What does an Above and Beyond certificate do for employees?

Old Jun 24, 05, 11:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PGA
Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Posts: 5,023
What does an Above and Beyond certificate do for employees?

I was surprised to find I had saved a couple of A&B certificates, and I had the opportunity to give them to a couple of HP employees who earned them. Just out of curiosity, what kind of brownie points do they get?
mbstone is offline  
Old Jun 28, 05, 9:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
As an employee, if we collect 10 A&Bs we get 2 roundtrip positive space tickets. Of course we have to pay tax for the value of the ticket thats taken out of our paycheck.
Many employees use them to help get family members on flights, as with our buddy pass system, and the full flights, its very difficult to get on flying standby these days.
As a suggestion, if you have A&Bs give them out and dont hold onto them til after they expire, nothing worse than finally getting one for a job well done to find out its expired...its like a slap in the face.
I recently had a Silver member say he would send me one after a job well done, amazing,I got the letter in my mailbox at work, but NO A&B card..I think he thought that if he stated in the letter to provide one for my good work that HP would provide one. Well that didnt happen.
Anyway it was a nice jesture to be recognized even though I didnt get an A&B.
It seems that only the first class FA seem to get them, now and then I will get one while working coach. But then again when I have worked first class and provide an outstanding service, most of the Elites fail to recognize good service, not even a thank you.
I enjoy my job regardless.
Jetsetter2Ord is offline  
Old Jul 2, 05, 9:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Friendly FA in AZ
Programs: Empty Seat Program
Posts: 96
Hi mbstone!

8 A&Bs will get us two fee-waived Space A tickets on several other carriers.
I like to use mine for Southwest tickets. Saves me $120.
Newbie employees who are not yet qualified for 'buddy passes' can turn in a single A&B for a Buddy Pass. (known as Flexi-passes now)

It's good if you add a little comment to the A&B, cuz we can copy them before we turn them in, and have that go in our file as positive feedback.
Lifer is offline  
Old Jul 5, 05, 11:27 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: TPA or 1C
Programs: Delta DM/3MM / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by Jetsetter2Ord
But then again when I have worked first class and provide an outstanding service, most of the Elites fail to recognize good
I am most definetely not one of them. Always make sure I let the FA's know what a great (and at times difficult/thankless) job they are doing.
Xcheckme is offline  
Old Jul 11, 05, 3:50 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Jetsetter2Ord
As an employee, if we collect 10 A&Bs we get 2 roundtrip positive space tickets. Of course we have to pay tax for the value of the ticket thats taken out of our paycheck.
Many employees use them to help get family members on flights, as with our buddy pass system, and the full flights, its very difficult to get on flying standby these days.
As a suggestion, if you have A&Bs give them out and dont hold onto them til after they expire, nothing worse than finally getting one for a job well done to find out its expired...its like a slap in the face.
I recently had a Silver member say he would send me one after a job well done, amazing,I got the letter in my mailbox at work, but NO A&B card..I think he thought that if he stated in the letter to provide one for my good work that HP would provide one. Well that didnt happen.
Anyway it was a nice jesture to be recognized even though I didnt get an A&B.
It seems that only the first class FA seem to get them, now and then I will get one while working coach. But then again when I have worked first class and provide an outstanding service, most of the Elites fail to recognize good service, not even a thank you.
I enjoy my job regardless.
I still have mine from 2004, I also have all 2005 Above & Beyond Certificates, my question is can I give more than 1 Certificate to the same person?, as I have received great service from an agent several different times in the past I am sure I will see her again in August.

As for your outstanding service in First Class you must be an exceptional person because 99% of the time when I was up Graded in 2004 I received absolutely Zero service from the person serving the forward cabin, I was up graded on 26 round trip flights last year that would be a total of 52 flights in First Class.
Rosco is offline  
Old Jul 11, 05, 4:44 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Posts: 2,232
OK.....looks like I will be on board HP for the 2nd time in 2 years, and I've received a Plat comp from the travel department last year, so I am now "general member".

I still have a sheet of 6 A&B certificates 2004....are they any good if I give them to some outstanding HP people on my trip this Friday?
jkc22 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 05, 6:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by jkc22
OK.....looks like I will be on board HP for the 2nd time in 2 years, and I've received a Plat comp from the travel department last year, so I am now "general member".

I still have a sheet of 6 A&B certificates 2004....are they any good if I give them to some outstanding HP people on my trip this Friday?
Yes they are still good... After your tip if you have some left over, you could send your unused ones to someone here that might fly often. I am sure many FT'ers come across HP employees that deserve them. Or send them to some of the HP employees that spend time helping out in here
SanDiegoShaun is offline  
Old Jul 13, 05, 3:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Friendly FA in AZ
Programs: Empty Seat Program
Posts: 96
The expirations on the card are misleading. I'm not sure what their purpose is?
The cut-off for employees to submit the 2003s was the end of March this year.
The 2004s are still good.
Lifer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread