Being a Plat at HP Sucks

Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
The irony is at the last minute before the door shut the f/a comes up to me in 11 E and tells me, and THREE others around me to come up front. So accrding to HP for the last week, and up until check in, that first class was "sold out" only to see 4 empty seats up front. Am I supposed to believe that these were no shows? I have a hard time believing that. I believe they are holding 4 until the nth second for revenue, then releasing them.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by enviroian
The irony is at the last minute before the door shut the f/a comes up to me in 11 E and tells me, and THREE others around me to come up front. So accrding to HP for the last week, and up until check in, that first class was "sold out" only to see 4 empty seats up front. Am I supposed to believe that these were no shows? I have a hard time believing that. I believe they are holding 4 until the nth second for revenue, then releasing them.
They could have been misconnects that they were waiting for the last possible minute on. Four is a lot to hold until the VERY last minute, usually one or two but not four!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now this is really annoying

So my g/f and I are doing to to Detroit today for the weekend. All week long F has showed sold so knowing the both of us in an exit row was fine with me. I'm Plat, she's Silver.

About 15 mins ago I use webcheck in. We had two independent PNR's as having one would void the auto upgrade policy so just incase I thought...

Anyway, I start with her PNR. Get to the second page and to my amazement the page said "upgrade available, would you like an upgrade"? Of course I put her into 1A. Now--I am thinking that a few seats opened up and my PNR was swept last night and I'm in F as well and would just be happy both of us are up there.

WRONG. I immediately check in next of course to see the "there are no upgrades available".

While I'm not concerned in the slightest about sitting in the exit row as I would have given my seat upfront if my seat cleared but that is beside the point. What if some other Silver checked online this morning and snagged it over me. That is simply unacceptable. My PNR (or any other Plat with a greater EQM balance) should have been protected and gotten the upgrade.

What a piece of junk program. Major

Note from moderator: This post was merged into the existing active thread on the same general topic. -- AZ

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Jul 1, 2005 at 9:09 am Reason: Add note
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:05 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I told all of you in the "voted best FF program" thread that this (Elite) program is a joke compared to almost ALL others. Yet still, some of you knuckleheads defended and even VOTED for it....I'd love to meet some of these people that actually voted for it, and listen to their reasoning.

Ludicrous!!!!!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: US PLT, UA 1P
What Routes

Originally Posted by BillScann
Since moving some of my business over to America West a couple of months ago, I'm 12 for 12 in the upgrade department as a Gold.
What routes do you fly. Thats pretty incredible.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:06 pm

Programs: US PLT, UA 1P
Upgrade Advice (Edited)

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
On a recent flight from ORD to PHX I was standing in the cattle line waiting to board next to two gold members who were seated in first. (I was in coach.) I asked them if they bought F or were upgraded. They said that they were upgraded and that they kept calling until the last two seats being held "for sale" became available and then snagged them when they opened up the day before departure. As a Plat, this is extremely frustrating. If they want to hold back seats to sell, fine, but when they release them, they should go to the highest ranking elite members waiting to be upgraded. We shouldn't have to call them every hour to see if someone has released seats.
You are correct. It appears that THE best strategy is to call as seats are released.
AWA analyst will review revenue F seats on a frequent basis and normally release them between 4-6am and 7-9pm. So when you get the e-mail stating you were not upgraded, call and see if there is availablity because the upgrade check occured between 12:15-2:00am. If it isn't available, call after 9pm that same day.

I have employed the calling strategy, and have increase my upgrade percentage considerably, I never once got an upgrade on my MKE-PHX / PHX-MKE trips, but now that I call, I'm getting bumped up everytime. . . uncanny. I've even scored on the packed PHX-EWR flights

HP should change this ASAP, but as a lowly Gold Member I'm not upset with how it works right now.

I will say this F is no longer that desireable for me personally, while not an HP flight, I flew Delta the other day, got an upgrade, and spent 4 hours getting a back massage from the little pipsqueak kid sitting behind me , The mother was completely disinterested in what her child was doing. . . and she somehow managed to avoid me when I got up . . . and FAs of no use. truly amazing . . . I am incredibly tolerant and easy going. but I considered getting up and sitting in Coach . . . there were seats available.

Last edited by cpmairtight; Jul 1, 2005 at 5:24 pm Reason: Clarity / add info
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by mac5192117
I feel your frustration. I used to get upgraded at least 8 out of ten times on SNA/LAS. I was upgraded today and this is the first time is 8 flights! I too have seen others upgraded with less miles. This past Monday, they pulled two coach folks and gave them the two F seats that are apparently held till the last minute.

I have called and discussed this with AWA. I agree also that if enough loyal customers call we might get some attention.

I remember the letter sent to elites regarding the new upgrade policy awhile back but I don't believe it is working the way they implied.

On another note, when I checked in this AM (I had to call for asistance. Couldn't print the boarding pass with the web site) a screen notified me that F was available and would I like to be upgraded? Heck, I thought this was supposed to be automatic and as pointed out elsewhere, a day or so before the flight. What's up with that?
It sounds like USairways has their act together much better here. We are placed in a "que" based on our status and time of reservation. When upgradeable seats open up, they start at the top of the list. At the airport on the day of departure, another que is started with the priority based on status and time of check in. They try very hard to take care of their high status fliers, and as a CP, I get upgraded probably 95% of the time.

