies DTW-HNL or a AA ex plat flies DFW-HNL would they also not be eligible for complimentary space available upgrades?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.