Last edited by bosco; Jul 2, 2005 at 6:56 am Reason: snafu
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bosco
It sounds like USairways has their act together much better here. We are placed in a "que" based on our status and time of reservation. When upgradeable seats open up, they start at the top of the list. At the airport on the day of departure, another que is started with the priority based on status and time of check in. They try very hard to take care of their high status fliers, and as a CP, I get upgrade probably 95% of the time.
Something like this is exactly what HP should be doing. Assuming elite upgrades are retained in the new program, and I fully expect that they will be, I suspect they will retain US's system. I can just imagine all the 100K+ Chairman's Preferred members response to having to deal with HP's "process."
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
It sounds like USairways has their act together much better here. We are placed in a "que" based on our status and time of reservation. When upgradeable seats open up, they start at the top of the list. At the airport on the day of departure, another que is started with the priority based on status and time of check in. They try very hard to take care of their high status fliers, and as a CP, I get upgraded probably 95% of the time.
So a CP who made his reservation say a month ago yet has fewer miles flown the last 12 months would get a higher place in the queue than a CP that has more miles flown in the last 12 months but made his reservation say a day later than the previous CP? I definitely don't like that at all. At the upgrade window (7 days or 3 days or whatever) there should be a queue based on status only and miles flown in the last 12 months only, not based on when you made your reservation for the flight.

As far as the standby list for upgrades on day of departure, I definitely wouldn't like that system. A buddy of mine on NW was hunched over his computer trying to check in at the exact 24 hours before the flight to get upgraded because he said something about it's based on the time you check in. I don't want upgrades based on being able to reserve a flight a month or two out or sitting at the computer waiting for the clock to roll around to check in time on the web.

Lance
Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:06 pm

Hello Elite members, being a FA for HP I understand your frustration. I too wonder sometimes how there are so many NON elites sitting in First class. I look at our Final paperwork which shows "who is who" and you would be suprised how many are just Flight fund w/no status, or just those who are not even a member. I guess if you get the upgrade be thankful, could be worse having to sit in a middle seat that doesnt recline or having to sit next to some steerage passenger who needs to buy two seats!
I think next time you get a seat in First, to observe those around you during the boarding process...you all look like Vultures pryin for road kill when it comes to getting an overhead bin with all your oversized bags that you should have checked at the ticket counter in the first place...its very amusing to see. Anyway enjoy your flight regardless of where you get seated, after the merger goes thru am sure you all will become regular coach passengers anyway!
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jetsetter2Ord
I think next time you get a seat in First, to observe those around you during the boarding process...you all look like Vultures pryin for road kill when it comes to getting an overhead bin with all your oversized bags that you should have checked at the ticket counter in the first place

While I agree with your statement, I also think HP needs to take responsibility in enforcing it's "size wise" steel cage at every gate. This would eliminate a lot of problems immediately.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I will never check a bag, unless for some unforseen reason I have something that has absolutely no possibility of being shoved into a bin. Between the TSA and the ridiculous drop times in PHX, you'd have to be nuts to let go of your bag.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
So a CP who made his reservation say a month ago yet has fewer miles flown the last 12 months would get a higher place in the queue than a CP that has more miles flown in the last 12 months but made his reservation say a day later than the previous CP? I definitely don't like that at all. At the upgrade window (7 days or 3 days or whatever) there should be a queue based on status only and miles flown in the last 12 months only, not based on when you made your reservation for the flight.

As far as the standby list for upgrades on day of departure, I definitely wouldn't like that system. A buddy of mine on NW was hunched over his computer trying to check in at the exact 24 hours before the flight to get upgraded because he said something about it's based on the time you check in. I don't want upgrades based on being able to reserve a flight a month or two out or sitting at the computer waiting for the clock to roll around to check in time on the web.

Lance
I assume it would be more complicated to keep up with everyone's status on a 12 month "rolling" basis.
As far as the day of departure status system, what would you suggest?
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I assume it would be more complicated to keep up with everyone's status on a 12 month "rolling" basis.
As far as the day of departure status system, what would you suggest?
The 12-month rolling basis is supposedly what HP does now, so they apparently have a system for it. That would definitely be the way to reward the most recent loyal customers. Second to that, I think the total EQM's from the prior, qualifying year would be good. At least those who qualified with the most miles will get a year of rewards for their loyalty.

I think the "when you're added to the list" approach is inferior to either of the above in several ways:

-- It rewards people who book furthest in advance, which are typically going to be the lowest fare passengers. If you're going to hold some seats back, wouldn't you want your passengers who are BOTH highest revenue and highest loyalty to get the benefit of the upgrade?

-- When you travel a lot on business it is difficult, if not impossible to focus valuable time and energy on making sure that you check in on-line at exactly the right moment or, even more ridiculous, get to the airport really early in order to position yourself high on the list for an upgrade. Busy executives just aren't going to do it. Consequently, they'll be low on the list every time. Why reward people just because they don't have much to do?
Old Jul 3, 2005, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.

Time of Reservation? I don't think so. It's based on #1 your status. #2 the time you checked in (online or kiosk) & #3 your checkin at the airport with an actual agent.

Time of Reservation is considered so that you don't have to call and asked to be put in the upgrade queue. But overall it's based on status and checkin times. I'm a US1 and have had US2's knock me out of FC because I forgot to checkin at the airport early enough (in PHX oddly enough). I won't make that mistake again.

I think US has the most generous upgrade program out there. I hope it remains after the merger. I get FC 99.9% of my flights.

Last edited by trvlr64; Jul 3, 2005 at 2:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.